early 1950's tenor Martin 1T for sale

justjudy

Reaction score
Hi All.. My father owned a music store in Pacific Palisades, CA in the 60's, 70's & 80's, prior to that he worked at one in Santa Barbara. I am looking to sell his early 50's Martin tenor 1T style uke. It has been played but not a lot. The case is in rough shape but still holds this sweet sounding uke snuggly. It is in pretty darn great shape for being over 60 years old. I have attached the best pics I have, which should show the few tiny dings as well as where my dad (unfortunately) put his initials and the year he got it inside. It plays well in my opinion and definitely has been carefully cared for. I am new at "forums" in general so please bear with me.. I can be reached at 509-475-4868 (Please leave msg if I don't answer). $1,500.00 including shipping.

Attachments

• DSCN0174.jpg
    DSCN0174.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCN0176.jpg
    DSCN0176.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN0178.jpg
    DSCN0178.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN0179.jpg
    DSCN0179.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN0180.jpg
    DSCN0180.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 165
Thank you :) I really want to find it a great home where it will be played and treasured.

any suggestions for other places to sell this 1950's Tenor Martin T1?

I would be grateful for any suggestions on places or even consignment options to sell this beautiful instrument... I am not in a hurry to sell it but I want it to be seen by true Martin ukulele lovers.... I am out of my element here :)
Thanks for looking!

beautiful ukulele. I have the same model. If you look at ebay completed listings you can get an idea of what the current value is. the 5 that recently sold, all sold for less than $1000., some a lot less. you may have to adjust your expectations accordingly. just trying to be helpful here. You could also list it on Flea Market Music.

I owned one nearly identical to yours, with case, too, very nice condition, and sold it six months ago for $1100 shipped and was happy to get that. I remember three plus years ago when ukes were in vogue, especially Martins, and could garner almost what you’re asking. Those days are gone (unless you wait for 2040, aka uke wave four). Just being helpful. If it’s a family heirloom, and the electric bill is paid, might keep it for future gens. Aloha.

I have the same Martin Tenor & wouldn't sell it for that asking price.
As stated if the bills are paid why sell an heirloom? once you do it will be gone & lost for future generations. I even bought a Kala just for traveling around so the Martin wouldn't get beat up.

Last edited:
Judy-
This Martin tenor appears to be in "excellent" condition, and would be well worth checking out for the vintage minded player. Sixty plus years of history held in your hands.

It's also cool to have your Dad's story that matches his initials and the background of this particular instrument. He was obviously proud of the purchase back in '54.

Best of luck on the sale!!

Last edited:
I agree that the asking price is too high. You could expect that 5 - 10 years ago, but not today. Prices on vintage Martin tenors have come down.

I wouldn’t consign anywhere other than Hawaii Music Supply. They are the best in the business!

I give up. Too many appraisal expert monitors on this forum. FMM Marketplace ads do not have this nonsense.

I wonder how they would like this unasked for advice on THEIR marketplace ads....Hmmmm?

A) Justjudy states she was “out of her element” as it regards the selling of a vintage Martin uke.
B) This forum is generally a kind and helpful place.
C) I believe most responders to the OP are just trying to provide helpful advice - including me.
D) Vintage Martin tenors in Excellent condition aren’t selling for $1500
E) You may have noticed that she has been trying to sell the uke for over two years
F) See bullet point D

A "best of both worlds" solution would simply to provide the OP with advice via PM. They receive the information you'd like to provide, and it avoids hijacking/tampering with the for sale thread. My two cents.

-Steve

A "best of both worlds" solution would simply to provide the OP with advice via PM. They receive the information you'd like to provide, and it avoids hijacking/tampering with the for sale thread. My two cents.

-Steve

I generally prefer that approach as well. However, the OP has exactly 4 posts to her name, all in the interest of selling this uke. If someone's participation in UU is strictly business, I don't see where communicating openly is a problem.

Last edited:
hmm, advice was asked for.

It's obvious that people were well intended. That said, my opinion (not actually griping or finger pointing here, just voicing opinion), is that the "marketplace" section of the UU forum should be treated like classified ads, while advice should be sought and given in one of the other sectons, like "buying tips" or "uke talk." Not a rule or anything, that's just my personal take on forum etiquette. Again, not trying to stir the pot or argue with anyone. It just seemed to me that she asked for advice about potential other selling venues. I don't see where advice on pricing was solicited.

Cheers all, and good luck with your sale, Justjudy!

-Steve

It's obvious that people were well intended. That said, my opinion (not actually griping or finger pointing here, just voicing opinion), is that the "marketplace" section of the UU forum should be treated like classified ads, while advice should be sought and given in one of the other sectons, like "buying tips" or "uke talk." Not a rule or anything, that's just my personal take on forum etiquette. Again, not trying to stir the pot or argue with anyone. It just seemed to me that she asked for advice about potential other selling venues. I don't see where advice on pricing was solicited.

Cheers all, and good luck with your sale, Justjudy!

-Steve
I guess I took the "out of my element" comment to mean she needed help finding out why her uke was not selling.

Top Bottom