How many ukuleles to a festival?

You could just take 1 and an extra G or g string. Changing a string doesn't take long if you really need to do it.

Seems strange that they'd specify tenor. I can't really imagine what they'd teach you that if you took say, a concert, you wouldn't be able to do.
I thought that myself.

I only carry one because we dont' get a room and I have to carry it all the time. If we had a hotel room, I might take two. Last year I took two and it was a nightmare.

....I'm taking a workshop with Gerald Ross./QUOTE]

You're doomed. You will see him play his lap steel. You will fall in love with lap steel. You will tell yourself that lap steel would be a great addition to your ukulele videos (that are only in your head). You will then have to get a lap steel. Seriously. How do I know this? Experience.

And if it is true for you? Let me know. You can buy mine.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!! I don't need any more instruments that I love and can't play!

I can't wait to hear him. I haven't heard steel uke. (How much do you want for yours? haha)

I only carry one because we dont' get a room and I have to carry it all the time. If we had a hotel room, I might take two. Last year I took two and it was a nightmare.

Thanks for that, Nickie. I was wondering.

See you both there :)
I was thinking of bringing high G and low G uke but I probably end up just bringing my "beater" strung high G. Still not sure…

edited to add: looking forward to Gerald's workshops. He's a member here, if I'm not mistaken he plays high G. Maybe he'll see this and chime in...

Thank you, photoshooter. I listened to his CD a couple of weeks ago and I think you're right, it's re-entrant. All signs are pointing to: one.

The few uke festivals that I have attended, unless stated otherwise, the seminars and classes were re-entrant oriented. People showing up with anything different spent more time trying to figure out how to make whatever they brought to work for them, than they actually spent learning something. Plus, it is always easier to travel light.

I didn't even think of that. Excellent, thank you very much!

Thanks to you all very much for your good advice. I hope I get to meet some of you this weekend!

I knew I could count on UU for help.

Regards.

Bring only one. I bring a low-G, that's my preference. It doesn't really matter if it the tune is for low-G or reentrant, it's the fingering and timing that you want to learn. Also, forget bringing a music stand. Bring a plastic pants hangar, the single bar kind that has 2 clips to hold the pants legs. You just hook it over the chair in front of you and clip the music to it. Works great and nobody seems to mind because they're always sitting a little forward and never feel it.

Bring only one. I bring a low-G, that's my preference. It doesn't really matter if it the tune is for low-G or reentrant, it's the fingering and timing that you want to learn. Also, forget bringing a music stand. Bring a plastic pants hangar, the single bar kind that has 2 clips to hold the pants legs. You just hook it over the chair in front of you and clip the music to it. Works great and nobody seems to mind because they're always sitting a little forward and never feel it.

Nice advice. Imprefer a re entrant in group settings as I can hear my Uke better. I would consider a tenor and a soprano. I like to switch it up.

I only carry one because we dont' get a room and I have to carry it all the time. ... Last year I took two and it was a nightmare.
And that's why I want to build a two-neck 'uke, probably a re-entrant concert and a linear tenor, probably resophonic so I don't have to mess around with fine woodwork. The fun part will be finding or making a case or bag into which to fit the beast. Note: I've done no festivals yet. Always a first time...

Rockyl commented that it didn't matter how the uke is tuned because you are there to learn the fingering and timing. I would add that I would play softly if I was concerned about clashing sounds because of different tunings.

Top Bottom