Havana, Cuba...

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
...is where I'll be in 16 days (I just checked, and didn't realise it was that close!).

Staying at the Parque Central for a couple of weeks. Any suggestions on things to do and places to see?

I get my Cuban cigars in Mexico. Haven't been stopped at the USA border yet. ;) I understand Cuban tours are not exactly budget affairs. I'd love to go -- my junior college Spanish teacher was a Cubaña who taught me an accent Mexicans smile at.

One trip which is an absolute must for us is the drive down to Santa Clara, to the Mausoleum where the remains of Guevara and several of his compatriots from Bolivia are laid. There's also an eternal flame, lit by Castro. Can't really go to Cuba and not pay your respects to the man ( in a "just wanting to stand near his remains, nothing to do with god because I'm an atheist" way, I hasten to add, just in case those of you who know me well think I've suddenly got religion ;) ).

I get my Cuban cigars in Mexico.

I quit smoking 2 years ago, and went cold turkey on the nicotine gum last November when we went back to Hawaii. Typical...I couldn't have gone to Cuba 3 years ago and smoked my head off, could I!

I quit smoking 2 years ago, and went cold turkey on the nicotine gum last November when we went back to Hawaii. Typical...I couldn't have gone to Cuba 3 years ago and smoked my head off, could I!

haha. Mate, just hope the trip is everything you want it to be and more. As a devotee of Guevara it's gotta be as good as it gets. Enjoy brus. My only advice: get out to some live music venues and drink it in.

PS - and please post some pics here.

To do in Havana: Ice cream at Ofelia (as a foreign tourist, you'll be able to avoid the lines for native Cubans), photo at John Lennon statue, José Martí birthplace-museum (off the tourist beaten path, you'll need to take a taxi there, but it's worth the trip), Museum of the Revolution, mojitos at the restaurants around the Plaza de Armas, stroll around the Vedado or along the Malecón at night (it's safe), be careful with the jineteros (con artists) in the old city. Drink it all in-there's nothing like Havana and you're right to go now, before the American hordes descend. And speaking of drinking - beside the regular Havana Club, try to pick up a bottle of Guayabita del Pinar artisanal rum to take home. If you don't see it during your travels, don't worry, it's available at the duty-free shop at the airport before you go. Absolutely unique and delicious. And try to get out into the countryside, Sta. Clara, Cienfuegos, south coast of the island is beautiful. Music-be aware that the hotel shows feature 50's and older stuff for nostalgia audiences; the current music that everyone listens to is played either at house parties (Cubans can't afford to go out to clubs) or at makeshift venues that you'll have to suss out on your own. ¡Buen viaje!

Cheers pal, some great things to do there. It's 8PM here, and I have a 4 hour drive to the airport at 2AM, so I'm for ma bed.

Probably won't be bothering with the expense of internet access in the hotel, so catch y'all on the flip side.

1:30AM, managed 4 hours sleep, 3-4 hour drive to airport in 30 minutes and I just want to go back to bed. Anyone fancy taking my wife to Havana? The only catch is, you need to look like my passport picture, it's too late to change the booking.

have a fun and safe trip.. take pictures of the vintage cars and gals...you bringing sand to the beach? :)

have a fun and safe trip.. take pictures of the vintage cars and gals...you bringing sand to the beach? :)

IMG_20151001_111619.jpg

Just a typical scene outside the hotel at the lights. Nothing prepares you for quite how many old cars there are.

I should also point out, for the benefit of people who haven't been there. this isn't one of those staged pictures where they gather a group of people who own these cars then parade them together. This is just a random picture at a stoplight. These are all used as either personal transport, or cheap taxis for Cubans. Most, however, have had the V8 replaced with a 4 cylinder diesel from a Toyota or similar. The shiny mint cars that take the tourists on trips around Havana (me & Mrs Kahuna included) are all original though. More pictures to follow.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Buena Vista Social Club; incidentally, I just saw that the surviving members will be coming here for their final concert in a couple weeks.

If I were there, I would be trying to take in some son montuno, guajiras, and all the other great Cuban music from el campo. Maybe sample some Cuban mojitos. Checking out some of the faded glory of the old music venues. Trying to visit Egrem studios.

What are you up to over there?

Hey, Kahuna, do you speak Spanish?

Since it appears that you are a fan of Che, I assume you will be heading to Santa Clara. Check out Club Mejunje while there. I have yet to go to Cuba, but I have heard good things about that place, if you want to hang out with locals and hear some live music.

Last edited:
Since it appears that you are a fan of Che, I assume you will be heading to Santa Clara

Pretty much 90% of the reason I wanted to visit Cuba, just to stand in the same place as his remains - not from any "religious" or "spiritual" standpoint, purely to pay my respects to a great man.

che.jpg

We stayed as far away from Varadero as possible, which every Cuban we spoke to firmly regarded as "not Cuba!".

We visited:

Havana (all 11 days there)

1 day trip to:
Vinales

2 day trip to:
Cienfuegos
Trinidad
Sancti Spiritus
Santa Clara

Pics to follow...

Top Bottom