Soprano Shootout - three entry level instruments head to head

bazmaz

Reaction score
Hi Baz,

Thanks for another great review. I tend to agree with liking the sound of the Kala. I've played a few of these in my local shop, and they've all been consistently good 'out of the box', which is a good thing for both Kala and for the beginners looking to purchase them.

All-though, these days I am liking the slotted bridge as opposed to the tie-bridge, partly for looks and partly for ease of use, but neither seems to matter as far as the sound goes, which to me is still the deciding factor - i.e., how it SOUNDS to me. :)

The Kala KA-S was my first uke, and I think it's a darn good one for the price.

I once looked at Kala ukes with little regard but more and more I see they are much better than the competition at the price point; although, only up to a certain dollar amount. This is just my opinion from videos I have heard, I have not had physical contact with a Kala; although I played two entry-level Lanikai concerts and they did not impress me.

Bazmaz, thank you so much for your videos and reviews. Like many, I am sure, you have been a wealth of information and entertainment to me for many months and I have not thanked you for what you have given me.
I raise my frosty mug high in the air to you. :cheers:

For me - they are all acceptable and good choices for a beginner on a budget - I hope that comes across. The act of putting them head to head meant that one had to come out above the others.

I wanted the Ohana to sound better than in did for me, but equally I think the lack of binding looked odd. I know they are budget instruments, but when the other two are the same price....

Kala just seemed to have the best mix - plus the side fret markers! Small things...

Another great review, as always. thanks.

Your ukulele reviews are among the most useful ones on the entire net. Down to earth, no BS, no marketing babble. Really appreciate the effort and work that goes into those.

Thank you kindly!
People don't always agree with them - and that is cool. Just my opinions. What they are not though is corporate adverts or the sort of reviews that brands themselves make and try to promote as being impartial!

A most useful review. Thanks Baz.

Top Bottom