Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Comment from Mrs RABB this morning:

That was some pretty good playing this morning. Shame it woke me up.

I too have my own space (the background to almost all of my videos) where I do my playing. In fact, thinking about it, last week's Season video from the campervan was the first time I have recorded a song with my wife in the room. She didn't make any comment, until the following day, when we passed a busker in the street. "You're better than him" she said. I didn't agree, but it was nice of her to say so.:D

You know I find that wives are pretty honest commentators Steve. They usually call a spade a spade especially when it comes to their husband.

You know I find that wives are pretty honest commentators Steve. They usually call a spade a spade especially when it comes to their husband.

me too. When i was learning engraving sometimes she would say" well, it's not your best work..." Right to the heart. But she was right. And now when she says she loves my songs, I believe her.:)

Very true. At one point it seemed like only time she would comment was when something wasn't right...

"You were out of tune there".

OTOH, it's a sign of a good relationship that they feel comfortable about making honest comment and know that you won't take offence - even if you are a bit narked inside; often as much at yourself.

Yeah my wife will tell me when something isn't working, equally she'll take my comments on board when she's crocheting and I say something doesn't look quite right.

Similarly with my daughter. If she's buying a new dress or something she says she likes to ask my opinion because I'll be honest with her and say whether it looks right or not.

Ok here is something that I don't know if I should be bothered. I don't understand the creative commons thing. Ive known for a while that someone has created a whole channel with about 50 of my songs. I get many more likes and views over there. He is now adding other artists to the playlist and has recently changed the name of his channel.

What would you do if anything?

Seems like he is following the creative commons rules. I don't get it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7n1nt6vNlUWG5ZDtKAnBLA

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

linda - i see this person is uploading vids by several people - just straight re-uploading, not doing anything creative with the material - the description says "based on" but they are straight copies! i think it would be worth complaining to youtube, and maybe contacting the other people affected and seeing if they wanna complain too. i just can't understand the logic behind making this channel and stealing a load of other people's stuff and uploading it :confused:

lelouden: When I search for "linda louden" on youtube and set the filter to creative commons, I get 135 results. So it looks like you have actually published your videos under a creative commons licence, in which case I think that, yes, he is following the rules. If you didn't intend to grant such a licence you should go to "Creator Studio" -> "Channel" -> "Upload Default" and make sure that "Standard YouTube Licence" is selected for future uploads.

Last edited:
well spotted plastikuke!

there's an article about the differences here

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-d...YouTube-license-and-a-creative-common-license

basically it looks like the standard youtube licence protects your rights to the material and no one can legitimately just pick it up and go do any old thing with it, whereas the creative commons licence means your material is pretty much up for grabs to anyone

lelouden: When I search for "linda louden" on youtube and set the filter to creative commons, I get 135 results. So it looks like you have actually published your videos under a creative commons licence, in which case I think that, yes, he is following the rules. If you didn't intend to grant such a licence you should go to "Creator Studio" -> "Channel" -> "Upload Default" and make sure that "Standard YouTube Licence" is selected for future uploads.

Just went over and checked it out and you are exactly right! That is what my channel was set to. Fixed!

Im still confused though. Why would anyone want anything off my channel. Are they making a profit in some way of other YTers? I'm with Linda on this. I don't understand how it is that they are getting view counts off my vids over my own channel. I mean truthfully their nothing special. What would be the purpose of someone doing this and how in the heck are they getting the views? Somehow they are generating traffic?

well spotted plastikuke!

there's an article about the differences here

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-d...YouTube-license-and-a-creative-common-license

basically it looks like the standard youtube licence protects your rights to the material and no one can legitimately just pick it up and go do any old thing with it, whereas the creative commons licence means your material is pretty much up for grabs to anyone

And what now? Now that Ive changed my settings are my vids on that channel under some kind of rule? Are they his or mine to claim?

After changing my settings I went and checked to see if all my other videos changed by default. Apparently not. I clicked on one he has on his channel and it was still set to CC. I guess I now have to go through all the past vids and change them individually.

Not sure what to do after that. Im wondering if YT will contact him with a notification or if I will have to do it.

I was reluctant to share this info and boy, Im glad I did. I have no idea when I could have possibly accidentally changed my channel to fare use.

Maybe this will help someone else having the same thing happening to them.

Last edited:
Well,the creative commons site states that "The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms." So, I think technically he's still in the right. You could probably try to contact him and explain the situation, or try to file a copyright complaint anyway, no idea how youtube would handle that.

Edit: Not sure if you can apply a cc licence to a cover of a song in the first place, since the rights to the song probably belong to someone else. But that goes beyond my very basic understanding of cc licences now...

Last edited:
Well,the creative commons site states that "The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms." So, I think technically he's still in the right. You could probably try to contact him and explain the situation, or try to file a copyright complaint anyway, no idea how youtube would handle that.

Thank you PlastkUke for this information. It appears that I have to go back and reset all the vids individually. Not just the ones on his channel. I guess I have no one to blame but myself for not reading all the info rules and just how easy it is to make this mistake.

Thanks Lynda for keeping this convo alive and for your help too.

After changing my settings I went and checked to see if all my other videos changed by default. Apparently not. I clicked on one he has on his channel and it was still set to CC. I guess I now have to go through all the past vids and change them individually.

Not sure what to do after that. Im wondering if YT will contact him with a notification or if I will have to do it.

I was reluctant to share this info and boy, Im glad I did. I have no idea when I could have possibly accidentally changed my channel to fare use.

Maybe this will help someone else having the same thing happening to them.

This whole process is very strange.

I am not sure what remedy you may have, other than suggest you to notify YT that someone is republishing your videos under a different channel that is NOT yours.

It all seems very shady to me.

The ONLY thing I can think of that is 'reasonable' is that someone is a rabid fan of your videos and has copied them to their channel, just in case you decide to take them down, this person can still see them, and ON YT itself.

What further puzzles me is that there are several ways to automate the download of all videos on a channel or playlist, and why not just copy the videos to their own computer and watch them without using YT?

Speculating on the motivations and possible scenarios might be a neat 'thought experiment', by experience tells me that all the guessing will do little to solve the mystery without a direct conversation with the person running the alternate YT channel.

Nefarious intent? Who knows?

You should know that methods of downloading in both free and paid programs for Win/Mac/Linux exist that do not require the skills of a computer programmer nor an alpha geek, and can be done by average folks, so this person might not actually be a 'hacker' in the commonly accepted (and often incorrect) definition of 'hacker'.

I guess I have no one to blame but myself for not reading all the info rules and just how easy it is to make this mistake.
Well, youtube don't exactly go to great lenghts to make the differences between their licences clear. When you change the licence on an individual video, there's a link to an explanation But on the Upload Defaults page? Nothing. Makes no sense.

It has been a head scratcher for me for months Booli.

Good point PlastikUke. I guess he owns a piece of me now.

Last edited:
Without re reading the rules, it basically says that you agree to share things that you created, as long as no one claims it is theirs, otherwise, I think copyrights remain that of the creator, as they would normally. I believe you should have stated that your work was released under the creative commons rules for it to be used though.
(I did read them some time ago, when I was contemplating computer stuff.)

Interesting discussion going on here Linda.
I just checked mine and it was set as Standard YouTube license.
Posting a vid here is like posting a photo on a community notice board - they really can end up anywhere.
But anything can happen when you step outside your door in the real world.
Actually anything can happen even if you stay at home....
Pretty annoying though getting views (and money?) from your vids ....

Top Bottom