B7 is my current bugaboo, any help???

Many people find fretting any barre chord difficult, even simple ones like a B7. The difficult ones take a lot of practice but that practice shouldn't get in the way of having fun in the meantime.

The more you practice and faster you learn barre chords, the more fun you will have! :)

This isnt my thread so i apologize for the mini-hijack but this post is a great example of why i love UU, especially as a beginner.

Encouragement, work-arounds, long-term skill development strategy... lots of ways of looking at and solving a problem. cool stuff. thanks to everyone who contributes

Tried that already

If you barre with your index finger, you can use your second finger to push the index down. I see some guitarists doing this.

I've tried that and all the other combinations for 2322 already. It does help a bit but I can't consistently get it to work.

Note, I'm probably doing all kinds of screwy things in order to make other chords work! :shaka:

You may be able to just practice barring all 4 strings with your index finger... 2222.

If you can get used to placing a barre across the strings and getting a clean sound, then it is just a matter of fretting the other notes as needed.

If it hurts your finger just to do a barre, you may have to lower the strings or get lower tension strings.

John

Ummm...

You may be able to just practice barring all 4 strings with your index finger... 2222.

If you can get used to placing a barre across the strings and getting a clean sound, then it is just a matter of fretting the other notes as needed.

If it hurts your finger just to do a barre, you may have to lower the strings or get lower tension strings.

John

I can get 2222 to work by slightly rolling my index finger clockwise. However, that doesn't work with 2322 all that well because the middle finger is rotated too and it mutes the A string. Note, I think the higher tension strings on a Pono are the real issue here.

Have you tried using your ring finger (instead of the middle finger) for the 3 in 2322? That gives me better results.

I can get 2222 to work by slightly rolling my index finger clockwise. However, that doesn't work with 2322 all that well because the middle finger is rotated too and it mutes the A string. Note, I think the higher tension strings on a Pono are the real issue here.

You know... that video above really is helpful. Granted, higher tension strings require more pressure, but the technique described is still valid.

I had never been told or shown that technique, but I was 13 when I first picked up a guitar and, back then, unless your fingers were bleeding you weren't trying hard enough... lol

John

EDIT ADDED: Also my choices were the guitar or the accordion and in 1964 there was no way I wanted to learn the accordion. No offense to any accordion players out there.

Last edited:
Just one observation - and I will admit I did not watch the video so I apologize if it is mentioned there already...
Many people, especially when learning, have a tendency to look at their fingers while fingering chords. This often means that they have to tip the top of the fretboard back so that they may see their fingers. This also means that the wrist is now curled farther, making fretting more difficult and inviting fatigue since you now have to press harder to get a clean sound.

My suggestion is to relax a bit, offset the pressure needed to fret with the thumb on the neck, and keep that fingerboard perpendicular to the ground - as close to a vertical plane as possible.

"Wait! Then I can't see my fingers!"
"You should be looking at your music, not your hand." This was what my teacher always told me YEARS ago when I was taking guitar lessons.
It may seem awkward at first, but trust me it gets easier. Your hand / wrist position will improve and your transitions will get smoother, especially when you no longer need to look at them. Practice and patience.

Top Bottom