Any comparisons of Kala spruce and concerts? (ASOV ACP-CTG SCG FMCG)

RickOlson

Reaction score
After playing various ukes from different makers, I've getting ready to pull the trigger on spruce or cedar concert. I have learned that I generally like the feel of Kala's in my hand, so I've narrowed the decision to these:
ASOV-C Spruce/Ovangkol
ACP-CTG Cedar/Acacia
SCG Spruce/Mahogany
FMSC Spruce/Flame Maple

They all seem to get really nice reviews here and other places. I haven't been able to find all of them in a concert locally, and the only concerts I did see (SCG and ACP-CTG) had distracting intonation problem at both ends while other similarly price Kalas didn't. I expect a setup would fix the problems. So I'm not really able to make a good comparison. I'm hoping you can help.

I'm not especially worried about the bling, or bone/Nubone, or solid/laminate. But if you have two (or more!) of these, I would appreciate any comparisons you have. Does anything stand out about one model? Or are they all play and sound pretty similar in the end.

Thanks for the help. I hope you'll make my decision easier, but I suspect not ;)

If I had to pick one based on reputation garnered from the members here it would be the cedar acacia. That concert model has gotten rave reviews from people here that own very expensive ukuleles. Katysax is one such person and she owns some of the best custom build ukes on the planet. She was impressed enough to buy one, that says it all.

I own a Kala concert spruce top with mahogany back and sides (possibly laminate) I honestly dont play it much. I bought it from the market place here at UU the grain around the sound hole is doing something a bit odd which was hidden by the angles of the sellers photos. I'll admit I neglect it leaving it in its case, but I neglect most of my ukes having a fav soprano sized player but I'm getting off track.

sound-hole-top.jpg

The spruce top is pretty loud and very bright. Its a ukulele I would take to a group session if I played in a group and really wanted to be heard.

Another concert sized ukulele I own is a used well loved Koaloha that is as loud and much fuller sounding. Alone the spruce top Kala sounds fine but once compared to the Koaloha it sounds a bit thin or tinny. Which might be just the sound you are after.

The real issue is every ukulele has its own voice, every one holding a different song waiting to be pulled out by the right musician. Or at least that's what I tell myself to reason not selling anything... ever.

good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, Dave and Al. I think I understand the comparison between the spruce and the koaloha. I am looking for something on the bright side. Something that says, "I am a fun ukulele!" People generally refer to cedar as "warmer", but I'm hearing plenty of punch, just not as much as the spruces.

The uke with the soundhole looks like an SCG. My guess is that they didn't do a good job sanding/finishing. I think that's the least expensive of the models I listed. I didn't like that as much as the cedar or the spruce/ovankol, so I think I'll cross it off the list. Thanks for taking the time to post the pic.

I tend to write a lot to not say very much... I talk more.

Don't let my wonky sound hole on my KA-SCG sway your decision I bought it used through the marketplace from a member here. It likely was the reason it was as "inexpensive" as it was. Originally sold and setup by Mim's from what Ive been told. It is a beautiful instrument to play and very loud I'm just more into sopranos.

The mention about the sound hole was a small rant. I asked when I first received it, the seller stated it wasn't a second and never noticed it. I could believe this easier if the sellers pictures were not taken in a way it was always hidden under a string. Then there are the 2 Risa sticks both with crazy fret wear, one complete with scratches across the fret board from someone who shouldnt be using tools near an instrument. The seller when questioned "never touched the frets".

But Ive also had very good experiences as well my most played ukulele was bought and setup from ukegirl, a KA-SEM I got for a great deal IIRC around $85 with a nice padded case and extra strings.

Back on topic the spruce around my sound hole appears to be receding between the harder grain lines. I originally thought it a humidity issue others here thought it was cut with a dull blade. Either way it is a slight cosmetic imperfection and really doesn't effect the play ability or sound of the ukulele. I've thought of selling it many times but its just so pretty my lady always mentions how much she like it. I would expect this to be an oddity and not the norm for this model.

Remember my most loved ukulele the SEM was well under $100 and my well loved Koahola concert was sold to me for $100 so price can mean very little. Setup is everything so buy from someone known to do a good setup. The setup from Mim's is spot on while UG's setup was a bit conservative but very acceptable. One other thought "strings"! Aquila reds are a bright string that some describe as guitar like or metallic. They woke up and added a brighter dimension to the sound of my SEM. I wouldn't think of putting them on my spruce top but then again you never know until you try.

Good Luck

And now Ive talked about it so much guess whats coming out of hibernation at least for a little while.

lol

That's always the way it happens.

And here I was thinking you did me a favor by mentioning a "flaw" that would give me some excuse to cross something off the list. I think all the ukes I'm considering are a good value. I just need one to speak to me. Right now they're like a basket of kittens and I always want the last one I held.

Top Bottom