Low G, firefly Banjolele?

Braga2966

Reaction score
Any good string sets? Sound good and no hassle to put on for a Low G setup;)?

It came with Aquila strings. Just get an individual Aquila low g. While many prefer other strings, high tension strings tend to bring out the best in banjo ukes and Aquila Super Nylguts seem to be the "standard.

I got a low G "reds" from Aquila and it doesn't fit right nor sound right compared to my other Kala concert with a Low G

Are there Aquila reds on the banjo Uke? Aquila nylgut banjo uke strings normally come reentrant, but individual nylgut low g strings are available.

I wouldn't overlook a set of Fremont Blackline low g strings either

Nah I got just the ukulele kind, I figure it's now my back up for my concert Kala that has a low G lol (same reds on that one).

Ah so Aquila makes banjolele strings and a Low G option? And how are the black line I've seen them mentioned in forums.. Difference?

Ease of installation? Plug in play or will I have to make a wider slot to fit the string in for the G? I didn't have to for my Kala concert uke.

Thanks again for the recommendations and info I appreciate it :)

You could consider getting an Aquila Fifths set and turning it into a mini-tenor banjo. ;)

Fremont Blackline are high tension strings that may sound slightly less "bright" than the Aquilas while maintaining the plucky sound. Many people are a little turned off with how bright many banjo ukes sound. Aquila concert strings are very nearly the same diameter as banjo uke strings and many here use them. Here's the Aquila Red low g strings: http://www.ukuleleworld.com/AQUILA-...-Key-of-C-replace-3rd-wound-string-2-pak.html

Nah I got just the ukulele kind, I figure it's now my back up for my concert Kala that has a low G lol (same reds on that one).

Ah so Aquila makes banjolele strings and a Low G option? And how are the black line I've seen them mentioned in forums.. Difference?

Ease of installation? Plug in play or will I have to make a wider slot to fit the string in for the G? I didn't have to for my Kala concert uke.

Thanks again for the recommendations and info I appreciate it :)

Last edited:
I don't want Aquila Reds, it doesn't sit well on the bridge it keeps slipping off and buzzing the notch won't hold it. Perhaps there is a low G that isn't massively thick?

image.jpg

You could consider getting an Aquila Fifths set and turning it into a mini-tenor banjo. ;)

You know, I had 95% talked myself out of a banjo uke and then you had to go and suggest that. Sigh.

You know, I had 95% talked myself out of a banjo uke and then you had to go and suggest that. Sigh.
Sorry if I'm a corrupting influence... NOT! For a really strange and challenging re-entrant experience with a banjo-'uke, merely flip a standard string set and tweak it to pseudo-fifths a#FCg. Fun fun fun! Or to channel a different tradition, slack a DGBe set to CGBd, or a low-G GCEa set to FCEg, and you have a mini-plectrum banjo. I do plan to build myself cheap banjo-'ukes to exploit those tunings.

How do you turn a concert banjolele into a tenor? It's so lite it can't handle a lot of tension with the friction tuners I figure?

How do you turn a concert banjolele into a tenor? It's so lite it can't handle a lot of tension with the friction tuners I figure?
I have considered modding a soprano banjo-uke (with friction tuners) into a concert or tenor by merely bolting on a new neck (with geared tuners). Longer composite strings would not have substantially greater tension, not enough to strain the bracing bar in the pot. I might hesitate to use steel strings on that, but Nylgut etc should be no problem.

I have considered modding a soprano banjo-uke (with friction tuners) into a concert or tenor by merely bolting on a new neck (with geared tuners). Longer composite strings would not have substantially greater tension, not enough to strain the bracing bar in the pot. I might hesitate to use steel strings on that, but Nylgut etc should be no problem.

Yes I tried some aluminum wound GHS strings and promptly took them off as it was too much tension

Ok, after a few brands I went for the clear Worth Low G set. Sounds great and the clear is a sharper sound.. Makes it sound very banjo-esk in a sense. I had to file the slot in the bridge to sit decently because it was snapping off while playing the low G and I had to keep putting it back on. I'm figuring I may have to some more because it sits in the slot now but the Low G has some buzzing. I will also say the worths feel sharper on my fingers then the smooth Aquila strings so it feels like a whole other beast playing-wise. Just want to figure out how to solve the buzzing without breaking or having to replace anything lol any ideas?

Top Bottom