Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain Tour, current American Tour.

Hms

Reaction score
To anyone going to see George and his merry band, be aware there is a rip off group touring in the same area's at the same time.
Please double check that the group you are booking to see is the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, the originals, not some poor imitation group with 8 members, two of which are female.

See the following article. (Although they do have trouble getting the names correct!)

http://www.theguardian.com/music/20...n-uk-ukulele-orchestra-shadow-tour?CMP=twt_gu

h

Getting their name wrong all the way through makes a bit of a mockery of the article, but just to clarify - The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain are the originals, who I would happily pay to see. The United Kingdom Ukulele Orchestra are a poor copy. If they played in my back garden, I probably wouldn't bother opening the curtains.:D

Last year, I was approached on behalf of a local theater about helping to promote a concert by TUKUO here in Upstate NY. I replied that the best that they could hope to get from me was a protest sign the night of the concert, and several letters to the local papers suggesting people not support the concert. Then I sent a couple of the copies of the original newspaper articles to the folks who contacted me.

I was thanked cordially, and the messages and articles were forwarded to the appropriate parties.

TUKUO is not playing in my immediate area. The UOGB, however, will be at the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall in Troy, NY on October 9, at 8 pm, for the 30 Plucking Years tour.

Good seats are still available.

-Kurt​

I have no affiliation the the UOGB, or the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, other than being a member of the TSBMH.

Last year, I was approached on behalf of a local theater about helping to promote a concert by TUKUO here in Upstate NY. I replied that the best that they could hope to get from me was a protest sign the night of the concert, and several letters to the local papers suggesting people not support the concert. Then I sent a couple of the copies of the original newspaper articles to the folks who contacted me.

I was thanked cordially, and the messages and articles were forwarded to the appropriate parties.

TUKUO is not playing in my immediate area. The UOGB, however, will be at the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall in Troy, NY on October 9, at 8 pm, for the 30 Plucking Years tour.

Good seats are still available.

-Kurt​

I have no affiliation the the UOGB, or the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, other than being a member of the TSBMH.

Kurt, are you going? I'll be there ...can't wait!

Looking forward to seeing them in Bloomington Indiana on Oct 8th. There will be some people camping on the UWC field for the event and the Flea Bitten Dawgs are playing in Nashville In. on Sat the 10th, going to be a great weekend.

TUKUO.jpg

Here's a good example of the UKUO confusion. The large photo at the top of the page is the UOGB. And I think the quotes refer to the originals as well, not the UKUO. I think this may constitute fraud...

View attachment 83971

Here's a good example of the UKUO confusion. The large photo at the top of the page is the UOGB. And I think the quotes refer to the originals as well, not the UKUO. I think this may constitute fraud...

Wow! At least profound carelessness on the part of the venue. I wonder if they even know who they booked...

In fact most of the write-up on the Dana Center website is taken (with a few alterations) from the UOGB website. Quite blatant. As you say, it could be the theatre making a mistake, but surely the orchestra have some input into their publicity?

In fact most of the write-up on the Dana Center website is taken (with a few alterations) from the UOGB website. Quite blatant. As you say, it could be the theatre making a mistake, but surely the orchestra have some input into their publicity?

Certainly not meaning to defend them, but out of curiosity, I looked at the adverts on the other venues on the tour, and none of the others have that UOGB crossover content-- in fact, virtually all use the same verbiage and photo which is probably out of the UKUO presskit. So I think it does lend credence that somebody over at Dana Center googled some information on the wrong band. If anything, it does emphasize that there is confusion between the two groups. But however cynical the UKUO may be, I doubt they would deliberately make people think they were seeing UOGB by using their UOGB's photos and press info.

Certainly not meaning to defend them, but out of curiosity, I looked at the adverts on the other venues on the tour, and none of the others have that UOGB crossover content-- in fact, virtually all use the same verbiage and photo which is probably out of the UKUO presskit. So I think it does lend credence that somebody over at Dana Center googled some information on the wrong band. If anything, it does emphasize that there is confusion between the two groups. But however cynical the UKUO may be, I doubt they would deliberately make people think they were seeing UOGB by using their UOGB's photos and press info.
I emailed the venue about the error, and they have replied - they are aware of the discrepancy, and it will be rectified.

I emailed the venue about the error, and they have replied - they are aware of the discrepancy, and it will be rectified.

Just checked, and it has been corrected! You've made the world safe for Ukulele Orchestras once more. :)

Irony Department: While messing about on UKUO's website, I discovered they are playing 15 minutes from me at a price roughly the cost of a first-run movie. So we're going to go see them, possibly with hoodies pulled over our faces so no one will see us there...

Just checked, and it has been corrected! You've made the world safe for Ukulele Orchestras once more. :)

Irony Department: While messing about on UKUO's website, I discovered they are playing 15 minutes from me at a price roughly the cost of a first-run movie. So we're going to go see them, possibly with hoodies pulled over our faces so no one will see us there...
Hope you enjoy it! If not, ask for your money back - you were expecting somebody else...
It is a bit odd that on their website they appear to have changed their name to The Unique Komedy Ukulele Orchestra. If it helps to avoid confusion, that's got to be good.

Hope you enjoy it! If not, ask for your money back - you were expecting somebody else...
It is a bit odd that on their website they appear to have changed their name to The Unique Komedy Ukulele Orchestra. If it helps to avoid confusion, that's got to be good.

I think The Unabashed Krauts Ukulele Offalstra works better.

I saw the (original) UOGB last night, and it was wonderful! I highly recommend the show to uke players and non-players, alike....

Kurt, are you going? I'll be there ...can't wait!

I had my tickets within 30 minutes of them going on sale, but couldn't get front row, center.

So we are in A 101-104. Center is 105-106.

The Troy Savings Bank Music Hall has the finest acoustics of any small hall I have ever been to.

-Kurt​

Getting their name wrong all the way through makes a bit of a mockery of the article, but just to clarify - The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain are the originals, who I would happily pay to see. The United Kingdom Ukulele Orchestra are a poor copy. If they played in my back garden, I probably wouldn't bother opening the curtains.:D

Definitely a copy. And all the things that go with that... But from the videos I saw I'd at least open the curtains.

I had my tickets within 30 minutes of them going on sale, but couldn't get front row, center.

So we are in A 101-104. Center is 105-106.

The Troy Savings Bank Music Hall has the finest acoustics of any small hall I have ever been to.

-Kurt​

Hi Kurt! I'll be in Row D seats 100-102 with two of my girlfriends. Will look for you! And, if I remember correctly, you first announced this on the Forum. Thank you again for this...that's how I found out about the show!

Top Bottom