Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small Guitar Question

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    The small Martin played by MacKenzie Bourg on American Idol was probably a size 5 Terz Guitar
    (Apologies for the hijack.) MacKenzie is a tenant in my apartment building in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles, he's been living there about a year and half with a roommate. We once talked about him hiring a uke player for a gig he did. I knew he was pursuing music and wondered if he would go for American Idol, then surprise I saw him on the show. So for he's moving along.
    Last edited by kohanmike; 02-12-2016 at 10:32 PM.

• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    • Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.
    • Patronize Bruce Wei Arts eBay store/custom shop in Vietnam http://stores.ebay.com/Bruceweiart-M...nstrument-Shop, good products, reasonable price. (Don't heed old reviews, he makes good stuff.)

Kinnard makes an Octave Guitar, which says it has a scale of 13-3/4", so that is just about a soprano size scale.

http://www.johnkinnard.com/gallery.html

Then it will sound like a uke with two extra bass strings.
    Last edited by Teek; 04-16-2016 at 08:58 AM.
    I should be curling up with a good uke, a book and my dog.

The GL1 is fun but I find it's hard to finger because of the small space.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “By all means break the rules, and break them beautifully, deliberately and well.”
    Robert Bringhurst: The Elements of Typographic Style
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

As for steel strings, Ibanez has just started making a Piccolo Guitar (EWP14), i.e. a steel string Guitar in the size of a Tenor Ukulele.
    Got one....love it! Also have the Yamaha GL1. It's fun and cool, but not nearly the instrument the Ibanez is....IMHO.

If you want folk/classical nylon strings, Cordoba makes a few different small guitars from 1/4, 1/2 up to 3/4. I was given a 3/4 Protege to review and it's actually my favorite guitar for traveling. It's small enough in the gig bag to not be awkward, light weight and short enough to fit overhead bins. It plays almost as well as the full sized classical and it has a slightly narrower fretboard. Sound is good.

The point here is that the 3/4 size is almost the same playing pleasure as a full-sized guitar but a lot more portable. Fender makes a steel stringed version in the 3/4 size for acoustic steel. Many people buy the Baby Taylor which is also a 3/4 but I can't see paying that kind of money for a travel guitar.
    Ukes: Mainland mahogany tenor, Eleuke Tenor Solid Cutaway Sunburst
    Guitars: Yamaha GS-90, Marcario flamenco negra, Cordoba Protege 3/4

I have the Cordoba Cadete 3/4 (24" scale) nylon string with the cedar top, and love it, and also the Cordoba Mini R nylon, which I probably mentioned already, 20" scale, love it! I got both used for a steal.
    I should be curling up with a good uke, a book and my dog.

The Cadete came out before the Protege and they are very similar. I love my Protege. I know this is funny, but I keep it next to my bed. Sometimes I can't sleep, and I can play it in bed. Unlike a bigger guitar, the smaller bout doesn't get in my way if I'm sitting flat on a bed.
    Ukes: Mainland mahogany tenor, Eleuke Tenor Solid Cutaway Sunburst
    Guitars: Yamaha GS-90, Marcario flamenco negra, Cordoba Protege 3/4

Hi, first time here. I have been learning on both nylon and steel full sized guitar and am drawn to a small(er) guitar, not a ukulele but a travel guitar. There is a Cordoba that's been mentioned here, equally an Ibanez (steel). I like the idea of a wide-ish neck, any suggestions? Thank you (btw, based in the UK). Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mheuter View Post
    Hi, first time here. I have been learning on both nylon and steel full sized guitar and am drawn to a small(er) guitar, not a ukulele but a travel guitar. There is a Cordoba that's been mentioned here, equally an Ibanez (steel). I like the idea of a wide-ish neck, any suggestions? Thank you (btw, based in the UK). Martin
    Welcome to the forum.

It's unfortunately no longer available, or I would already have one, but if you can find one used, a Tacoma Papoose P1 might just be the pinnacle of small sized steel string guitars.

Thread Information