Season 190: The South's Gonna Do It - A Tribute to Southern Rock

Debby

Reaction score

Hello, Seasonistas!

This Season is all about the southern rock bands mentioned in the song, The South's Gonna Do It, by the Charlie Daniels Band. If you have never heard the song, please listen to it. It was released in 1974 on the album, Fire on the Mountain. The bands mentioned in the song are:
Grinderswitch, The Marshall Tucker Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dickey Betts (who was in the Allman Brothers, so their songs are acceptable), Elvin Bishop (Elvin Bishop Group), ZZ Top, Wet Willie, Barefoot Jerry, and the Charlie Daniels Band.

I'm not interested in other bands that the artists collaborated and associated with...as there are numerous and I feel it would be overwhelming. I've been on the fence about the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, since Elvin Bishop performed with them at the beginning of his career...but the bulk of his career has been with his own band...and Paul Butterfield is Chicago blues...so lets pass on that, for this season, and stick with the Elvin Bishop Group, please. There are plenty of blues tunes that can be picked from the bands listed in the South's Gonna Do It song, if you are inclined to play the blues (which I love). There are also many folks that have been in and out of The Marshall Tucker Band....many associated bands, I like a lot of them... Please don't include them, this week.

Also, I think it's interesting to note that many of these bands, listed above, have collaborated together. I'm sure many of you know that. For example, Charlie Daniels has collaborated with The Marshall Tucker Band many times. Dickey Betts was on Grinderswitch's first album.

For the songwriters: Please feel free to bring whatever you want. Whatever you have been working on and would like to share would be great. If you would like any sort of guideline, I'm particularly fond of songs that have a plot. CDB has many songs that tell a story and they are some of my favorites. It's not a requirement, though.

Typical Seasons rules apply. Please don't start the season until midnight on Sunday (Hawaii time). Please post all new vids for this season.

Please limit your entries to 4. This is the first season that I am hosting, and I want to make sure that I can keep up and do a good job! If you do extras, please put them on the Island. I will listen to them, as I have time.

For prizes, I'm going to pick a couple winners and crochet some hats or headbands (your pick) and mail them out. My daughter will also make some bracelets to mail out, as well. She loves sharing her little creations.

Have fun! I'm looking forward to listening to your entries!

Playlists:
Season 190: Covers
Season 190: Originals
Season 190: Extra Videos That Compliment This Season

Last edited:
Great theme! Since Derek Trucks was in the Allman Brothers Band, Tedeschi-Trucks Band (or Susan Tedeschi songs) should be fine, as well. Along with Govt Mule (Warren Haynes, another longtime ABBer). Just no Neil Young!

NO NO NO!!!! No Tedeschi-Trucks, or Govt Mule, and no other associated bands. I was very specific.

NO NO NO!!!! No Tedeschi-Trucks, or Govt Mule, and no other associated bands. I was very specific.

Yes, you were. My bad. ***apologies***

I don't mean that to sound harsh. I just feel we need some boundaries because there are many many associated bands. Please stick with the ones I listed...and only the ones I listed. If those bands aren't labeled on the album cover, then it does not apply to this season.

One question Debby. These are any songs covered by these bands right? Your not looking for only songs they have written are you?

One question Debby. These are any songs covered by these bands right? Your not looking for only songs they have written are you?

Any song ever done by any of these bands work. I labeled the play list as covers because its OUR covers of their songs. The other playlist is OUR originals. Sorry if that confused you. Does this clear that up?

Yes. It wasn't the way you listed it. it the way my brain works.

Me: Oh wow this is awesome. There is a million songs to choose from!

Me: Oh wait......

Me: I wonder if she wants all original written songs by these guys???

Me: Why don't you ask with your fingers crossed.

Me: Ok I think I will.

Me: Tap tap tap Hmmmm

Me: Hit the refresh button why don't you!

Me: Yippie!

Yes. It wasn't the way you listed it. it the way my brain works.

Me: Oh wow this is awesome. There is a million songs to choose from!

Me: Oh wait......

Me: I wonder if she wants all original written songs by these guys???

Me: Why don't you ask with your fingers crossed.

Me: Ok I think I will.

Me: Tap tap tap Hmmmm

Me: Yippie!

I aim to please! I almost had no song number limit...and I figured I need the boundary because it could go crazy...that may be one rule that I lift. We'll see how it goes. If people don't mind that it would take longer to judge, I may lift that limit. I think some really good stuff will come out of this season and I don't want to hinder that. So let's see how this goes.

I aim to please! I almost had no song number limit...and I figured I need the boundary because it could go crazy...that may be one rule that I lift. We'll see how it goes. If people don't mind that it would take longer to judge, I may lift that limit. I think some really good stuff will come out of this season and I don't want to hinder that. So let's see how this goes.

Every thing works better with boundaries :)

Your the host!

Now how many people will break that rule for you?:anyone:

This place if full of rule breakers. :rolleyes:

fab theme! this all gonna be new stuff to me, as a brit the south is brighton, and thereabouts ;), so lots of new songs and indeed bands to discover for me this week!

nice one debs!

have fun hosting! :rock:

Oh,do my eyes deceive me? Llynrd Skynrd....ZZTop....I get Scrabble tiles like that !!!!

I might have to check out the other bands ,but the Llynrd Skynrd and ZZ Top crew ...dull as ditch water.......never did a song worth listening or that you could tap your foot to, just as sure as I am riding this Dragon.

Lynrd Skynrd and ZZ Top....'Ahm in Hawg Hayven .....

fab theme! this all gonna be new stuff to me, as a brit the south is brighton, and thereabouts ;), so lots of new songs and indeed bands to discover for me this week!

nice one debs!

have fun hosting! :rock:

Thank you!

Oh,do my eyes deceive me? Llynrd Skynrd....ZZTop....I get Scrabble tiles like that !!!!

I might have to check out the other bands ,but the Llynrd Skynrd and ZZ Top crew ...dull as ditch water.......never did a song worth listening or that you could tap your foot to, just as sure as I am riding this Dragon.

Lynrd Skynrd and ZZ Top....'Ahm in Hawg Hayven .....

Hopefully you will find something you like!! or bring an orig!

Top Bottom