Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

For those that might have noticed in my Season 294 vid, why yes, that is a new ukulele. I was getting nervous bringing my Martin to the field, so I sprung for a Bonanza HPL. They call this pattern 'tutti frutti'. This is one of their pear shaped sopranos. It came strung with fishing line, which sounded a little dead to me and had much different feeling tension on the low-G, so I swapped them out for a set of Aquila's. Still low-G, but feels a lot more even. I've had it for a couple of weeks, but needed some practice on the smaller neck (Martin's a concert) and wanted to wait for the strings to settle a bit more. First field test this weekend in Owens Valley in the eastern Sierra.

View attachment 103407

Whoa!That's quite a kaleidascope for a uke. Very colorful.

I haven't seen or heard anything from Tommy for a while. Have I just missed him, or has he been missing? Anybody with any news?

I imagine he's coming to terms with dialysis. It's very tying and it takes time to adjust. My wife was in tears at times at the beginning. My daughter gave her a kidney which gave her her life back.

It's still worth putting out a call. I believe he lives near Wendy so maybe we could ask her.

I haven't seen or heard anything from Tommy for a while. Have I just missed him, or has he been missing? Anybody with any news?

I had sent him an email (not a PM) and called on the phone and left a message back around Sept 5th, but never got a reply to either.

I too am concerned, but given his situation, I do not want to add any more to his burdens.

Not sure how to proceed. I am open to suggestions.

I imagine he's coming to terms with dialysis. It's very tying and it takes time to adjust. My wife was in tears at times at the beginning. My daughter gave her a kidney which gave her her life back.

It's still worth putting out a call. I believe he lives near Wendy so maybe we could ask her.

Tommy lives in Pennsylvania USA, so anyone who's nearby and/or has his contact info can reach out.

When at the NJ Uke Fest back at the end of August, I spent quite a bit of time with Tommy and he had a very optimistic outlook and was determined to fight to survive as long as possible.

I believed him, and do not think he was putting on a strong face just for my benefit.

forgot to state what I was trying to do. the ones with no barre(0101) I am trying to memorize so I can quickly find the right dim for each scale. Am I on the right track?

Yes. The shape is the same all the way up the neck, but once you pass 0101 you need four fingers to fill in for the nut.
I don't barre diminished chords.
The root is on the 3rd string.
So whatever note is under your finger on the C string is the name of the diminished chord.
Does that make sense?

And Wendy's in New Jersey, possibly further apart than I thought. I do know they had collaborated in organising an event some time ago.

Yes, I think it was called STRUM or something like that.

I am also in New Jersey, near Morristown.

IIRC, Wendy lives about about 30-40 miles south of me.

Tommy is near Harrisburg, PA, which is about 180 miles due west of me.

Went for the Snail Ebony in the end. Sounded the best out of the ones I played (apart from the Koaloha I cheekily had a look at) and looked even better in person AND was about 30 quid cheaper than I thought it was gonna be too! Probably won't have chance to do a vid till the morning though because I'm cooking my mum dinner as a thank you for putting up with me

vy1lyc.jpg

I love the grain on it. Really light and comfy to hold too.

A belated...............SHWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeT !! :cool:

I had no idea there WERE such things ... I shall have to have a "Google"!

It's what most people use to make jerky with. I've also made dehydrated yogurt. Which probably sounds strange, but it's pretty good. It produces a kind of rubbery thing that you can just eat or roll up with other food inside of it (like fresh berries or some other fruit or something).

Yes, I think it was called STRUM or something like that.

I am also in New Jersey, near Morristown.

IIRC, Wendy lives about about 30-40 miles south of me.

Tommy is near Harrisburg, PA, which is about 180 miles due west of me.

Yes I always underestimate the sheer size of the USA. After we'd visited I looked on a map to see where we had been and it brought the size of the country home to me.

Top Bottom