Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Guitar Question

Default Small Guitar Question

Is there such a thing as a guitar (6 string) that is roughly the size of a Soprano/Concert Ukulele?

I've tried to play a normal sized guitar and it was way too big for me. I was wondering if there was a smaller sized one that I might consider trying out this time next year. I'm a 5ft 3 female, so no great arm length.

As you know I'm already learning the Uke Soprano, and the Mandolin so I'd like to get them under my belt before getting any more, plus my bank balance needs a bit of rest first.

Also what would be a good make to look out for a beginner?

Thanks
    Purdy

I just found this Guitalele on Amazon, its the size of a Uke but stringed for a Guitar. It's gone straight on my Xmas present list:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-GL1-G...+nylon+strings

Dave sent me an email yesterday on a tenor guitar Pono may be coming out with based on their smaller scaled guitar. It has a fretboard of 21 3/4". Looks really interesting. http://ponoguitar.com/index.php/mode...or-guitar.html

Big Scioto, way down south in the Yankety-Yank

Yes, there are soprano scale guitarleles/guitaleles/guileles...but they are rare. I used to have one:
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...ano+guitarlele

Most guitarleles are tenor scale (like that Yamaha GL1; Cordoba also makes a popular one), a few baritone.

There are also 3/4 size and 1/2 size guitars, typically aimed at kids, but good for smaller adults...as well as various small-bodied travel guitars of various scale lengths.

I have a Yamaha APXT2 (acoustic/electric), which has a small, shallow body and a 22.8 inch scale. I like it very much - sounds nice and is comfortable to play. (I'm 6'1" but have back and shoulder problems that make it hard for me to play a full size acoustic.)

Last edited by Camsuke; 10-14-2015 at 12:18 PM.
    All the best,
    Campbell

I have a CORDOBA MINI guitar that has the scale of a baritone uke. It is very convenient to me and the sound is very good.

The Cordoba Mini is a great little nylon string guitar. Baritone uke size. It comes with A tuning strings, but you can get standard guitar tuning strings (E) from Cordoba. They are rated really well and come in three different wood options.....sitka/mahogany, sitka/rosewood, and all ovangkol. HMS carries them, as well as Elderly Instruments. A great value given the price IMHO. Nice sound, sustain, intonation.
    Susie

I have the Yamaha guitalele. It works, is about all I can say about it. It sounds quite terrible to me: no life, dull, low volume, etc. Now, I believe that the tone of an instrument doesn't matter if one doesn't know how to play in the first place. And if one knows how to play, then their music will outshine the dullness of an instrument. Having said that, I make-do.

there are some tiny Mexican
    guitars, don't remember what they are called, that are that small.

The closest I have come to awesomeness in a small guitar is the Tacoma Papoose. However it does have steel strings, though you can string it extremely light. It also should be tuned A to A instead of E to E, but that puts it in standard uke tuning on the top 4 strings. It really sounds like a guitar, though of course the tuning is higher. It also has a 19 inch scale.

I would go with one of the nylon string guitaleles to start. I had the Yamaha, it was fine for what it was and is budget friendly. Strings have a lot to do with how it sounds. It gets you a guitar for really reasonable. You can also find either of them used if you haunt Craigslist.

Also you will likely need to have it set up wherever you get it, though if you go to Frets.com and follow the setup guides you could probably do it yourself. You file or sand the bottom of the saddle down to lower the action if it comes with a tall saddle, then set the string height at the nut. Same with ukes really, many come with a very high action.
    I should be curling up with a good uke, a book and my dog.

Thread Information