Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Somehow it feels like a huge invasion of privacy. Its a strange feeling knowing I put myself out there but I have a problem with someone doing this. In his view it was simply ok with me. Somehow in my settings I must have clicked on CC without knowing it and without being aware of what it even was. I mean when we find ourselves on blogs or projects without our knowledge we seem to be ok with it so Im trying to see it that way. If the guy had asked me or warned me what would my response have been? It seems to me there should be some kind of curtesy rule about it or a notification that your vids have been re-uploaded under the CC but that doesn't happen. Also Its made me think about all the photos Ive borrowed from the internet to use in a song. No attempt at permissions happen on my end.

I don't understand how anyone would make a dime off of them but then again I have heard people can make money on YT but I know nothing about how that works either.

If I hadn't have had lots of my videos missing from my channel several months back I wouldn't have ever found this going on. And, magically all those missing videos are now showing up. Im just glad he didn't use any vids with my grandchildren in them or any of them that may have been collaborations with you folks.

Ok here is something that I don't know if I should be bothered. I don't understand the creative commons thing. Ive known for a while that someone has created a whole channel with about 50 of my songs. I get many more likes and views over there. He is now adding other artists to the playlist and has recently changed the name of his channel.

What would you do if anything?

Seems like he is following the creative commons rules. I don't get it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7n1nt6vNlUWG5ZDtKAnBLA

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

I'm quite relaxed about all this stuff especially covers of songs. Imo Its no different than a band gigging down the pub doing covers and the original artists getting nothing from the bands takings for the night. Your name appears on the playlist Linda but they could have been more courteous and considerate crediting your name in the descriptive field, other than that my philosophy is give freely that which was given freely to you (no matter how it is passed on)
Grrrrrrrrr Now will someone please nick my songs ..........I'll pay you to take them off my hands !! Lol

Last edited:
This all sounds quite weird and creepy, Linda; although, I suppose you COULD choose to take it as a compliment. I actually went to check what my setting was ... although I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to upload anything that I've done! (DO hope you have now "reset" your setting.)

Last edited:
Also Its made me think about all the photos Ive borrowed from the internet to use in a song. No attempt at permissions happen on my end.

If you want to use photos from the internet then I would highly
recommend The Commons on Flickr. There is some grand old stuff
on there that are all CC and you can use them on your videos,
with no copyright restrictions.

Mark, I have had to come to look at it that way too. I borrowed the songs from someone and now they are borrowing from me......still.....

Val, it is a little creepy when you didn't intend to let it happen and you don't understand why its happening. Is it just a woman thing to find it creepy? In fact I found it so creepy that I waited to pose it here!
This is one of the reasons that I decided to post the problem here. I think my blunders are a good lesson for everyone. Plus I knew someone here would be smarter than I and might know why it was happening (thanks to PlaskUke she lead me to the solution).

Rob, Thank you for that info about who to borrow from. I will do that in the future first. I find it easy to google what Im looking for and click on images. I don't use anything that has a watermark but......if I googled my name my pictures of me would most likely show up in images and I would find it equally creepy of someone used my image for something. Thats the danger of the internet. Like pa says, once your out there, your out there for anything to happen.

I know that by default Standard YouTube License is the setting. Somehow I changed it without realizing it. My advice is to everyone, go check and make sure you haven't done the same thing if you don't want this to happen.

Last edited:
Another thing about YT vids are the viewing settings.

Private = only you can see them, Unlisted = only those you want to share with, whilst Public = everyone & anyone can see them.

(Just thought I'd mention it as some of our newer posters may not have noticed.)

Linda, I hate that he's made you feel uncomfortable, but I'm glad that there's a place to hear your songs if you ever decide to retire your channel or if youtube shuts you down for any reason. :)

Another thing about YT vids are the viewing settings.

Private = only you can see them, Unlisted = only those you want to share with, whilst Public = everyone & anyone can see them.

(Just thought I'd mention it as some of our newer posters may not have noticed.)

Just to be clear though - even if your vid is set to unlisted, once you put it here on this forum it is available to the world NOT just fellow seasonistas.

Here's a bit of advance warning of a challenge I have set myself for 2018.

Remember the crazy Season that Alan hosted, where the artists you could cover changed every day? That was the first (and only) time that I have made seven videos in a week. That same week I received an email from a charity I have given to before, outlining their work, and looking for donations. And I sort of put two and two together, and made three hundred and sixty five...

Next year, I am aiming to play & video a song every single day of the year, wherever I happen to be, with all of them going onto a blog. The aim is to raise £1500 for SolarAid, who get solar lamps out to remote parts of Africa, so people can get rid of the dangerous & expensive kerosene lamps they use now. SolarAid send people out to remote areas to tell people about the lamps, demonstrate them, and build demand for them. Then they set up the distribution networks so the lamps are available in the future, not just as a one-off. All of this costs about £4 (about $5) per lamp. Doing a few sums, 4x365=1500, or near enough. So IF (and that's a big if) I can raise £1500, and play 365 songs, it means that every time I play a song, someone gets a lamp.

Looking back, I have done about 270 songs in the Seasons, over about two and a half years. So I need to up the production rate a bit...I am currently spending quite a bit of time going through songs old & new, putting together lists of probables and possibles. Oh, and just to make it more of a challenge, I thought I would use the same ukulele for every song. So it's going to be the plastic Islander, in case of bad weather...

It does mean that I probably won't be around on the Seasons quite as much, but if I can make my song of the day fit the Season, I will do!

All of this starts on Jan 1st, but for now, the blog is there, with an option to donate if you think this madness is worth supporting -
www.365ukesongs.co.uk

Thanks for listening!

Last edited:
Here's a bit of advance warning of a challenge I have set myself for 2018.

Remember the crazy Season that Alan hosted, where the artists you could cover changed every day? That was the first (and only) time that I have made seven videos in a week. That same week I received an email from a charity I have given to before, outlining their work, and looking for donations. And I sort of put two and two together, and made three hundred and sixty five...

Next year, I am aiming to play & video a song every single day of the year, wherever I happen to be, with all of them going onto a blog. The aim is to raise £1500 for SolarAid, who get solar lamps out to remote parts of Africa, so people can get rid of the dangerous & expensive kerosene lamps they use now. SolarAid send people out to remote areas to tell people about the lamps, demonstrate them, and build demand for them. Then they set up the distribution networks so the lamps are available in the future, not just as a one-off. All of this costs about £4 (about $5) per lamp. Doing a few sums, 4x365=1500, or near enough. So IF (and that's a big if) I can raise £1500, and play 365 songs, it means that every time I play a song, someone gets a lamp.

Looking back, I have done about 270 songs in the Seasons, over about two and a half years. So I need to up the production rate a bit...I am currently spending quite a bit of time going through songs old & new, putting together lists of probables and possibles. Oh, and just to make it more of a challenge, I thought I would use the same ukulele for every song. So it's going to be the plastic Islander, in case of bad weather...

It does mean that I probably won't be around on the Seasons quite as much, but if I can make my song of the day fit the Season, I will do!

All of this starts on Jan 1st, but for now, the blog is there, with an option to donate if you think this madness is worth supporting -
www.365ukesongs.co.uk

Thanks for listening!

Great stuff Steve! I'd be happy to take part too if you want a running mate, could possibly collab on a couple too?

Steve,
That is a terrific idea. I love that you have a big heart.

Here is an idea. We give you a simple request and if you play it we make a donation. This could be fun :)

And, how about a Steve thread for the cause. That would keep us in the loop and be updated everyday so we don't forget about this in a few pages!

For anyone in the NJ, USA area, Jake is playing at MPAC in Morristown this Thursday, 8pm OCT 26.

Another UU member has a seat for sale in the second row at face value for $59 here, and this is great at this late date since the whole prime orchestra section is sold out it seems:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?129788-Jake-in-Morristown-extra-ticket

In my post to the linked thread^ I've included the link to the event from the venue's web site, and the promo video that MPAC put out.

Other tickets are available, and some with a discount code from the NJ Folk Project. The theater holds about 1,000 seats so this will be a somewhat intimate performance compared to larger shows for pop-music artists.

I have my ticket already, and never saw Jake live before, so this will be something I can cross off my bucket-list.

If you need a ticket, check the link above, and if you have a ticket already and would like to meet up, feel free to PM me so we can make arrangements...

Mahalo

Steve this is awesome.
I agree with Linda - please start a thread for this and post your songs on it.
Also would love to do a collab with you at some stage of the journey.
Warmest friendship mate.

Steve this is awesome.
I agree with Linda - please start a thread for this and post your songs on it.
Also would love to do a collab with you at some stage of the journey.
Warmest friendship mate.

another +1 from me for the above as per Jon

time-permitting, I'd be open to a collab as well

Kudos to you for this effort to support a worthy cause. :)

Thanks for all your support on this 365ukesongs thing. You people really are the best.

A few comments on the suggestions that have been made -

Collaborations - I'm a bit wary of anything which could take up more time, but...I do like the idea of getting everyone who wants to be involved, all in the same video, as a kind of special day. So, at some point I will find a suitable song, and get things rolling - I do a guide video, and everyone records themselves doing whatever they want to do over the top of it. And then I stitch them all together. Could go horribly wrong, but it's worth a try.

Requests - with the lack of time I am going to have each day, I really have to stick to songs I know I can already play, but between now and the start I am certainly open to suggestions. I have already had one request on Twitter ("Silver Machine" by Hawkind) and it has been added to the list. So send 'em my way!

Updates here - nearer the time I will start a thread on here, but I can't promise to update it every day. But I will try to stay on top of it.

Thanks once again for all your positive vibes!

Just to be clear though - even if your vid is set to unlisted, once you put it here on this forum it is available to the world NOT just fellow seasonistas.

Anyone who finds it through this forum can find it. Like, if they google it, or find the playlist. Or if someone from this forum shares the link somewhere else.
But searching for songs within YouTube will not put your video on the search list, and it will not be suggested to people watching similar videos.
Basically, it is not protected from anybody who is motivated, but the risk of someone accidentally stumbling upon it and using it for something unintended is smaller.

Most of my videos are unlisted. Most of my videos are of songs that I have not fully learned, where I sing out of key to a smaller or bigger degree. They should only be watched in the context of the seasons, where the audience knows that I didn't post it hoping to be the next YouTube star. I kind of fear that someone I know IRL will search for a popular song, find my humble cover in stead and post it on my Facebook for all to see without the context. With all my other videos suggested for their next watch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom