Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

This is EXCEEDINGLY exciting stuff, Elena! I am very impressed and I don't doubt that I would find a copy very beneficial! Well done you!!!

Thanks Val! It got ridiculously long, so I might do another one with all the music theory (hopefully) simplified in another one in a while. : )

Wondered where you'd got to, Elena. :)

There's a 'Shameless Self Promotion' section, go advertise your book there - http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/forumdisplay.php?51-Shameless-Self-Promotion

Hi Keith,

yeah...a boyfriend who lives 2 hours away, rehearsals likewise 2 hours away (= 4 there and back + rehearsal time) and then gigs in between. Finding it very hard to practice, write songs, go on youtube. Trying to carve out some time every week but it's not been easy! Thanks for the shameless promo link : )

Hi all, I haven't been around a lot as been rehearsing and gigging with a ukulele group among other things. I also have been writing and illustrating a book for beginners ukulele - hope I'm allowed to post the link here? (mods please remove if not!) I'm busy formatting it for a print-on-demand version, so for now it's just an eBook - the print version should be up on Amazon in a couple of days.

I saw so many people online asking the same questions over and over when they're first learning that I thought I'd try to answer those questions that seem to always crop up rather than writing a step-by-step book beginner's book (although I may now write one of those too!) Book is here if anyone's interested! Cheers : ) also on the UK Australia kindle store etc.

View attachment 100897

Elena, this is just wonderful. I just downloaded it. The drawings are cute, the style is breezy and fun! I love it!

Hi all, I haven't been around a lot as been rehearsing and gigging with a ukulele group among other things. I also have been writing and illustrating a book for beginners ukulele - hope I'm allowed to post the link here? (mods please remove if not!) I'm busy formatting it for a print-on-demand version, so for now it's just an eBook - the print version should be up on Amazon in a couple of days.

I saw so many people online asking the same questions over and over when they're first learning that I thought I'd try to answer those questions that seem to always crop up rather than writing a step-by-step book beginner's book (although I may now write one of those too!) Book is here if anyone's interested! Cheers : ) also on the UK Australia kindle store etc.

View attachment 100897

Yay! It's here! :) Going to download it now. Congratulations, Elena, on your publication and thank you for your commitment to helping others. Your passion will help others to grow theirs. Beautifully done, dear friend! :)

Elena, this is just wonderful. I just downloaded it. The drawings are cute, the style is breezy and fun! I love it!

Aw Randy thanks so much - really appreciate it! All the seasonistas are well beyond what's in the book, so I appreciate the download very much : )

:D - I wrote that bit as much for me as for anyone else....!!! I feel like I'm mathematically dyslexic and there seems to be always a lot of counting in music theory and weird rules. Kind of understand it now after breaking it down into its simplest form. (kind of...lol!)

Yay! It's here! :) Going to download it now. Congratulations, Elena, on your publication and thank you for your commitment to helping others. Your passion will help others to grow theirs. Beautifully done, dear friend! :)

Hi Linda - thanks so much : ) you're a star, very much appreciate it - although as I said above, all the seasonistas are far beyond who this is aimed at : )

Renaissance Guitar

The Renaissance Guitar had 7/8 strings in four courses and was tuned GCEA (I'm pretty sure it was reentrant tuning but the G string might have been in octaves)

This clip from YT is well worth a listen. The presenter compared the Renaissance Guitar to a concert uke and suggests concert uke as a suitable modern instrument to play the music.

View attachment 100897

Just now seeing this Elena. Ive had a good look at the whole book and I wish I had this years ago. This will help a lot of those searching for these answers. The sketches are so great. Great job on this. I feel a little proud of you my dear friend :)

Help! I've been listening to the new Lorde single "The Louvre" and the backing music seems very similar to a Nine Inch Nails song, but I can't work out which one. I think it might be on the album "The Fragile," or possibly "With Teeth." I hope it's the former because my copy of "With Teeth" has disappeared.

Does anyone have any experience with power tab? I've been tabbing out a song and I've had to hack and slash at it a bit. I can't seem to get it to join sections without it moving all of my measure markers or doing weird things with the formatting though. It would also be nice to have whole measures on each line, unlike the part measures I'm left with at the moment. Does anyone have the skills to do this? I can't work it out...

Does anyone have any experience with power tab? I've been tabbing out a song and I've had to hack and slash at it a bit. I can't seem to get it to join sections without it moving all of my measure markers or doing weird things with the formatting though. It would also be nice to have whole measures on each line, unlike the part measures I'm left with at the moment. Does anyone have the skills to do this? I can't work it out...

Have you searched online? I don't use Power Tab myself, but a brief search indicates that if you're cutting and pasting measures (to repeat a riff for example), PT automatically generates bar lines. Otherwise there, apparently, is

Section -->Position Width

then

+ spreads the notes out more,

and

- squeezes them together.

etc.

I used to use TuxGuitar, which is a Linux-based version of Power Tab (which apparently only runs on Windows), but have long-since switched to MuseScore, another open-source music editor, one that runs on both Windows and Unix-based systems. There you select a bar and use { to squeeze notes together and } to spread them out.

Have you searched online? I don't use Power Tab myself, but a brief search indicates that if you're cutting and pasting measures (to repeat a riff for example), PT automatically generates bar lines. Otherwise there, apparently, is

Section -->Position Width

then

+ spreads the notes out more,

and

- squeezes them together.

etc.

I used to use TuxGuitar, which is a Linux-based version of Power Tab (which apparently only runs on Windows), but have long-since switched to MuseScore, another open-source music editor, one that runs on both Windows and Unix-based systems. There you select a bar and use { to squeeze notes together and } to spread them out.

I wish it would automatically add bars. I only seem to be able to add them manually... I'll try the section thingamy...

I wish it would automatically add bars. I only seem to be able to add them manually... I'll try the section thingamy...

Oh, I think I see what you mean with the automatic generation. This is hard to explain without an image, but here goes... Without knowledge of how to use the spreading/squeezing feature that you mentioned, I have been finishing lines part way through bars. This means the next section starts part way through a bar. The trouble is if I'm copying and pasting several sections, it automatically puts bar markers after every 4 beats, starting at the beginning, which is entirely incorrect. Then I have to manually delete them all and put in new ones where I want them. At the moment, I'm spending about an hour fiddling with the software for every 30 minutes I'm spending actually working out the tune. It's very frustrating.

While not exactly an elegant solution, I've managed to fiddle with it and get it in shape in about 10 minutes rather than several hours, so that's a bonus. Now I've just got to finish tabbing out this song and then practice playing it.

Top Bottom