Hi from central New Jersey!

SockmonkeyUker

Reaction score
I'm a uke newbie who is attempting to self-teach but is willing to go the instructional-video route--can anyone recommend some good beginner-level ones? I'm also beginning to suffer from UAS--about to buy my third uke!

Welcome! Try the videos on the Home page here on UU to get started.

Welcome to UU!

Are you set on video courses, or will books with CDs do as well? I have no experience with commercial videos (other than the ones here, which are good!), but for a beginner (and beyond) book I can recommend "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning the Ukulele". It's fairly comprehensive and covers most bases. It may well be the only book needed for quite a while.

What ukes have you bought so far? :)

What exit?

I'm from 19 originally (I-80), but my folks retired to 98 (GSP), and I'm currently in Shanghai.

Welcome

Last edited:
I am up in North Jersey, near Morristown.

If you can learn from books, and are a song-oriented person as opposed to music theory oriented, you might want to check out 'The Daily Ukulele' books. They have the first edition of 365 songs, and then came out with a 'Leap Year' edition with another 365 songs, and then there is a baritone version of the first edition showing how to play those songs with the chord fingerings for the standard baritone G6 tuning (DGBE).

These books were put together by Liz and Jim Beloff, who are responsible for many parts of this wave of ukulele popularity, and these books are one element of their efforts. I've spent time with them in person at 2 different ukulele festivals and thy are some of the nicest people on the planet.

If you click on the corresponding picture in my signature below, you will be taken to the web site for the books.

The are also availabe in a few different ebook formats, e.g., Amazon Kindle, but may be hard to read on a screen less than 10", so using the Kindle Reader on your iPhone is likely not going to be a fun experience.

Despite some folks accusing me of being compensated by the Beloffs, I am NOT in any way shape or form compensated, and this is a direct link to their site, and I have it in my signature because their products have personally helped me and want to spread the word so that other folks can benefit the way that I did.

Aside from The Daily Ukulele books, you should be aware there are many different series of lessons, right here on Ukulele Underground, as well as their new site Lesson Underground. Ryan and Aldrine have done a great job with their ukulele instruction course-ware. I was a member of UU+ for a year and it was great to be able to take the lessons on my iPad, but I found that I did not use it as much over time, so did not renew. Aldrine is a great teacher and THAT web site, is the REASON for THIS web site.

Might be worth checking out for you too.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com (NOT the same as this site with the forum where you are reading this message)

http://www.lessonunderground.com

:)

Last edited:
Welcome to the UU!! I am also from central NJ.....exit 9!! Tons of videos on youtube. I am self taught as well.

Top Bottom