Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

We're staying in caravan park at Seal Rocks NSW.
Went over to have our evening meal in the camp kitchen.
There was a guy there playing guitar (quite well too). I got talking, Had a go of his guitar and told him I now play uke more often than guitar. Went back to get my Flea - which always travels with me - and we had a bit of a jam.
When he left I kept playing and singing a little too. 6 other cookers and diners came and I just kept on playing while my wife prepared our meal (we take turns with meal duty). Some of them were humming along and tapping their feet.
One lady asked if I was professional muso - which boosted my ego considerably. When we left all three couples thanked me for the music and said how much they enjoyed it.
Not something I often do but I was pleased enough with the reaction to share it here.

There was a guy there playing guitar (quite well too). I got talking, Had a go of his guitar and told him I now play uke more often than guitar. Went back to get my Flea - which always travels with me - and we had a bit of a jam.
When he left I kept playing and singing a little too. 6 other cookers and diners came and I just kept on playing while my wife prepared our meal (we take turns with meal duty). Some of them were humming along and tapping their feet.
One lady asked if I was professional muso - which boosted my ego considerably. When we left all three couples thanked me for the music and said how much they enjoyed it.
Not something I often do but I was pleased enough with the reaction to share it here.

Thats great Brian. You do sing and play like a pro. I woulda been joining in too! I went to my granddaughters chorus concert the other night and a little guy had his uke out strumming something while he patiently waited for the concert to start. That put a big smile on my face :)
Only wish I was so brave. Im afraid Id come off annoying!

Nice Pa. We were camping last month and was asked to put it away. At least they were polite about it. Guess I need more practice.

Now this!....This would happen to me. Id be crushed! No need to practice Trent. They must have been old cranks! :eek:ld:

An evening around the camp kitchen with an impromptu concert by Pa sounds like a special night to me! It's nice to get some positive feedback from an appreciative audience.

I did some impromptu backyard BBQ performances this summer and got some similar responses. It was a group of my wife's horse set and I did a couple of horse related numbers that went over particularly well. "Since She Started to Ride" by Jonathan Richman and "She Loves to Ride Horses" by Guy Clark had them rolling in the aisles and begging for encores. That was a hoot!

I think a lot of us have to gravitate to 'our own space'.

Very hard to do in a 2-bed flat with a wife and kid.

Sunday morning tends to be uke time for me, I offer to get up for Nathan and have a ritual of bacon butty, Match of the Day and then do a song or two for the new Season, by which point the Mrs has woken up and wants us to embark on the day's plans immediately.

Very hard to do in a 2-bed flat with a wife and kid.

Sunday morning tends to be uke time for me, I offer to get up for Nathan and have a ritual of bacon butty, Match of the Day and then do a song or two for the new Season, by which point the Mrs has woken up and wants us to embark on the day's plans immediately.

and, of course the Mrs is she who must be obeyed.

When I visited my daughter who was similarly in a two bed flat with a husband and kid, I was occasionally able to retreat to the kitchen. My granddaughter would come in sometimes but I regret that she did not seem over impressed. :(

I often go down stairs and play my Bari starting with "Tennesee Waltz," my wife's favorite tune, she smiles and lets me play.

and, of course the Mrs is she who must be obeyed.

When I visited my daughter who was similarly in a two bed flat with a husband and kid, I was occasionally able to retreat to the kitchen. My granddaughter would come in sometimes but I regret that she did not seem over impressed. :(

She is but she's normally very accommodating. But if I'm working out a particularly tricky song rather than just rehearsing ones I already know I'll wait for a bit of privacy for both our sakes.

She is but she's normally very accommodating. But if I'm working out a particularly tricky song rather than just rehearsing ones I already know I'll wait for a bit of privacy for both our sakes.

Mine as well and if I get a gig, she'll come along if she can.

I too have my own space (the background to almost all of my videos) where I do my playing. In fact, thinking about it, last week's Season video from the campervan was the first time I have recorded a song with my wife in the room. She didn't make any comment, until the following day, when we passed a busker in the street. "You're better than him" she said. I didn't agree, but it was nice of her to say so.:D

My husband shudders when I even get my uke out!!!

And to all the rest of the comments......Its so good to not feel alone in this!

I have from 8am to 4pm tues and thursday without anyone to bother me.....USUALLY!

My daughter knows that when Im recording it is my time and Im not to be bothered. Yesterday I was trying to record a particularly hard song to pull off. If I want a clean take I have to wait for the AC to pop off. You might ask why not just turn it off? Come to Arizona and you won't ask that question. I must have played that song for hours in the little window of opportunities I had. AC on for 15 minutes and off for about 8. The wait time was killing me and then all the mistakes before it came back on had me feeling frustrated.

Then it happened. The perfectly clean take. While i was singing and playing Im coming up on the outro and in my mind Im thinking, finally, just a few more bars! Then my daughter comes in and cuts me off! Listen to this she says with disgust and reads me a text! :wallbash:

Too bad there isn't an emoji with the top of a head exploding! That would have been more of an explanation of my reaction.

Consequently I had to settle on a take that was disappointing.

Top Bottom