Oahu bound - NUD

Bob-in-Alberta

Reaction score
My wife and I are off to Oahu in a couple of days for a holiday that will include picking up a new ukulele. I've ordered a Pono MT mahogany tenor strung low g with a misi pickup from Hawaii Music Supply and we'll we picking it up on one of our rental car days while exploring the north shore. I've been telling people that flying to Hawaii and picking it up is the frugal thing to do as we'll save on shipping charges. Most of them just kind of look at me funny and walk away. Makes sense though, right? This is my first venture into a uke with a pickup so I'm looking forward to it. Along with the new instrument I'm really looking forward to some time in the sun and some good old fashioned rest and recreation. No images of my ukulele yet since I don't have it but here is one from the store website.

Pono MT.JPG

Like your logic on buying ukes in Oahu, Bob (except for the HMS free shipping, plus you'll now pay sales tax by buying it on the North Shore...but who's keeping track, eh? Lol)

Sounds like you've ordered a fabulous Pono. Nothing beats mahogany, in my book. Great dealio! Enjoy the North Shore. So pretty, it is.

Myself and "sam13", another fellow Canadian, were talking about doing the exact same thing. Going on a trip to Hawaii AND buying a ukulele, life don't get better than that. Congratulations and enjoy your new Pono, great instruments. Post a couple pics of you on the beach with your new "hog". Motorcycle guys aren't the only ones lovin' their "hogs" :shaka:

My work schedule precludes weekday visits to HMS but I do work in an office building adjacent to Ala Moana Center - if you find yourself there around lunchtime while on Oahu, send me a PM and I'll walk down and say "Hi"
If you let me know at least a day in advance, I'll even bring my Pono.

What a perfect vacation. My dream is to go to Hawaii, listen to as much music as I can, tour the factories, and come home with a new baby!

Round out your day in Haleiwa with a plate lunch from Giovanni Shrimp Truck and then a shave ice from Matsumoto's Store. You'll never forget it!

My wife and I are off to Oahu in a couple of days for a holiday that will include picking up a new ukulele. I've ordered a Pono MT mahogany tenor strung low g with a misi pickup from Hawaii Music Supply and we'll we picking it up on one of our rental car days while exploring the north shore. I've been telling people that flying to Hawaii and picking it up is the frugal thing to do as we'll save on shipping charges. Most of them just kind of look at me funny and walk away. Makes sense though, right? This is my first venture into a uke with a pickup so I'm looking forward to it. Along with the new instrument I'm really looking forward to some time in the sun and some good old fashioned rest and recreation. No images of my ukulele yet since I don't have it but here is one from the store website.

View attachment 84659

I did exactly that in January this year. Ended up cancelling my Pono , came home with a K brand. You may end up doing the same too.
The Hawaiian influence will change our taste so fast once you are there.
If you are lucky enough to see Corey at the store (He is off every Friday as per his email to me back in January). Please do a video of him playing on your uke and share with us.

Round out your day in Haleiwa with a plate lunch from Giovanni Shrimp Truck and then a shave ice from Matsumoto's Store. You'll never forget it!

That's right!! Also, get on the beach and play for your lady!! This is THE best way to get a new uke. Congrats!!

I have done the same thing......hit the Kamaka factory to pick up some repaired ukes, take a tour and head to the beach to play!! Life is good!!

image.jpg

I picked up my new Pono and I like it a lot. I'd include a sound sample but I'm not that good so I'd rather not torture anyone. Special thanks to the local ABC stores in Hawaii for the nice backdrop towel.

image.jpg

Top Bottom