Remembering Musicguymic

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
It was two years ago today that Michael "musicguymic" Aratani passed away after a long struggle with health issues. Like many of my UU friends, I bought my first online 'ukulele (a Kala solid acacia tenor that now belongs to a friend) from his eBay store. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Wine Country 'Ukulele Festival in September 2010, and I visited with him a few times after he closed his eBay store due to health issues and began working at Hawaiian Music Supply aka The Ukulele Site where, in October 2012, he sold me my treasured Kamaka 8-string baritone 'ukulele.

Those of you who are newer to UU and never met "MGM" either in person or in cyberspace should know that he was the heart and soul of, and the goodwill ambassador for, the 'ukulele community for many years before his passing. He was extremely helpful to and patient with people who, like me in 2009, wanted an 'ukulele but had no idea how to shop for one. He posted sample videos of most of the 'ukuleles he had access to on his YouTube channel, where he also posted infectiously fun "Aloha Friday" videos and video reports from 'ukulele festivals and from NAMM. I didn't know him very well, and I don't know that he would have thought of me as a friend, but he was such a big personality here on UU that I still miss him every day. I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the anniversary of his passing.

If you'd like to learn more about Michael, this thread, announcing his passing in 2013, is a good place to start.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?87883-Just-lost-a-friend

If you'd like to remember, or meet, him through his videos, here's his YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/musicguymic

On the left, below, is Michael's UU avatar. On the right is a photo of Michael taken in September 2013 at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival in St. Helena. This is how I like to remember him, with a huge grin and radiating the spirit of Aloha.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Please take a moment today to keep Michael in your thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
This is one of those moments that UU really needs a "like" button.

Mahalo for sharing Mark.
My fondest memory of Michael was at HMS. I went in there and I was goofing around playing some songs and he grabbed a U-Bass and we started jamming a couple of tunes.
Many people in Hawaii are friendly and gregarious by nature, but Michael was extra nice and extra friendly at all times. He always made you feel good.

This is how I like to remember Mike. Just another day at the office for him. Check "The Smile" at the end.

Thanks Mark...

i am sitting here at the HMS store right now...i remember the good times me and Corey had with Mike till the end....Thanks for reminding what today was....:)

the folks at Hawaii Music Supply still talk/remember MGM all the time

Mike was a gateway drug for ukulele. A 'back turned' test he did for me at HMS led me to trying to find a used Kanile'a, which led me here and to many people I consider my friends to this day. And Mike helped so many of them too.

Yeah, I got my Kala from Mike... I was looking on line, dropped him an email, and got a nearly instant response of "Call me" - and it was 3 am in Hawaii!

We talked for nearly an hour, I told him I needed to think about the uke (a little out of my price range), and he said "OK - call back any time - I don't sleep too much"

I sent another email about 3 hours later, and he instantly responded , saying "Call me - I tol' you i don' sleep."

I also met Mike at the 2013 Wine Country Uke Fest, and the heat was so hard to deal with - 105 in the shade, and Mike wasn't doing too well, but kept smiling. I wish I'd had the money to take a few ukes off of his (and HMS's) hands, but more than that, I wish I'd been able to spend more time with him. Meeting Mike was like bumping into that Best Friend you've had Forever, just haven't seen in a while.

(Kinda like TCK and Gyosh...)

-Kurt​

I'm not big on anniversary celebrations like this, but I am happy to celebrate my memory of a guy who really was what he seemed to be. On of the friendliest people ever, just as devoted to ukulele players and the community as he was to those of us who had the pleasure of doing business with him. We were not just customers. He made us all feel like best friends. Mike was a joy.

OK, very weird. MGM must be in my subconscious because I've been thinking about him today, so random; I had no idea it was the anniversary of his passing. RIP MGM, you are missed.

Beautiful post Mark. Mike is a legend of the instrument and will never be forgotten.

Awesome Mark and thank you, Mikes memorial anniversary is friday, may he rest in peace
One of the nicest guys i knew..

Always loved his Friday videos with his crew...

Great post and I can not believe it has been 2 years. I, like 90% of the members, bought a uke from MGM. What a great person and a real treasure. It was an honor to know him and......I miss his Aloha Fridays!!!!

It was two years ago today that Michael "musicguymic" Aratani passed away after a long struggle with health issues. Like many of my UU friends, I bought my first online 'ukulele (a Kala solid acacia tenor that now belongs to a friend) from his eBay store. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Wine Country 'Ukulele Festival in September 2010, and I visited with him a few times after he closed his eBay store due to health issues and began working at Hawaiian Music Supply aka The Ukulele Site where, in October 2012, he sold me my treasured Kamaka 8-string baritone 'ukulele.

Those of you who are newer to UU and never met "MGM" either in person or in cyberspace should know that he was the heart and soul of, and the goodwill ambassador for, the 'ukulele community for many years before his passing. He was extremely helpful to and patient with people who, like me in 2009, wanted an 'ukulele but had no idea how to shop for one. He posted sample videos of most of the 'ukuleles he had access to on his YouTube channel, where he also posted infectiously fun "Aloha Friday" videos and video reports from 'ukulele festivals and from NAMM. I didn't know him very well, and I don't know that he would have thought of me as a friend, but he was such a big personality here on UU that I still miss him every day. I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the anniversary of his passing.

If you'd like to learn more about Michael, this thread, announcing his passing in 2013, is a good place to start.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?87883-Just-lost-a-friend

If you'd like to remember, or meet, him through his videos, here's his YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/musicguymic

On the left, below, is Michael's UU avatar. On the right is a photo of Michael taken in September 2013 at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival in St. Helena. This is how I like to remember him, with a huge grin and radiating the spirit of Aloha.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Please take a moment today to keep Michael in your thoughts and prayers.

Hard to believe another year has passed. The void MGM left is still here.

Seems like just yesterday he was giving his guidance anytime I had a question. Always good advice and always positive. He is missed. RIP.

Another MGM customer, sorry to learn that he is gone

Aloha! I'm brand new here. I'm looking for a new uke and have been wondering why I couldn't find the same Hawaiian guy I bought my first one from on ebay ~5 years ago. I have a dozen browser tabs open with different uke places. One of these is The Ukulele Site, where I just read the name "music guy mic." Suddenly I realized that MGM was the guy, and that he has been gone for several years, so I'm on my own. I am sad to hear this. Googling "music guy mic," I found this forum and this thread. My first 'ukulele was a Kala SMHT, bought on ebay from MGM. I trusted MGM and was not disappointed. Now I'm looking for a Hawaiian-built solid koa concert, maybe with a honu or gecko inlay to remind me of my favorite place (Maui). Kanile'a might have what I'm looking for. Without MGM's ebay store, I am picking through a bunch of sites.

After reading your posts, I had to sign up and say, "Me, too!" And of course, I look forward to uke talk and general aloha (I'm in western WA and could use some right now). I enjoyed the youtube link posted above and will look for more of those.

Mike sold my my first Uke, a Kellii. When I received it the bridge was lifting a bit on the corner. Mike replaced it without any questions. I bought my second Uke from him as well. He was so full of knowledge and love for the Uke. Always quick to respond to a question or a need. One of the best people I have ever met in my life. I know he is resting in Aloha.

Aloha! I'm brand new here. I'm looking for a new uke and have been wondering why I couldn't find the same Hawaiian guy I bought my first one from on ebay ~5 years ago. I have a dozen browser tabs open with different uke places. One of these is The Ukulele Site, where I just read the name "music guy mic." Suddenly I realized that MGM was the guy, and that he has been gone for several years, so I'm on my own. I am sad to hear this. Googling "music guy mic," I found this forum and this thread. My first 'ukulele was a Kala SMHT, bought on ebay from MGM. I trusted MGM and was not disappointed. Now I'm looking for a Hawaiian-built solid koa concert, maybe with a honu or gecko inlay to remind me of my favorite place (Maui). Kanile'a might have what I'm looking for. Without MGM's ebay store, I am picking through a bunch of sites.

After reading your posts, I had to sign up and say, "Me, too!" And of course, I look forward to uke talk and general aloha (I'm in western WA and could use some right now). I enjoyed the youtube link posted above and will look for more of those.

There are several uke dealers out there with great spirit and care for their customers - Mim, UkeRepublic, and HMS to name a few - you'll be in good hands.

MGM sold me three Dolphins when I got a wild hair to get ukes for the rest of the family. He was a great guy and my "dealer" for quite a while.

Top Bottom