Intonation - strings flat at 12th

deschutestrout

Reaction score
I just got a "new to me" Covered Bridge tenor. I'm a high-g guy, so I replaced the low-g set with Worth Brown mediums. The G and E All strings are a bit flat at the 12th. l'll let the strings settle a bit more, but don't see that solving the problem. What's an "easy" remedy to correct the intonation? Thanks.

Easy? It all depends on what you mean by "a bit flat" and "'easy' remedy". It's often possible to file the saddle in order to bring its cut-off point closer to the neck. This will have a "bit" of effect in the right direction, if you can do it. If there's space on the saddle to do it, bare in mind that you lower the action when you file it. Will it be enough??
I too had an ukulele that had all four strings a bit flat at 12 and I found that using Aquila Nyltech strings actually lessened the problem. Can't even imagine how, but it worked pretty well. (The new problem was I didn't like the sound of the instrument with the Aquilas)
I think the best thing you can do is consult the instrument's builder.
Good luck deschutestrout.

Last edited:
If you want to be REALLY fussy about the intonation then the intonation needs to be set for the string set in use. Different string sets will intonate differently.

Did you assess the intonation before changing strings? Are you going to stick to Worth Brown Mediums?

You need to settle on strings before getting too fussy about intonation.

Anthony

Last edited:
I had a very similar issue recently, involving Worth Brown strings as well. One of the many things I learned is that Worth Brown are thinner than most other strings and, therefore, need less compensation at the saddle.

An "easy" fix might be you try fatter strings, like D'Addario Titanium. Or the "Heavy" set, if you'd like to stick with Worth.

In order to reduce the compensation for the strings that intonate flat, you'll have to bring the breaking point on the saddle closer towards the fretboard. But as has been suggested, by just filing down the saddle that you have, you will lower the action which might flatten intonation as well, hence neutralizing the problem, instead of solving it.

You mention just the
G and E strings, how long you had the strings on, did you try other strings ?
Before taking extreme measures to compensate the saddle. Meaning shorting the scale..
I always say, i would like to see the uke, sometimes what you say may not be enough or the correct info provided
Its easy to misdiagonose, just like going to a doctor and telling him what you may think is wrong..doc i had a heart attack. you could really mess up your treatment if you said it on the phone
That is why they would tell you to come in...good luck

Ya know, I realized I put a concert set on, and the gauges differ slightly on the strings in question from what they provide with a tenor set (which I just ordered). I have a hunch this will make a difference (whether it's the difference I'm wanting, I'll have to wait and see). Thanks all for your input! I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom