Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Just thought I'd give a heads up to UK members - Ohana SK30M long neck solid mahogany soprano at £99.

http://www.southernukulelestore.co....prano-Ukulele-Concert-Neck-All-Solid-Mahogany
It also says its out of stock Keith !! Lol
Its always worth checking the store out online though as you get these little finds that are either discontinued lines or old stock they want to move on.
I live 10 minutes from the store but have got my compulsion to buy under control .........unless of course a real beauty catches my eye !! Lol

Last edited:
There were 2 of them a few weeks back, I immediately bought one, & gave a heads up for the other when it appeared back on their site.
I don't know where they found this one, but someone else obviously thought it too good a price to pass up. :)

Edit: These are nice little ukes, if they come up again - worth that price without question.

Edit2: Just had a look & its back in stock again, so if you're quick, you may just snag one. :)

Last edited:
There were 2 of them a few weeks back, I immediately bought one, & gave a heads up for the other when it appeared back on their site.
I don't know where they found this one, but someone else obviously thought it too good a price to pass up. :)

Edit: These are nice little ukes, if they come up again - worth that price without question.

Edit2: Just had a look & its back in stock again, so if you're quick, you may just snag one. :)

I figured out a bug:
When it put it in the basket, it says "out of stock".
Which would be fine - except the cookies don't work, so it dissapears from my basket again.
I almost managed to buy it, when the credit card gave problems, and I am stuck with an empty basket again.
So I keep refreshing the webpage waiting for it to return...
I guess that is I want to try a long neck soprano, I wan't find a much better deal than this.

Edit:
Got the order in for the last one!
(It is not pure spontanious UAS, a long neck soprano has been on my to-buy list for a while)

Last edited:
...(It is not pure spontanious UAS, a long neck soprano has been on my to-buy list for a while)

That's what they ALL say. :)

However, CONGRATS on being able to check an item off your wishlist!

If you are like me, you'll be eagerly checking the shipping tracking a few times per day until it is scheduled to arrive and try to meet the mail carrier so it does not wait outside the front door, all alone, for too long...

:)

Glad you managed to snag it, persistence pays off. :)

(I'll be putting low G Living Water flourocarbons on mine.)

I am looking forward to trying it. I will play mine with high G, wanted a long neck soprano for a more traditional strumming sound. I only recently put low G on my tenor fluke, and I am not quite accustomed to it yet.
The Cort concert I usually play, I might try low G on. It is loud and has a lot of sustain, but the sound builds up a bit slow - so that will work better for picking and slow strumming than for fast strumming. Hoping the new uke will fill that spot.

(I'll be putting low G Living Water flourocarbons on mine.)
You'll have to play us something Keith, It'll be Interesting to hear a Low G on a Soprano body. I kinda like the Idea of a traditional Soprano sound with the benefit of having a lot more notes at your disposal on the neck.
I think you guys that buy before you try are pretty brave though..........I personally like to give a uke a good play through first before the wallet comes out.

Last edited:
I usually put those LW strings on my 'better' ukes, as I like their tone & feel. :)

I used to have them on a 'proper' soprano before, but I just don't get on with that scale, hence I have the long necks for the 'soprano' sound. ;)
(Having the extra notes certainly makes them more useful for playing instrumentals.)

Regarding buying, some of us don't have any other option but to buy online, however, I do research them for sound/tone & peoples opinions, whenever possible, so I'm not quite buying blind.

Youtube seems to be up to its tricks again - they've changed the look again & I don't seem to be able to post comments to videos anymore!!! :mad:
the new layout is, in my oh so humble opinion, horrid, you can change back to the old one, heino told me you could, and it's true, if you click on your little round avatar thingy in the top right hand corner of a youtube page, you get a drop down menu, at the bottom is "go back to old youtube", click on that and the old layout is restored

you even get an option to type in a bit of text to tell them why you wanna change, so you can explain the problems you're having

Last edited:
the new layout is, in my oh so humble opinion, horrid, you can change back to the old one, heino told me you could, and it's true, if you click on your little round avatar thingy in the top right hand corner of a youtube page, you get a drop down menu, at the bottom is "go back to old youtube", click on that and the old layout is restored

you even get an option to type in a bit of text to tell them why you wanna change, so you can explain the problems you're having
To be frank, It's really getting on my tits !! Lol . Uploaded vid for Brians Season and the simple task of changing the vid from private to unlisted was a big Hooo Ha !!

Edit: Cheers for the heads up Birdy, I'm now back to the old design. x

Last edited:

Well, I DID that Lynda, and, as soon as I went to a video on my channel because I wanted to write some replies, it went back to the new format again. It is, indeed, HORRIBLE!!!!

whoa no sound keith? is that still happening?

and gah val, that is really vexing, it fixing then unfixing! what browser are people using? i wonder if that makes any difference? i use firefox.............. where oh where is :bowdown: booli, doesn't he usually fix all our tech worries for us?!

glad it worked for you mark, is it still working ok?

on firefox i am seeing the old layout on both my own vid pages and other people's, and it is lasting - so far anyway...

whoa no sound keith? is that still happening?

and gah val, that is really vexing, it fixing then unfixing! what browser are people using? i wonder if that makes any difference? i use firefox.............. where oh where is :bowdown: booli, doesn't he usually fix all our tech worries for us?!

glad it worked for you mark, is it still working ok?

on firefox i am seeing the old layout on both my own vid pages and other people's, and it is lasting - so far anyway...

I hate the new look as well. I have not tried to change it back (yet).

Those folks that have the glassed-over eye-roll and usually scroll past a 'wall of text' may want to make an exception and actually read the rest of my post, it will inform and educate...

I will investigate how to make the old presentation persistent and share what I find, but I suspect that it is either due to a browser cookie being set, and/or being logged in to your YT account.

FYI: Google is preparing for an all-out assault against Mozilla in the Chrome browser vs. Firefox browser respectively as they compete for market share...

Mozilla is soon to release Firefox v.57, which is a MASSIVE change to the core functionality of the browser, and Google is trying to adapt, and/or beat them down in every way possible...(if you can help it, you may want to DECLINE the upgrade to Firefox 57, until you understand how it will effect you, and then decide, I will be holding it off and NOT upgrading for as long as possible because it will break my workflow for my day-job and make my recreational internet use very painful)

This is also made worse by a new encrypted video delivery standard called 'E.M.E.' that was just ratified last month by the W3C, (World WIde Web Consortum), which allows and almost mandates that video (and other media) content is to be encrypted at all times on the web.

Sponsors of this new policy, and if you ask me are 'Payola Players' and lobbyists to get this passed, are Microsoft, Google, Netflix and Amazon (and 1-2 others I cant recall) are wholly controlling Tim Berners-Lee (CEO of the W3C) and Ajit Pai (USA FCC Chairman and overall retard and puppet of Trump) and despite several petitions AGAINST E.M.E., the W3C has passed the resolution and the FCC has done nothing to intervene, so I suspect YT, Netflix, Vimeo and other sites are going to become even MORE craptastic until nobody cares about video, and we are all forced to use pirate sites to able to run the Seasons, which I for one, will be very happy to facilitate....

Remember that YT is free as a service of Google, which has made themselves a subsidiary of their own parent company called 'Alphabet, Inc' back in Feb 2017, and Google offers these 'free' services in order to monetize your habits and tracking data.

There is an axiom in the computer realm:

"If the product or service is 'free', then YOU as the user of said 'thing' are in fact the 'product' being sold to advertisers and 3rd-parties unknown."

This is fact and the default modus operandi for Google, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other sites, while they may actually provide a useful service, but they are doing so in a way that treats the end-users like the human battery-pods in 'The Matrix' movies to keep their companies going...

I will report back when I figure out how to make things 'normal' again on YT...stay tuned. :)

thank you booli, i read every word of that!

BEV, your kindness is always most appreciated :).

It seems that fate has been working against me to free up time to look into this today and it's late Fri nite here in NJ, but I should be able to dig in and figure it out tomorrow, i.e., Sat afternoon some time, and will share what I discover...

My scenario was - I tried to watch videos on YT, found they had changed the interface, (no asking if I wanted to), & there was no way to add a comment.

So I mentioned this here, & Lynda (BEVOMU) suggested a fix, which I eventually found hidden away on my YT page, changed back to the original interface, & then discovered I had no sound.

I have since found that Firefox appears to have no sound capability now also - so I'm guessing YT did something to FF.

Edit: I'm running FF on Devuan.

so glad you got the sound sorted keith!

i know things have to change in order to move forward - otherwise we'd be trying to do the seasons on an abacus and two empty bean tins connected with a bit of string - but when so many people hate the new layout, and find stuff doesn't even work, you have to ask WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???????????????!

Top Bottom