Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I don't have the details myself! Just that I've been saving up a bit and that I'll be auditioning a few tomorrow and if one takes my fancy (spoiler: one will) I'll be getting it.

But the ones interesting me at the moment so far include:

Snail Ebony concert
Kala ebony tenor
Kala walnut tenor
Tanglewood walnut concert
Freshman quilted ash tenor
And probably a dozen more

There was a baton rouge tenor I really liked the look of too but it was right at the top of my budget and hasn't been in stock for ages.

Please pray for my dear old mum who's agreed to come offer a second, entirely uninformed opinion, and of course prevent me from spending my entire pay cheque.

I don't have the details myself! Just that I've been saving up a bit and that I'll be auditioning a few tomorrow and if one takes my fancy (spoiler: one will) I'll be getting it.

Snail Ebony concert
Kala ebony tenor
Kala walnut tenor

There was a baton rouge tenor I really liked the look of too but it was right at the top of my budget and hasn't been in stock for ages.

Please pray for my dear old mum who's agreed to come offer a second, entirely uninformed opinion, and of course prevent me from spending my entire pay cheque.
Is there a decent music shop you're buying it from in Pompey Ryan ?
I played (or rather teased myself) with a Pete Howlett Tenor in store last week, she absolutely sung like a beauty but the £1.900 price tag was well out of my league as to what I would pay at this stage of my playing.

Is there a decent music shop you're buying it from in Pompey Ryan ?
I played (or rather teased myself) with a Pete Howlett Tenor in store last week, she absolutely sung like a beauty but the £1.900 price tag was well out of my league as to what I would pay at this stage of my playing.

Nah the only shop here only has about a dozen ukes tucked into a corner, mainly Staggs, Gretsches and Fenders. Heading up your way to SUS instead.

I'm gonna try and stay away from the big expensive ones but I'm not making any promises.

I was impressed by a the ebony kala series. I played the concert one at elderlyinstruments last month.

I actually just sold a uke to help pay for another uke. trying to keep my collection lean and mean. My goal is to get a fender 52 tele uke this week.

Snail Ebony concert
Kala ebony tenor
Kala walnut tenor

wow the snail ebony concert, is that the one with the snail design cut out and the extra soundhole on the side? that baby looks and sounds amazing, everyone who's tried one says snail ukes are really really good

a fender 52 tele uke
*swooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooons!*

anyone have a memorization technique for the diminished chords? I am seeing a pattern but it isn't fitting together in my brain...

forgot to state what I was trying to do. the ones with no barre(0101) I am trying to memorize so I can quickly find the right dim for each scale. Am I on the right track?

Nah the only shop here only has about a dozen ukes tucked into a corner, mainly Staggs, Gretsches and Fenders. Heading up your way to SUS instead.

I'm gonna try and stay away from the big expensive ones but I'm not making any promises.

Good luck with your (potential!) purchase, Ryan! I am very envious that you are actually able to visit S.U.S.; I've bought a couple of secondhand ukes from their online site and their evaluations are always very honest - the staff are very knowledgeable and helpful. Actually, that's a point ... have you thought of having a look at what they might have in stock in terms of secondhand ukes; you might get a bargain? (Oh, and while you're there, could you possibly pick me up one of those new Blackbird "Farallon" tenor ukes, which I see they've got in stock .... I PROMISE I'll pay you back!!!)

Last edited:
wow the snail ebony concert, is that the one with the snail design cut out and the extra soundhole on the side? that baby looks and sounds amazing, everyone who's tried one says snail ukes are really really good

*swooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooons!*

That's the one! Probably the frontrunner at the moment too as long as it feels and and sounds right when I play it .

I know vaguely what to expect with the Kalas because my Korala is basically a rebranded one of then and I've played a Freshman soprano before but everything else will be new too me which is exciting.

Good luck with your (potential!) purchase, Ryan! I am very envious that you are actually able to visit S.U.S.; I've bought a couple of secondhand ukes from their online site and their evaluations are always very honest - the staff are very knowledgeable and helpful. Actually, that's a point ... have you thought of having a look at what they might have in stock in terms of secondhand ukes; you might get a bargain?

Yeah I've had a look, unfortunately 200 is my very upper limit at the moment and where i do open mics I want on with a pickup already installed so there's not much choice for me.

Psssssst Check out the ones in the locked glass cabinet if your mums paying !!! Lol.
We're on a relay today as your coming up here and I'm heading down your way in Fareham for the weekend.
Hope you find what you want mate (and have a play on that Pete Howlett)

P.s Good point made by Val, you can get some terrific ukes that have been traded in or you can trade some of yours in if something pricey really catches your eye

Last edited:
Yeah I've had a look, unfortunately 200 is my very upper limit at the moment and where i do open mics I want on with a pickup already installed so there's not much choice for me.
Be sure to check out the Kala exotic mahogany, KA-CEME concert, KA-TEME tenor, I bought the concert one, (& soprano), they're good ukes, & it has a built in tuner so you won't forget one. ;)

Psssssst Check out the ones in the locked glass cabinet if your mums paying !!! Lol.
We're on a relay today as your coming up here and I'm heading down your way in Fareham for the weekend.
Hope you find what you want mate (and have a play on that Pete Howlett)

P.s Good point made by Val, you can get some terrific ukes that have been traded in or you can trade some of yours in if something really catches your eye

Fareham is not far from me at all! I'm down the road in Gosport.

Top Bottom