Page 229 of 231 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231 LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 2310

Thread: Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

So it's was Christmas last week and my birthday this week and my family didn't really know what to get me so they just chucked money and you know what that means!

NEW UKE DAY

I decided to go for one that I thought about when I ended up getting my Snail but decided not to get because I wanted to actually try a bunch of ukes out in-store. It's a Clearwater Les Paul-esque solid body tenor. I was a bit wary of buying it off Amazon but part of the money was vouchers so I thought why not. I'd seen a couple of reviews saying Clearwater's build quality was good and listened to a couple videos of one of their Strats, so once I checked the shipping time and it was clear it wasn't coming direct from China I decided to take the punt.

It arrived yesterday and I'm really impressed. Looks absolutely stunning, the build seems solid, there's attention to detail, the volume, tone and pickup controls make a genuine difference to the sound, and the tuners have a nice feel to them. There's a couple things I'm a bit worried about but that's because I still know nothing about set up despite 11 years playing stringed instruments. The neck pickup is on a slant, so it's deeper into the body under the E and A strings and that sometimes comes through in playing. Don't think that would be intentional. Also the action's REALLY low at the first fret and then gradually gets higher.

I haven't dug my amp back out yet so I've just been playing on headphones through a Vox amp plug (really cool gadget) and it's a lot of fun to play. And it doesn't disturb the missus when I'm working out a song with "fiddly bits" as she calls them.

I'll post a vid of it tonight for Keith's season, but so far it seems worth the 120 quid I spent.

Dunno if you can see the pickup issue on that last picture but opinions are appreciated.
    Last edited by RAB11; 01-04-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Looks sweet Ryan. Look forward to hearing you rocking out on this one. Re the pick up, are they adjustable with the two screws?( They look like screws to me). And is the action so low you are getting fret buzz? Are you used to a higher action on your ukes? The action usually gets a little higher doesn’t it from first fret onwards? . There are loads of YouTube vids on setting up guitars out there so you have that option of you have a few tools or want to invest in some. The other option is take it to a guitar shop and see if they do set ups. Isn’t SUS close to you? Good luck anyway. I also had NUD yesterday but alas it’s for my son, not for me

Cheers John. It is two screws on the pickup, I'll see if I can raise that up later on. No fret buzz that I've heard yet, guess I'm just wary of the set up where it's an Amazon uke. Intonation seems fine to me as well so maybe I am being picky.

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Quote Originally Posted by RAB11 View Post
    Cheers John. It is two screws on the pickup, I'll see if I can raise that up later on. No fret buzz that I've heard yet, guess I'm just wary of the set up where it's an Amazon uke. Intonation seems fine to me as well so maybe I am being picky.
    Yes, stop being so picky and play the bloody thing!

Quote Originally Posted by One Man And His Uke View Post
    Yes, stop being so picky and play the bloody thing!
    I would but it's frowned upon in the work place!

I managed to find a pre used Clearwater just prior to Xmas, & my pickups are the same, so I guess there is a reason for the slanted one.

I checked mine out using a Honeytone mini amp, but only got around to plugging it in to my Microcube last night.
    Needless to say, I had to try out the various effects & how they sounded on steel strings.
    What I did discover is that I need to be a bit more careful how I lift my fingers off at the frets, I got a few accidental pull offs.

Have fun with yours.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

RIP Ukulele Mike Lynch, A very sad loss for his family and the Ukulele community. Mikes/channel tutorials seemed to be the first port of call when you just started out and was definitely the main man of explaining things simply and in a language that most of us could understand. He was a very big part of my ukulele voyage in the early days for sure.
    Big thanks upstairs Mike,
    It seems everyone's trying to play the ukulele like someone else............the only real way is your own way.

Quote Originally Posted by mythinformed View Post
    RIP Ukulele Mike Lynch, A very sad loss for his family and the Ukulele community. Mikes/channel tutorials seemed to be the first port of call when you just started out and was definitely the main man of explaining things simply and in a language that most of us could understand. He was a very big part of my ukulele voyage in the early days for sure.
    He'll be missed, that's for sure.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Quote Originally Posted by mythinformed View Post
    Mine too.
    He was so generous and a great teacher.
    He will be missed.
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

ryan, my squier tele geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetar has the same thing going on with the pickups, but the other way around, they are closer to the higher-sounding strings. the set up on the pickups on your (lovely!) uke looks like it's intended to give a (for a uke) bass-heavy sound*, perhaps to compensate for the lack of bass strings, and hence give the uke a more guitar-y sound. with keith's uke being the same, it's obviously intentional. as john says you could adjust it with the screws, but personally i'd get the hang of how it sounds, as is, first, you might find you really like it and it's set up the best way.

how low is low for the action? how many millimetres at the nut and the 12th fret?

*it looks to be high g though? with high g, you'll still be bumping up the c string with the pickups like they are, but to really get maximum bass ooomph you might at some point wanna go low g? there's some useful info of strings for the risa LP-style tenor uke, which must be pretty similar to yours in design, here...

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...73#post1580173
    lynda

Thread Information