Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Oh, I thought I heard that they only regenerated 15 times, & that this would be the 15th. ;)

Rules are made to be broken. At the end of the next series, the Doctor will start to fizzle out in a cloud of glitter, and someone will say "oh my goodness, it's the Thornton Rule..."

"oh my goodness, it's the Thornton Rule..."
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah i think it's great the doc's gonna be a girl, i never thought it would happen!

i must confess i haven't watched much of the more recent docs, not since ecclestone, really, my fave doc is pertwee, which is going back a bit! but i'm gonna tune in for the new gal!

"i never thought it would happen!"

Ah but she's not the first woman to play the Doctor - and she has a tough act to follow too :)

But yeah, absurdly overdue after a statistically improbable 13 male doctors in a row (that was fine while the character was presumed "male", but now that we know there was, presumably a 50/50 chance with every regeneration of the doctor being female, it's like flipping a coin 13 times and getting 13 heads in a row... 0.5^13)

I loved Joanna Lumley in Sapphire and Steel, she was a missed opportunity as Dr. Who imo.

Sparky

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah i think it's great the doc's gonna be a girl, i never thought it would happen!

i must confess i haven't watched much of the more recent docs, not since ecclestone, really, my fave doc is pertwee, which is going back a bit! but i'm gonna tune in for the new gal!

I liked Pertwee, and Tom Baker after him. They have (or did have) Pertwee's little yellow car, Bessie wasn't it, at the motor museum at Gaydon.

The Doctor was never very macho - becoming a woman seems kind of natural - fish do it all the time - large barramundi are ALWAYS female - they turn.
Pertwee and Baker are the ones I watched most. Very pantomime then.

Oh, I thought I heard that they only regenerated 15 times, & that this would be the 15th. ;)

13 times. When he reached his last, they did a big thing about the timelords granting him extra regenerations from the time lock that they were caught in, presumably so that he could get them out. This was when he was Matt Smith. You might say Matt Smith was number 12, but apparently David Tennant regenerated once and remained David Tennant. Anyway, I hope Jodie Whittaker is going to be good. I have no reason to believe that she won't. Michelle Gomez was an awesome Master...

Joanna Lumley... a missed opportunity as Dr. Who imo.

Sparky
oh gosh i remember that!!!!! wonderful stuff! lumley would be WONDERFUL as the doctor! womankind must surely now be owed the next 14 regenerations ;) so maybe everyone's dr lumley dream might still come true!

I liked Pertwee, and Tom Baker after him. They have (or did have) Pertwee's little yellow car, Bessie wasn't it, at the motor museum at Gaydon.
the car was so great!

tom baker is the doctor i actually remember the most, from back in the day, but luckily thanks to dvd releases i have been able to refresh my memories of pertwee's super awesomeness. he was a VERY stylish dresser as the doctor!

oh gosh i remember that!!!!! wonderful stuff! lumley would be WONDERFUL as the doctor! womankind must surely now be owed the next 14 regenerations ;) so maybe everyone's dr lumley dream might still come true!

It will never happen, but I always thought Helen Mirren would be perfect...

Will the Doctor really return with two breasts?
Will the last Jedi really be the last?
Will the clouds eventually fizzle into glitter and we get a Dr Chewbacca Who?
Will we continue to dream about Helen Mirren?
Most importantly will Randy make a harry prediction, or will Harry make a randy prediction?

Will the Doctor really return with two breasts?
Will the last Jedi really be the last?
Will the clouds eventually fizzle into glitter and we get a Dr Chewbacca Who?
Will we continue to dream about Helen Mirren?
Most importantly will Randy make a harry prediction, or will Harry make a randy prediction?

:smileybounce:
We need a “Like” button on this forum....

re: Dr. Who

I think it's great that the Doctor is coming back as a woman, and I am very much looking forward to seeing her.

When I was a youngun, I remember Thom Baker as The Doctor, but never saw it much here in the US.

Later when they had reboot and started in 2005 and then again in 2009, from that time I was a huge fan of David Tennant, Matt Smith and also Peter Capaldi. I found on YT the interview on the Graham Norton show (from some time around May 2017), in which all three are guests at the same time and it was a great episode. (dont have the link handy, but should be easy to find).

Also, I started watching the aftershow, "Doctor Who Confidential" which seems to have ended now.

Also #2, I was a big fan of Sarah Jane, played by Elizabeth Sladen. I just loved her in that part, and she featured in a movie along with K9, and later there was a series called 'The Sarah Jane Adventures' which seemed primarily targeted towards kids. I enjoyed it any way. I was very sad when she passed away.

Of course we cannot forget the awesome John Barrowman as Captain Jack and the series "Torchwood". I loved Torchwood as well, and wish that they would bring it back. Gwen was such a magnificent character. The writing for this show was exceptional.

So, yet indeed, I am very much a fan of Doctor Who. Some day I will buy the DVD set from Amazon, etc and catch up on all of the historical episodes.

I think it was William Hartnell in the first series, an old fella with white hair, so that was probably why they came up with the regeneration scheme, just so that they could drag it out into more series if it took off, & it did. But I didn't like it after the first few regenerations, so stopped watching it.

I remember William Hartnell, and some of the sets having a Cabinet Of Dr Caligari kind of feel, and I think Patrick Troughton was the one who played penny whistle and liked jelly babies, but I may be wrong. Then the great Pertwee, and Tom Baker. Think I stopped watching after that. I remember the big screen version with Peter Cushing and Roy Castle too. But it was easier to watch tv in those days, with only 3 channels :D ( eeh, try telling that to the kids of today etc etc etc.....) There are literally any number of great tv shows competing for your time these days, and there just aren’t enough hours in the day to watch them. I will try to catch up with this new series if I can.

I remember William Hartnell, and some of the sets having a Cabinet Of Dr Caligari kind of feel, and I think Patrick Troughton was the one who played penny whistle and liked jelly babies, but I may be wrong. Then the great Pertwee, and Tom Baker. Think I stopped watching after that. I remember the big screen version with Peter Cushing and Roy Castle too. But it was easier to watch tv in those days, with only 3 channels :D ( eeh, try telling that to the kids of today etc etc etc.....) There are literally any number of great tv shows competing for your time these days, and there just aren’t enough hours in the day to watch them. I will try to catch up with this new series if I can.

Yes, Hartnell had to retire because of health problems, but the show was still top of the ratings so they came up with the regeneration thing. Originally only supposed to be 12 regenerations (13 doctors in total). Troughton played the whistle. Baker liked the jelly babies. Both Troughton and Baker occasionally played with a yo-yo, as well, I think. Pertwee didn't really have such a gimmick. His thing was fighting with "Venusian jiu-jistu," whatever that is. He was also the only doctor to drink an alcoholic beverage. Most of Pertwee's shows happened on present-day Earth. This made it a lot cheaper to produce, but was explained in the story that the TARDIS had been disabled by the Time Lords to punish him for his past transgressions. The last thing Troughton did was summon the Time Lords because he couldn't solve the problem by himself, and therefore they caught him, disabled the TARDIS, and forced him to regenerate. Regeneration was always traumatic and left the Doctor confused and more or less helpless for several episodes thereafter. Most of Troughton's episodes were wiped by the BBC so they could re-use the tape.

By the way, Lethbridge-Stewart was one of the few people who knew the Doctor so well that he could recognize him even when meeting a new regeneration for the first time.

Hartnell reappeared in the reunion show "The Three Doctors," but only in a limited fashion and always sitting down. He was replaced by a more-or-less lookalike for the reunion show "The Five Doctors." Everyone seems to have forgotten that there was already a female Time Lord: Romana. She voluntarily left herself trapped in E-Space (a small parallel universe), and according to the lore at the time, this made it impossible for her to ever return to our universe again. But I'm sure if they decided to go back and rescue Adric, he could use his super math skills to figure out a way to get her out.

I kinda know a lot of stuff about the original series.

Last edited:
oh yes, romana, played by a couple of actresses including my fave, the very lovely mary tamm

and yes of course, peter cushing! wonderful man and actor and a great dr who, the films are brill

Top Bottom