How is the summer over already?

Booli, you are a NJ guy right? Go to your closest shore town and enjoy the crowdless beaches, bars and restaurants. It's the best time along our magnificent shore line. We have at least 6 more weeks of great weather. Enjoy it!

Are you going to the Troy concert? That might be fun for you, as other forum members will be there. Tickets are still available.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am not aware of said concert, please, do you have link to share?

The autumnal equinox falls on September 23, 2015 at 4:21 A.M. (ET). Until then, you can still enjoy Summer. :D

P.S. Applies to those of us in the Northern Hemisphere.

Thanks for reminding me of the date...

According to the local 'News12' channel it seems we are losing about 1 minute of daylight per day since about August 3rd, with sunset being at an earlier time each day since then. (as a mental exercise, I used to memorize the tide tables for the USA Eastern Seaboard and sunrise/sunset times, back when I was obsessed with the Farmer's Almanac each time a new one came out each year, but I have not looked at an Almanac in over 15 yrs now)

Summer did go awfully fast. Wasn't it Memorial Day three weeks ago?

I know, right? :)

Let's all throw some uke parties in October.

Count me in! :music:

hey booli! i defo feel summer has sped by, but i think in an "as i get older the time goes by faster" sort of way! when i was a little kid summer holidays seemed to last about three years, now i blink after easter, and it's nearly christmas again! how is this happening?! i mean HELLO i'm only 21 :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's like time gets compressed and moves faster as you age, as WE approach the SINGULARITY LOL (who knows with the LHC in Cern nowadays?)

When I was a kid it was painful even to wait for the WEEKEND, and now they seem to come up and slap me in face faster than I even feel that the week has passed, never mind the summer itself.

Is this a psychological phenomena or mental perception thing that happens as you approach or eclipse the threshold of 'mid-life' (I'm 46 now)....or

is it more about a state of mind, and your own self-awareness?

Scary, very scary...

Booli, you are a NJ guy right? Go to your closest shore town and enjoy the crowdless beaches, bars and restaurants. It's the best time along our magnificent shore line. We have at least 6 more weeks of great weather. Enjoy it!

Thanks for the idea. Yes, I am in NJ, betw Morristown & Denville.

Bradley Beach/Point Pleasant is probably 45 mins if I have a tail wind.

I did something like that a few yrs ago and went down to Ocean City, NJ on Columbus Day, and many of the shops on the boardwalk were still open, and like you said, no crowds, and it was a bit windy, but still kinda warm and while the water was really too cold to swim (for very long, but I still went in as I'm a bit insane and can tolerate the 68 degree water for a minute or two), it was nice to spend time there.

I'll take a look at doing that again as a nice way to extend the 'feeling' of summer. Thanks :)

I live in the same corner of The Great Mojave Desert as VegasGeorge. This year and last year were really hot (even for Las Vegas). Long stretches of <100F. It was officially 106F today. I live in the Pittman area, so it was 3-5 degrees higher than that. Because of the heat, summers drag on forever, well at least until October.
That said, I'm glad I don't live in a cold environment. I'll take shorts, t-shirt and rubbah slippah over hard weather gear any day. YMMV.

This summer was weird. I made the pilgrimage to the place I should have born and raised (Oahu) during a "heat wave," 90F + humidity. Felt great to me.
Then I spent some time in Palo Alto, CA. Nice weather.

So, I got to miss a couple of weeks of the nasty stuff. Made the summer a bit more tolerable.

Yeah, it's like time gets compressed and moves faster as you age, as WE approach the SINGULARITY LOL (who knows with the LHC in Cern nowadays?)

When I was a kid it was painful even to wait for the WEEKEND, and now they seem to come up and slap me in face faster than I even feel that the week has passed, never mind the summer itself.

Is this a psychological phenomena or mental perception thing that happens as you approach or eclipse the threshold of 'mid-life' (I'm 46 now)....or

is it more about a state of mind, and your own self-awareness?

Scary, very scary...
i believe one theory is that it's to do with how long the summer (or whatever thing) is compared to your life up to now. when you are seven years old, six weeks is a much bigger chunk out of your life lived thus far, than six weeks is compared to how long you've lived when you're *cough* 39 or whatever. hence, summer lasted FOREVER vs. dude i blinked and it was gone

What ...have we had Summer ?...When ? ...where ? Mind you there was that day in July ..there was a disruptive patterning on the ground ...sort of a light and shade thing ...and a watery looking yellow object in a blueish grey sky......was that it ...????..Coo.:rolleyes:

i believe one theory is that it's to do with how long the summer (or whatever thing) is compared to your life up to now. when you are seven years old, six weeks is a much bigger chunk out of your life lived thus far, than six weeks is compared to how long you've lived when you're *cough* 39 or whatever. hence, summer lasted FOREVER vs. dude i blinked and it was gone

That makes perfect sense to me and really easily explains the feeling of time becoming compressed as you get older.

- You, BEVOMU, are a GENIUS! :) -

What ...have we had Summer ?...When ? ...where ? Mind you there was that day in July ..there was a disruptive patterning on the ground ...sort of a light and shade thing ...and a watery looking yellow object in a blueish grey sky......was that it ...????..Coo.:rolleyes:

yeah CeeJay...that's kinda what I feel too, but the soupy-thick muggy haze outside kept me from staring at that yellow blob for too long, and soon it's going to be shining only like 6-8 hrs per day, and then I will miss it during the long, dark winter.

Glad I don't live in/near Alaska where there are parts that have 24 hrs of darkness for many consecutive months at a time (and then 24hrs of daylight for the other months) - I read lots of folks either get put into a mental hospital or suicide themselves in that environment, not sure I could survive there.

My wife was a teacher and then a librarian. She usta feel sorry for the hot, sweaty, red faced little kids in August thru October.

I usta hate when she had to go to school in the dark. :eek:ld:

In the winter, my daughter catches the bus in the dark. She is on there for almost an hour...45-50 minutes.

I do. The camps, the memories. Each year is never the same, but some how they get better, but you're sad because the people aren't there. Long walks, great talks. No schedule. *Sigh* Who wants to start and anti-school protest with me?

I will! I adored going to camp when I was young. Then I worked for years as sailing/canoeing staff, taking the Girl Scouts on 3-5 day sail and canoe trips out on the eastern end of Long Island. That beach became a kind of spiritual home to me. I go for walks there each weekend and have a home nearby. I still am friends with some of my camp friends. Your post has brought all this back to me. Thank you!

Summer will come back.

It always does.

Top Bottom