Aloha from N.E. Florida

HCarlH

Reaction score
I just returned from a week vacation to Oahu (my first there) and had to bring back a ukulele. I've been playing guitar for 40 years (off and on) and play in a dance band. The ukulele has really captured me. It sounds like a harp, a mandolin, and a plucked violin at the same time.

I'd like to get proficient on this instrument....maybe put a Floyd Rose tailpiece on it and run it through a Marshall stack.

(just kidding)
I also discovered Hawaiian music while I was there. Kuana Torres Kahele
and Maunalua are my new favorites. I briefly saw Maunalua in Waikiki by accident as I was walking around. They were playing outside at some type of awards presentation (I think) at a hotel. They're amazing! A little bit like if Crosby, Stills, and Nash went to Hawaii to make an album.

I bought a starter ukulele ($249?) ....an offshoot brand of Leolani (it says The Waikiki Ukelele Company on it)....from Ukulele PuaPua at the Sheraton Hotel in Waikiki. I love the looks and tone, but the action is REALLY HIGH past the 3rd fret. It's just under 4mm at the 12th fret. (pictures attached)

I'd really like to get it lower, but even if the bridge saddle is removed, it's still high (and you can't play it without the saddle in place). Is it possible to have a lower profile bridge installed? I like everything else about it.

I hope to spend a lot of time here. :)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_zpsz0rkzb39.jpg
    FullSizeRender_zpsz0rkzb39.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1
  • FullSizeRender_1_zpsta7sgvmt.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1_zpsta7sgvmt.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 4
  • FullSizeRender_2_zpscigqs4hi.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2_zpscigqs4hi.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 5
Greetings and welcome, glad you joined us. Lowering the action not rocket science if you are the least bit "crafty". Here are several sites that provide a "how to" https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ukulele+lower+action

Thank you, Campbell and Phil !! :)

I've started to file down under the bridge saddle already...will need to continue on that. I may have to get used to the action and buy a better axe down the road. I usually play Stratocasters in my band so I'm used to higher than "plays like butter" action. Even if the saddle if removed, the action is too high.

I keep convincing myself that the uke I have looks and sound great (it does) to keep me from stressing I paid $250 for a uke that's harder to play. Live and learn.

Aloha and welcome to UU. Glad you joined in and glad you got a uke. They are great.

IMHO your action is high. It is a personal thing but I looks like doing any barr chording would take too much effort. Here is some discussion on string height http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...-string-height

Any good guitar shop should be able to adjust it if you don't want to try. It isn't that hard if you want to give it a go. The saddle should come off so you could sand the bottom. If the nut needs filing a welding torch cleaner is an inexpensive alternative to nut files (~$10)
torch cleaner.jpg

Just make sure you tilt the file so the break point is at the "zero fret" spot and not up the nut. Lots of good vids out there

Have fun, good luck and keep us posted

Aloha and welcome to UU. Glad you joined in and glad you got a uke. They are great.

IMHO your action is high. It is a personal thing but I looks like doing any barr chording would take too much effort. Here is some discussion on string height http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...-string-height

Any good guitar shop should be able to adjust it if you don't want to try. It isn't that hard if you want to give it a go. The saddle should come off so you could sand the bottom. If the nut needs filing a welding torch cleaner is an inexpensive alternative to nut files (~$10)
View attachment 84153

Just make sure you tilt the file so the break point is at the "zero fret" spot and not up the nut. Lots of good vids out there

Have fun, good luck and keep us posted

Thanks, Van!....but even with the saddle removed it's still high. There would have to be a lower profile bridge installed (1/2 the height which I don't know if that exists).

Actually, it's the intonation which suffers the most around the 12th fret....I can almost deal with the height playing-wise. It will not deter me as most of the time I will probably be playing from the nut to approximately the 7th fret.

I'm just surprised I bought it at that price without looking around more. I would never impulse buy a guitar. As I said, it looks and sounds great (it has Aquila nylegut strings), so I should be able to work through this and enjoy it....until I buy a real Hawaiian uke down the road. :)

Welcome and good luck. High action causes all sorts of crazy stuff....

Top Bottom