Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

booli! i love doing useful things without even realising!!!!! :cool:
Truly, I think you have magical powers. Somehow, your influence directed me.

We are (all) connected via invisible threads.

Like Sting said in 'Synchronicity I' which is basd upon a book by Carl Jung (who was a student of Sigmund Freud);

With one breath, with one flow
You will know
Synchronicity

A sleep trance, a dream dance,
A shared romance,
Synchronicity

A connecting principle,
Linked to the invisible
Almost imperceptible
Something inexpressible.
Science insusceptible
Logic so inflexible
Causally connectible
Yet nothing is invincible.

If we share this nightmare
Then we can dream
Spiritus mundi.

If you act, as you think,
The missing link,
Synchronicity.

We know you, they know me
Extrasensory
Synchronicity.

A star fall, a phone call,
It joins all,
Synchronicity.

It's so deep, it's so wide
Your inside
Synchronicity.

Effect without a cause
Sub-atomic laws, scientific pause
Synchronicity

and also, what a wonderful labour of ukulele and seasons love from booli. feeling the love here today!

It's moments like this that I am happy to use my skills and knowledge to save the day...for there are always temptations to be evil and greedy but we have enough black-hat hackers already...

To me, spreading around peace and happiness is more important than anything else.

In the future folks might gak and roll their eyes at all of this kumbaya and all that, but seriously - one day I will become dust, and what will be my epitaph? my legacy?

If feel that it is my vocation, my calling, to insert as much good into this world as possible, for evil and darkness are always there, and if I can help to balance the scales, even just a little, then I am glad to do it.

Does not matter where you are in the world, the language you speak, the faith you practice, the color of your skin, or who you love, we are ALL Ohana and we are ALL in this together. We have joy or sorrow as a group. Everything an individual does has a ripple effect felt by all. We should take care of each other. :)

I think you've got more than me. :rofl:

Was just curious if youtube-dl could do it on its own. :)
I used to use wget, if I couldn't use a regular downloader from FF.
No, I don't program, only ever wrote 'one liners' - just use shell scripting, when needed.
(Debian based Linux & the occasional BSD since 1999.)

If you ever want to discuss Linux & BSD things just PM me any time.

You can use youtube-dl all by itself, but I was getting errors about the download being truncated, and wget is a robust program, and thankfully youtube-dl allows you to direct the handling of the actual download to an external program (terminal app), and wget and curl are low-hanging fruit, but you could also use ftp, rsync or anything else, and once the external program has grabbed the file, it is handed back to youtube-dl.

I also have a few different add-ons for FF, but nothing that can sequentially and automatically grab 100+ videos. Theoretically it might be possible to use both Selenium's browser plugin AND some Python wrapped around the selenium module, but youtube-dl does it without the browser dependency.

Shell scripting is great and faster in execution than just about any GUI app, and useful for so many things.

My Linux days goes back to trying to get Yggdrasil Linux working properly back in the Windows NT 3.51 days (circa 1993?)...Yggdrasil was a NIGHTMARE, there was no Red Hat, Debian or Ubuntu yet, but I got it working finally, and I cannot tell you how many nights I fell asleep at the keyboard...usenet newsgroups and CompuServ forums were the only source of info back then, over a 14.4 dialup connection....

ATDT&X1&K1&E1&V1 was my modem init string that got me the best connection...I can't believe that I still remember that...Procomm Plus or Qmodem were programs that I used....

I've always been a fan of Debian and Debian-based systems like Ubuntu and derivatives, and am running Xubuntu on all desktop interfaces now...

Thanks for the offer, I spend time on several Linux Forums, (& the occasional visit to Daemon Forum).
Luckily for me, I came along at Debian 2.1/ RedHat 4/ Slackware 8, all nicely pre packaged. :D
Used to have modems too, but couldn't really afford to be on line much - how things have changed. :)
Edit: Just to say; I'm messing with Vuu-Do just now, (a Devuan derivative).

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, I spend time on several Linux Forums, (& the occasional visit to Daemon Forum).
Luckily for me, I came along at Debian 2.1/ RedHat 4/ Slackware 8, all nicely pre packaged. :D
Used to have modems too, but couldn't really afford to be on line much - how things have changed. :)
Edit: Just to say; I'm messing with Vuu-Do just now, (a Devuan derivative).

I love when you say things like "Devuan derivative".....

All of this computer talk makes me dizzy but I just wasnt to express my gratitude to Booli who was willing to go further with this than I would ever ask. I thought someone would say
#1 go to settings in YT
#2 click on open view to all videos to the public
#3 don't be dumb enough to ever do this again
#4 you can make this mistake 3 times and then your out of luck
#5 this is YT and you can not trust us because we make changes faster than you can change your underwear!

Booli I appreciate your sentiment that we are here to help each other and putting out this good energy is a great example to all of us. So many great people here!

Like Sting said in 'Synchronicity I' which is basd upon a book by Carl Jung (who was a student of Sigmund Freud);

Al slowly supped his pint, and with very weary eyes, with lids as heavy as lead,
he struggled to keep his eyes open. With each blink of his eyelids he tried to speak.
He was royally drunk. With a slur in his voice he began:

“So there was Jug, Carl Jung, the sigh… the psychologist, listening to this woman on a cow…
on a couch, and she’s talking about a fish… a vision she’d had about a blah…sorry…
a black scarab beetle, when lo and bee… behold a bee… beetle flew in the wind… the window.
Now old Carl knew the beetle was the edge… excuse me… the Egyptian symbol for rebirth,
so he told the woman it was no Cohen… no coincidence, what with the beetle in the wind
and the edge and all that… it just thunderlined the woman's need to ease… to escape an
over-attachment to rash… to rash… to rationalism. Sink… Synchronicity was what it was”

Al was trying to score points against me, and he smiled and nodded with immense satisfaction
once he had completed the sentence. I played the old "but nevertheless" gambit on him.
I dipped my tongue in a pot of super glue and began:

“But remember Borges… didn’t he say there was a man who had a fish… a vision about a
potter goal… gold hidden in a core… courtyard under a tree, and when he told his family
about it they thaw… are you listening… they thought he was crazy. Nevertheless he followed
his dream and found the core and the tree but no goal, and the owner of the how…
how’s your father… house comes up an asks him what’s he doing there, and he says
following a fish… vision. So the owner says I’ve had fish… visions but I never do anything about
them, they’re a weighs… complete waste of time. I’ve had a fish about a core and a tree and
a goal, but I’m not stew… are you asleep… stupid enough to do anything about it.

The first man’s eyes sparkled because he wreck… you hearing me... recognised his own house
in the mans description, and he went home and scored the goal.
Fish are the collie… collective con… conch… consciousness of humanity”

Al had slipped off his chair and was lying on the floor. I had drunk him under the table.

Al slowly supped his pint, and with very weary eyes, with lids as heavy as lead, ...

Al had slipped off his chair and was lying on the floor. I had drunk him under the table.

That was fun, and probably what I sound like after I've had too much whiskey and telling strangers in the street, 'Strangers in the night, exchanging glances...' how beautiful they are 'You Are SO BEAUTIFUL, to meeee, canchyooo SEEEE EEEE heee EEE', and how mush eye LUVVV demmm mmm zzzz zzzzz zzzz....

and they're all looking at me and saying 'why is that drunk guy just laying there, kissing his ukulele like that?'...

Last edited:
FWIW, -->this<-- will be my 5,000th post to UU!

Mahalo and Shaka!

Imf8nhP.png

Congrats on so many posts, most of which, I'm pretty sure, were informative. :)

(Just wondering how many other people realise just what your new avatar means.)

Edit: Whilst I echo the sentiment, I won't let the cat out of the bag. ;)

Last edited:
Give me your tips for getting a good nights sleep.
Sometimes 'counting sheep' becomes a task in itself, and that can keep me awake.

I used to wake up with burning acid reflux all the time, now dinner is a very small meal, and I've developed a discipline to not eating anything 4-6 hrs before sleep, and now the digestive fire has been cured...

Brilliant video Rob. Bukowski was right. Wish I could cuddle you now.
For me, it's more temazepam.

Aye, wisdom indeed, and the camera view is great - love the low sun angle on the fresh snow all around...

Ambien used to be for me, also now temazepam. Good, continuous sleep it offers, despite the raging fury in the cauldron of the mind...

The latest high heeled swamp skiing video from Finland.
ooohh - so DIRTY.....

That musician's diddly bow sounds a bit like he's playing an AC/DC song, and those folks look like they must be having lots of fun to be dancing around all covered and caked in mud like that...

is this a common activity in Finland?

ooohh - so DIRTY.....

That musician's diddly bow sounds a bit like he's playing an AC/DC song, and those folks look like they must be having lots of fun to be dancing around all covered and caked in mud like that...

is this a common activity in Finland?

The diddly bow guy is a performance artist and every year he organises
a high heeled shoe swamp skiing competition. Most of the competitors
are ladies who have a penchant for frocks nylons and suspenders. Many of
his videos feature young women in provocative poses wearing suspender belts.
He has a huge following in Finland.

Well, I had quite an experience last night that I wanted to tell everyone about. We had our annual family reunion and last night when all the other activities had more or less petered out, I broke out my ukulele. One of my cousins and his daughter's boyfriend also had guitars. So we all gathered around for an evening of music. My cousin wasn't comfortable with singing except for on only a few songs, and the boyfriend wouldn't sing at all, but I sang some stuff for him while he comped the chords on a few songs (for example, Knockin' On Heaven's Door). One of my aunts had gone to my youtube channel and just clicked on my originals playlist and listened to everything a few days ago. So she kept requesting songs and every time I got ready to do one of my originals, she would shush everyone and they would all suddenly get quiet and look at me. It was kind of weird to be surrounded by people just watching me and waiting for me to sing. So I did a bunch of my own songs and it went over very well. My dad, who doesn't have any kind of internet access, heard a couple of the songs I had written about him for the first time and he was grinning from ear to ear (Mississippi Pines and Thirty Bales of Hay). A few times, one of my other relatives would sing some old song and I would listen for the key and then accompany them with my ukulele. As the evening was winding down, one old guy who has worked as an honest-to-pete cowboy for his whole life stood up and sang Strawberry Roan, an old cowboy song. I strummed the chords for him as he sang and he really liked it. Then when he finished, I moved my chair right in front of him so he could hear me well and did that song "Coyotes" that I did for Dennis Danner's season a while back. He had never heard it before, and he just loved it.

I think this was the best musical experience of my life, so far. Several people told me that next year I should bring my amp & microphone so they can hear me better. The building we were in was cooled by several window units, so there was a lot of background noise. So I guess when the only complaint people have is that they couldn't hear you well enough, that counts as a success. I really had a great time.

Top Bottom