Downtown Abbey

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
"Downton Abbey" starts it's last season on September 20. We're looking forward to it but with a little sadness. Ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

Sept. 20 in the UK right? It usually doesn't show in the US until January.

I know just what you mean. I felt exactly the same when Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad ended. Why!!!! And now, I'm on episode 17 of NCIS season 12, all that Netflix has to offer. Only 7 more episodes left! What will I do, what will I do? I guess I'll just have to practice my Ukulele some more!

Well, now I'm not sure. We'll have to wait for more info. My source is unreliable. :eek:ld:

It will premier Sunday, Jan. 3rd, 2016 in the US. This lag time between the UK and the US was always frustrating. I had to intentionally avoid listening to or reading anything about Downton because I had to worry about spoilers. One year I accidentally learned 2 major secrets before the season aired.

Last edited:
Well, phooey! Sorry for the misinformation, Peeps. I'll hafta have a talk with my source (wife and daughter), we all really like DA, and I guess Daughter got over excited by something she read.

When a rare good program ends, we always feel bad about it. But sometimes a show stays on so long that we lose interest in it. That's the better way. I think we probably watch too much TV anyway, though I usually fall asleep and hafta ask about the program afterwards.

Ain't old age fun? Sleep on the couch or in my chair and then toss and turn in bed--Ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

Big Downton Abbey fan, as well as most Masterpiece offerings. We also do the HBO series - was really sorry when Boardwalk Empire ended as occasionally ukuleles would be in an episode.

If you like Downton, you might want to keep an eye out for Upstairs Downstairs. The original series aired in the early 70's, and they made a couple of new ones 2 or 3 years ago. You can probably pick them up on Amazon.

I'm not a fan of either I'm afraid, but I remember watching Upstairs Downstairs when I was a kid, and it's probably very similar to Downton.

I really liked the first two seasons of Downton Abbey. Then season 3 came along and I thought it had all changed for the worse. At least I think it was season 3 that discouraged me. Maybe I enjoyed 3, and disked the 4th. I just can't remember. Anyway, as I recall everything changed after the war. It seemed to me that the grand plot of the Manor sort of dissolved into a number of less interesting sub-plots circling around individual characters' emotional turmoils. I guess another way to say it is that it devolved into more of a chic flick or soap opera than I was willing to watch. I was charmed by the first couple of seasons though, where the main emphasis was on the contrast between the upstairs and downstairs societies.

We usta be fans of "Upstairs Downstairs" too, and they were gonna restart it, but nothing's come of it yet. We, too, watch Masterpiece a lot. My wife likes the mysteries, but I don't usually care for them. The one about Selfreges is a bore.

If it's not super interesting and comes on after 9 pm, my wife has to tell me about it--when I wake up. :eek:ld:

Downton needs to step it up. They are deep into the 1920s and I still haven't seen an ukulele. Whereas, on Upstairs, Downstairs, I remember Georgina playing uke on at least one episode. Ball's in your court, Julian Fellowes.

We, too, watch Masterpiece a lot. My wife likes the mysteries, but I don't usually care for them. The one about Selfreges is a bore.

Does she watch Grantchester? A small village clergyman helps a detective solve murders in 1950's England. My daughter likes the clergyman because he is so handsome and charming. The series was only 6 episodes long and was renewed for a 2nd season to show in 2016. I enjoyed it but I haven't heard much talk about it. I don't know if people don't like it or if no one's heard about it or what. With only 6 episodes, it would be easy to miss.

No, mikelz777, we didn't catch "Grantchester". My wife likes all those mysteries, but maybe they didn't show it here. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom