Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I did a video of John Hiatt's song "when New Your had her heart broke and it got flagged
as not advert friendly. Even though I thought since 9/11 should be remembered Youtube
thought otherwise. Out of sight out of mind.
Strange this is that I did two versions. Just a straight version playing the Uke and singing
and that was not flagged where as the same song with images of people in distress and
the devastation was the one that got flagged. What are your thoughts???

Youtube policies for advert friendly videos

Controversial issues and sensitive events: Video content that features or focuses on sensitive
topics or events including, but not limited to, war, political conflicts, terrorism or extremism,
death and tragedies, sexual abuse, even if graphic imagery is not shown, is generally not eligible
for ads. For example, videos about recent tragedies, even if presented for news or documentary
purposes, may not be eligible for advertising given the subject matter.

Drugs and dangerous products or substances: Video content that promotes or features the sale,
use, or abuse of illegal drugs, regulated drugs or substances, or other dangerous products is not
eligible for advertising. Videos discussing drugs or dangerous substances for educational, documentary,
and artistic purposes are generally eligible for advertising, so long as drug use or substance abuse
is not graphic or glorified.

Harmful or dangerous acts: Video content that promotes harmful or dangerous acts that result in
serious physical, emotional, or psychological injury is not eligible for advertising. Some examples
include videos depicting painful or invasive surgical or cosmetic procedures, or pranks involving
sexual harassment or humiliation.

Hateful content: Video content that promotes discrimination or disparages or humiliates an individual
or group of people on the basis of the individual’s or group’s race, ethnicity or ethnic origin, nationality,
religion, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristic that
is associated with systemic discrimination or marginalization is not eligible for advertising.
Content that is satire or comedy may be exempt; however, simply stating your comedic intent is not
sufficient and that content may still not be eligible for advertising.

Inappropriate language: Video content that contains frequent uses of strong profanity or
vulgarity throughout the video may not be eligible for advertising. Occasional use of profanity
won’t necessarily result in your video being ineligible for advertising, but context matters.

Inappropriate use of family entertainment characters: Videos depicting family entertainment
characters or content, whether animated or live action, engaged in violent, sexual, vile, or
otherwise inappropriate behavior, even if done for comedic or satirical purposes, are not eligible for advertising.

Incendiary and demeaning: Video content that is gratuitously incendiary, inflammatory, or demeaning
may not be eligible for advertising. For example, video content that shames or insults an individual or
group may not be eligible for advertising.

Sexually suggestive content: Video content that features highly sexualized content, such as video
content where the focal point is nudity, body parts, or sexual simulations, is not eligible for advertising.
Content that features sex toys, sexual devices, or explicit conversation about sex may also not be eligible
for advertising, with limited exceptions for non-graphic sexual education videos.

Violence: Video content where the focal point is on blood, violence, or injury, when presented without
additional context, is not eligible for advertising. Violence in the normal course of video gameplay is
generally acceptable for advertising, but montages where gratuitous violence is the focal point is not.
If you're showing violent content in a news, educational, artistic, or documentary context, that additional
context is important.

I did a video of John Hiatt's song "when New Your had her heart broke and it got flagged
as not advert friendly. Even though I thought since 9/11 should be remembered Youtube
thought otherwise. Out of sight out of mind.
Strange this is that I did two versions. Just a straight version playing the Uke and singing
and that was not flagged where as the same song with images of people in distress and
the devastation was the one that got flagged. What are your thoughts???

Youtube policies for advert friendly videos

None of my videos are made for advertising purposes, so it doesn't bother me, but I can see that they are trying to safe guard themselves against legal action, & unless you are advertising something, they don't count for your videos either.

Probably what they meant to say is that they can't make money by running adverts next to your video. :cool:

That was my interpretation.

What were the consequences of the song being flagged up?

If you have monetised a video then there is a little green $ dollar sign next to it
and if it is not advertiser friendly then the dollar sign $ is yellow.
other than that I don't see any penalties

I can empathize with the frustration of all the rapidly changing functions of YouTube.

Google is the 800 pound gorilla of the internet, and has near-zero accountability to anyone other than the shareholders and the S.E.C....

We are like rats in a cage as far as they are concerned, like in a Skinner box, and they are testing us with their experiments and profiling our behavior 'for science' LOL...

All of my videos are 'unlisted' and either available only via UU forum posts, OR in a Playlist on my channel, but NOT listed at all under the VIDEOS section of my channel...thus far I have had no copyright claims this way, nor any other issues with my Seasons or other cover tune videos.

The ONE time I had a Copyright claim, was when I made a video of the record 3 ft winter snowfall overnight a few yrs back, and used Sting's song 'The Snow It Melts The Soonest'. The video was only about 1 minute long, and the audio was silenced by YouTube, so I just deleted it from my channel, re-edited it to replace the audio clip with some of the canned background tracks from Garageband and the posted it to my YT channel, and after that never thought of it...

There was some message from YT that I had to allow monetization of that original 'offending/silenced' video, and also accept some kind of 'artist licensing referral' or something to that effect...

Not that I mind Sting getting paid a half-pence every time the video would have been played, but I'd just as soon stay under the radar.

Would that I could, not use YT at all, but folks have issues playing videos that are NOT on YT, no matter how you export/encode them and present them on a standard HTML web page.

So, I have come to accept the suffering that YT brings as a 'feature' of the overall experience. :)

You could have sung The Snow it Melts the Soonest yourself. :music: :) It's traditional and in the public domain - and it's a lovely song

If I use still photos on a video of music I've recorded I normally use my own photos or I make sure their licensed under a Creative Commons licence. Similarly, if I add background music to a non music video, I record it myself. That way I avoid these kind of issues. I know people have had copyright strikes on background material in their videos.

Hey guys. I had several people ask about my situation after hurricane Irma. I just wanted to say thanks for the well wishes and let you know that we are fine. We had crazy winds blow through and lots of trees down. We lost power for 2 days but we are back up and running. Orlando is a resilient city and we are getting through it. Thanks again!

Hey guys. I had several people ask about my situation after hurricane Irma. I just wanted to say thanks for the well wishes and let you know that we are fine. We had crazy winds blow through and lots of trees down. We lost power for 2 days but we are back up and running. Orlando is a resilient city and we are getting through it. Thanks again!

Glad to hear that you are ok - thanks for letting us know. :)

anyone have experience with or recommend EZkeys or EZdrummer? they seem interesting to me.

Help! I have a problem! I tried to upload a video yesterday, but it got stuck and wouldn't upload, and then I tried to cancel it, and it got stuck there and wouldn't cancel. So I tried to upload it again, and it got rejected saying I exceeded my upload limit, even though nothing was fully uploaded, and would have to wait before uploading again. It's still saying the same thing today. I record and upload videos on an Android. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the Youtube app a few times, cleared the history and all that. I think the cache is just full as a result of this. When I reinstall it that does get rid of the upload I tried to cancel and wouldn't, which is still an issue, if I hit cancel upload it just sits right there, and kinda flashes every few seconds. Any ideas, other than just waiting another day or whatever. Kinda baffled. Seems like that one upload that got stuck has caused an issue.

Help! I have a problem! I tried to upload a video yesterday, but it got stuck and wouldn't upload, and then I tried to cancel it, and it got stuck there and wouldn't cancel. So I tried to upload it again, and it got rejected saying I exceeded my upload limit, even though nothing was fully uploaded, and would have to wait before uploading again. It's still saying the same thing today. I record and upload videos on an Android. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the Youtube app a few times, cleared the history and all that. I think the cache is just full as a result of this. When I reinstall it that does get rid of the upload I tried to cancel and wouldn't, which is still an issue, if I hit cancel upload it just sits right there, and kinda flashes every few seconds. Any ideas, other than just waiting another day or whatever. Kinda baffled. Seems like that one upload that got stuck has caused an issue.

Regardless of how I capture my video, I've always uploaded from Firefox on the desktop to YT, so cannot offer direct advice to the YT app on Android.

Have you tried looking at the official YT Android app support pages?

I found this page, which might be a good starting point:

https://support.google.com/youtube/topic/2422554?hl=en&ref_topic=4355470

They might have documented a procedure that is known to clear the stuck video.

Try deleting the first file you tried to upload, and after i is cleared from the system
then upload the new file.

Top Bottom