International Ukester Reflections: High US $$$ Killed my UAS

One potential effect of the exchange rate is some builders might cut some costs? I just received a Scott Wise tenor, which is a fantastic sounding uke. Getting used to a narrower and thinner neck than the Pono MT I started with, etc.
So NO complaints about the instrument. But in comparison to some Wise ukes here, I notice:
Mine came in the Uke Crazy hard foam case, not a higher end case.
I was under the impression that the headstock logo was an inlay, it's now a pearlescent decal kind of thingy.
The bridge is a tie, whereas all the others I've seen are a slot. Not sure if he's changed or whether a slot is easier to build or buy from a supplier? I thought the slot bridge was to keep things as light as possible.
As stated, the build and tone are most important, and I have no issues there. I also use the Mono M80 case, so the Uke Crazy went with the Pono. Just reinforces the importance of communicating all the details in advance as much as possible.

Well said. And yes I sought out Scott solely due to our stay in WA three years ago ( and the reputation of his ukes).
Perth is a very big city in comparison to Margaret River. But then one has to consider that Australia is a huge continent similar in size to the US that has the population of Texas sprinkled here and there. With most of the worlds most poisonous/deadly beasts roaming the land and sea. Gotta love it!!

Bill does make a good point. I have the pleasure of playing some of Bill's ukes as we attend the same Saturday farmers market jam. It's all his fault that I now own a Barron River and I will thank him forever.
But back to the point of my reply, I currently have a National Style O that belongs to a mutual friend who is overseas.
This is a US$2700(list) instrument. Yet it too has a decal on the head stock and the case, while sturdy, is not flash.
I see this as an example of how builders in general and why luthiers of customs, in particular, offer a very long list of options that you can have for extra $ on top of a base price. Those options rarely, if ever, make the Uke sound better. They're offered for a different reason. We, the buyer can personalise but at a cost in expensive foreign currency.
I have now commissioned 3 customs now so I know how the base prices jumps when I make the choice to add what many people would say was just bling.
PS. And Bill, watch what you say about my "dulcimer thing".

If you're spending $2000.00 on a uke. There should not be a decal on the headstock. This would be a deal breaker for me.

I am looking at a Barron River Uke. What kinds of BR Ukes do you have?

I am looking at a Barron River Uke. What kinds of BR Ukes do you have?

I have a 8 string tenor in the mail at this moment. Others that I know have; a taropatch and some tenors. Look at the gallery on the BR website to see what Allen has been crafting.

I'm not sure what is going on with the used market. The used market just dropped quickly. I've seen some customs sitting on flea market not to mention a lot of mya moes coming up. They were selling quickly when I first joined. Now they sit unsold.

Perhaps the sellers are expecting too high of a used price.

I would be interested to hear other's thoughts on the used market.

for me as a relative beginner who isn't rich, the extra $ that I paid for new felt like an investment in (a) getting exactly what I wanted and (b) a LITTLE more 'buyer protection'.

Not exactly a custom - I just bought a used Kala KA-ACP-CT via eBay. The seller had it listed at a fixed price that was approx. 90% of the price to buy new. I was, however, able to negotiate and ended up paying around 67%. I do feel that preowned items sold online are often over-priced. I remember 'back-in-the-day' when you would expect to pay about half-price for anything bought second-hand. Even if it was in 'as new' condition.

Buying brand new does offer certain extra 'reassurances' that buying used does not and I feel that this should be reflected in the price difference.

Lately, I've noticed more private sales of decent instruments on eBay.uk. There's usually hardly anything worth getting excited about - currently there are about four or five ukes that I'm tempted to bid on.

Okay. Now this sucks.

CDA dollar is headed to $.73 due to oil slide. Thanks to OPEC!!!! :mad:

I will focus locally or AUSTRALIA.

Okay. Now this sucks.

CDA dollar is headed to $.73 due to oil slide. Thanks to OPEC!!!! :mad:

I will focus locally or AUSTRALIA.

The most expensive uke.......even in USD currency is much less money then the cheapest Porsche. We are in a relatively inexpensive hobby compared to Bass Fishing, Motorcycling, Car Restoration etc. etc.

Just keep buying what you want. In five years from now it won't matter what they cost you today.

Top Bottom