Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Thank you for the words of wisdom/warning. Just a quick update, after jumping through all the "Copyright School" hoops, I was finally able to see who requested the video be removed.

I had forgotten this, but that video opened with some really cool artwork of Medusa. Well, the artist who created that was the one who filed the claim, so it appears to be legit. I guess I'll put my torch and pitchfork away.
you know one time i had a vid taken down because of a clip i used from (new) battlestar galactica... glad you figured out what the problem was, can you re-do the vid and lose the image?

You could load from cassette? Luxury. I remember entering programs from punch cards. The privileged kids could use paper tape. Sometimes I even had to load bootstrap programs by entering assembler through front panel switches. And I hobbled five miles on crutches to school, uphill both ways, toting a wagon of boat anchors.
man, sounds to me like you had it real easy! ;)

In Bristol, where I lived in the late 80s the local commercial radio station, Radio West had a half hour weekly radio show where they would take listener's programs for Sinclair Spectrum computers, and would broadcast the tape on the radio show so other listeners could record them to tape and load them. I did that a few times myself. The programs were usually a bit rubbish and it was a bit hit-and-miss, but those were exciting times!

You could load from cassette? Luxury. I remember entering programs from punch cards. The privileged kids could use paper tape. Sometimes I even had to load bootstrap programs by entering assembler through front panel switches. And I hobbled five miles on crutches to school, uphill both ways, toting a wagon of boat anchors.

ha ha - you too funny, at least you had the crutches and wagon, some folks had even less...

I try to remind myself, that no matter how much fortune might smile upon me (or deprive me to poverty), there are always those less fortunate that I/we can help with kindness.

In Bristol, where I lived in the late 80s the local commercial radio station, Radio West had a half hour weekly radio show where they would take listener's programs for Sinclair Spectrum computers, and would broadcast the tape on the radio show so other listeners could record them to tape and load them. I did that a few times myself. The programs were usually a bit rubbish and it was a bit hit-and-miss, but those were exciting times!

That's very cool Jim - the early days of 'downloading' a program, over the air...I missed that since it was just a hair before my time, and if it was available in the USA, I would not have known since I was still very much just a wee lad, but I love hearing how folks got started with computers...

Yep, early Commodore Pet, C64, Atari, IBM, Apple, Acorn, Sinclair, and Radio Shack TRS-80 as well as a few others all booted into ROM and had 4K of RAM if you where lucky, and had the BASIC programming language built-in to the ROM and rudimentary commands to load and save programs from a 'tape drive' (as we called it back then)...

That's when I started.

Then later in the 90's, when the Motorola StarTac flip phone came out, it was often compared to the Star Trek 'communicator' (from the original series with Shatner and Nimoy) and some called it 'The Star Trek phone'...

When the first iPhones and first iPads came out, they were compared to the Star Trek PADD units, and some folks went nuts designing skins and sound for an overlay that made it look like the LCARS computer screens, and as I recall lots of apps for simulating a Tricorder, which now with Apple's HealthKit API's some of that is possible that a medical Tricorder was supposed to do...

One thing I dont miss are the modem sounds, like the fax sounds that would happen during the handshaking when you would dial-up to some remote BBS or to AOL or other online services...

Oh Yeah Baby! we've come a long way indeed! :) :music:

Oh if only we were evolving toward the loving, peaceful being we really are (but don't know it), half as fast as our technology is. Vulcan wasn't waiting only for us to develop warp drive, they were waiting for us to stop killing each other, and our planet.

I learned to program basic on a Commador Pet and HPL on a HP-98XXx (CRS) both had tape drives circa 1977-79?
-- but while I have your attention:
Gary Country and I are using the "Sunburst Singers" to try to teach kids the Joy of the Ukulele. We need some songs that are simple and would appeal to ~5-15 year olds. We're planning to teach strumming/singing on C, A, & D using I,IV, V7, vi and need some help. Our intent is not to teach all the theory or scales, but to teach basic strumming and chord progressions so the kids can have a foundation to go forth and learn more. I figure that haveing a Uke buddy to play with is the best way to attract kids to playing and hope the YTubes will provide a daily partner and a once a week get together will foster some music rather than video gaming.
I'm looking for songs with 1-2-3 chords for getting them interested in practicing strumming, chord changing, etc. We intend to put the lessons on You Tube so my granddaughter (5) in Reno and my nephews (5 & 4) in Brentwoood, down on the Delta, can participate, as well as the kids in our neighborhood.

The reason I ask ya'all is, at 72 and 77 we're a bit long in the tooth to have a clue to what kids would like to play/sing. We recently had a Season of kids songs, however they were not very suitable for beginning players, though we will maybe use some of them for later on??? Linda L. has been a big help and given me her opinions and I hope will give some YT lessons for her own GK's who may make use of our stuff.

I'm also looking for ideas for one or two finger chord songs that will work for a song with 4/4 & 3/4 strumming. Other ideas would be welcome as I intend to work on the first video lesson next week. It will be an introduction and first fingering lesson. I have it about scripted out and Gary and I will start to produce a draft version.

You can PM me with any ideas you think might help us.

My Doc at the VA clinic suggested I might teach a Old Vets Class at the VA Clinic, but it would have a different slant.

You are welcome to use any of my ditties that have been posted to the Seasons.

I'm not good enough to do fancy chord work, so they are all easy, I think I've included all the info with the videos, if not, just find a couple of chords that sound about right, it's what I do. :)

Been getting quite a few comments on the 'new' look. It wasn't by choice.
Hadn't been to the skin doctors for quite a few years and he suggested i shave off the beard to have a good look. i also have a lot of skin cancers to be removed around the face and ears (and back) so I could be looking like a partially dressed mummy in future vids. Already had one done near right ear with lots of stitches but it looks like it may heal pretty well.
I hate shaving so the beard will be back but the doc suggests I shave for my now mandatory yearly checks.

Hadn't been to the skin doctors for quite a few years and he suggested i shave off the beard to have a good look. i also have a lot of skin cancers to be removed around the face and ears (and back) so I could be looking like a partially dressed mummy in future vids. Already had one done near right ear with lots of stitches but it looks like it may heal pretty well.
I hate shaving so the beard will be back but the doc suggests I shave for my now mandatory yearly checks.

I was worried that might have been the explanation.

Sorry to hear mate, hopefully they've caught it early enough that it doesn't turn into a serious problem.

jackluis - i think very young kids like your granddaughter and newphews tend to be thrilled to get ANY song going on a uke! super simple 2 chord songs are a great idea, traditional songs or any style of popular music work - i think it's a bit older kids, teens and maybe nearly teens, who might be more concerned about doing chart songs they know

googling 2, 3 and even 1 chord songs would be a great start

Ouch. Hope everything that needs finding has been found, and that the healing goes to plan.

Sorry to hear that Pa. I hope it's been found in time and you don't have to go through Chemo. I've just seen my daughter go through chemo and it was a pretty rough time for her, though she kept positive and kept on with her nursing course. I was lucky with mine (bowel cancer) it hadn't gone too far and was dealt with by surgery.

Well wishes from me too pabrizzer. you haven't said what kind of skin cancer so Im hoping you've caught it in time. Glad you listening to the Dr. Better safe then sorry! And, speedy recovery!

I've had some Actinic Keratosis pre-cancers electively removed until I read they can be removed with ACV with mother. I just removed another that I noticed last week. I soaked a small ball of cotton and slept with it under a bandage last Thursday. One night and gone! Took 4 days to get rid of it.

You can't be too careful with these things.

jackluis - i think very young kids like your granddaughter and newphews tend to be thrilled to get ANY song going on a uke! super simple 2 chord songs are a great idea, traditional songs or any style of popular music work - i think it's a bit older kids, teens and maybe nearly teens, who might be more concerned about doing chart songs they know

googling 2, 3 and even 1 chord songs would be a great start

Ha Ha Ha,:D I did what you suggested and got a bazillion ref's!

Thanks for the "HINT".

I'm such a newbie when it comes to music and have a poor memory of my childhood songs, that I need some reminders now and again ( or as my wife says Again and Again!)

One of the first One Chord songs suggested was "Put the Lime In the Coconut" in C7. it was suggested to use three inversions of the chord and that would be real good to have the older kids play one and the younger kids play 0001 and still they could all participate in the singing. I'm going to put that in the first lesson to get people singing and DDuD strumming. :music:

Here's a quick share: Sunday night my uke band was playing a local tavern. Great crowd, Packers just won so everyone's happy. Two of our seven members can't make it, our harmonica player and our bass player. We got a sub bassist, she was terrific but she didn't really know any of our songs. Our bandleader forgets his trumpet, which he plays on a few numbers. Our leader also added a couple of songs which we hadn't rehearsed. Very unusual for us.

So, myself, and our percussionist take our our kazoos, and our lead uke grabs a slide whistle. We started cracking wise, blaring kazoos at inappropriate times, telling jokes, and in general we were totally nuts.It was a weird, wild, out-of-control show. And the crowd loved it. I was having so much fun my face actually started hurting from smiling.

Goes to show ya, sometimes when things go wrong, they go right!

Here's a quick share: Sunday night my uke band was playing a local tavern. Great crowd, Packers just won so everyone's happy. Two of our seven members can't make it, our harmonica player and our bass player. We got a sub bassist, she was terrific but she didn't really know any of our songs. Our bandleader forgets his trumpet, which he plays on a few numbers. Our leader also added a couple of songs which we hadn't rehearsed. Very unusual for us.

So, myself, and our percussionist take our our kazoos, and our lead uke grabs a slide whistle. We started cracking wise, blaring kazoos at inappropriate times, telling jokes, and in general we were totally nuts.It was a weird, wild, out-of-control show. And the crowd loved it. I was having so much fun my face actually started hurting from smiling.

Goes to show ya, sometimes when things go wrong, they go right!

Sounds like a great gig Randy. You know you're having fun when you get grinning pains...

Top Bottom