Seeking weird tenor

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have several ukuleles of the usual *standard* size & shape. Now I want to get a different looking, NON-standard size & shape -- a tenor that folks will say, "Whazzat?"

Help requested. Humbly. Can anyone suggest the make & model number (not a custom job) of an unusual-looking tenor, around $350 or less, with a solid top?

Does such a creature exist? What? Where?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32153959359...99&_trkparms=gh1g=I321539593598.N36.S2.R2.TR2

For $303.99 you can get an Ohana off set sound hole Modern Design Ukulele. But I just now realized that link is to a concert and I can't find a tenor like it on their web page. :( But other than being concert size it is very interesting. It is on my watch list on e-bay currently. (but the seller has 10 of them but HA doesn't qualify for free shipping )

For about $200 ish you can get the Kala Arch Top Jazz Uke

Someone has beat me to the Bruce Wie Gypsy uke... Being in HA you should not have any trouble with it. Some say they crack in dry climates but I know someone who has bought over 50 ukes from Bruce and not had this problem. (mine is also doing fine)

There are also the cocobolo ukuleles some look very interesting
http://cocoboloukuleles.com/

Would you consider a Resonator or "sidekick" tenor size banjolele ?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Go to Dans Guitar on Beratania St. in McCully. You will find the most weird Tenor, I saw it and was in Awe, It was Weird, Cool ,amazing, asking myself Why and then why not, to each there own. must have been a pain to make. For sure only one of its kind.

Not your regular shaped ukulele.

You'll find many odd projects at Indestructables.Com including pocket, one-piece, cardboard, book, tin-can, cigar-box, folding, Tahitian, and odd-geometry 'ukes. Elsewhere, this silent electric 'uke should turn heads, as should these Tahitian 'ukes. Have fun!

PS: Another thread sought a quirky soprano. Well, my wife is a soprano, and she's pretty quirky; and I'm a tenor, and I'm fairly weird; but we aren't for sale. For rent, maybe. ;)

Last edited:
Wow -- a lot of great ideas! Many many thanks unto all.

Right now I'm leaning toward either a Fluke or a resonator, with somewhat greater preference for the latter. BUT -- does a resonator sound like a real uke? Or what?

Top Bottom