Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

...techie question - downloading vids from youtube for collabs and wotnot - in the past i've used or, more recently, tried to use, various websites for downloading footage for collabs - but now they have stopped allowing downloads, either completely, or stopped allowing downloads with any music o_O or won't allow me to download, here in the UK

does anyone in the UK have a solution? what are you guys using to download other people's vids from youtube for collabs and the like?

at the moment i'm getting footage just with a camera, which gives me something to work with for now, but obviously poor quality visuals

the most recent site i tried was a german site that heino uses and recommended, but it won't let me use it here in the UK :(

I use a different setup than what other folks mentioned...

[links are at the end of this post]

For single videos:

In Firefox, I have an extension installed called 'GreaseMonkey', which lets you install scripts into itself that allow you to control the behavior of how a web site is presented to you...

Inside GreaseMonkey, I have installed a script called 'SaveTube'.

SaveTube inserts a download button next to any site that has a video, like YT or Vimeo, Daily Motion, etc...

You can also select the quality and version of the video to download at the download button itself.

I can just click that and it will ask me to download normally.

For grabbing an entire playlist or a whole YT channel in one batch:

This is useful for watching a series of videos offline, like on your phone or tablet when traveling and not sure of having an internet connection. Once the videos are downloaded to your computer, you can then transfer them to your device by normal means.

I do not abuse this function since YT might possibly catch-on and prevent this from working.

I use a command-line Python program called youtube-dl, and you need to tell is some options on the command-line when you invoke it, such as quality, file type, how many retries and the source url (playlist or channel) and it runs very fast and will iterate through all the videos it can find.

You can also run it again later to grab new videos, and it will check the folder and see what videos you already downloaded so as to avoid duplicates.

I also pipe the actual download function to a program called 'wget' which is standard on Linux/Unix systems.

I use wget because it preserves timestamps on the video files from when they were created and uploaded to YT. youtube-dl does NOT, and piping the download to another built-in Linux/Unix program called 'curl' dies NOT either.

Timestamps are important for sorting files in chronological order, especially if you wanted to grab all the tutorial videos from say Cynthia Lin, or 'The Ukulele Teacher' and be able to watch them in order by upload date. wget will PRESERVE the upload date.

If you are on Windows or Mobile, this will NOT work this way.

On Windows you have to rely upon the functions built-in and cannot pipe the download to wget, because wget does not exist for Windows as far as I know.

Here is an example of the command line for youtube-dl to download ALL of the videos on Cynthia Lin's YT channel:

Code:
youtube-dl -f best --retries 100 --external-downloader wget https://www.youtube.com/user/cynthialinmusic/videos

Links:

https://www.greasespot.net/

http://sebaro.pro/savetube/

https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

This all may be too involved for most folks, but I use the Python programming language for work, and the other stuff are part of the normal add-ons I have set up in Firefox.

If anyone wants to replicate my setup, let me know and I will be happy to help. :)

Trent’s Jimmy Buffett cover made me think of this, and I thought I would share, figuring people might be interested given the origin of the ukulele (and maybe as a break from tech discussion)...

Kilauea volcano (Big Island) has been erupting pretty much continuously for decades, but it has been going crazy the past couple of weeks, including a 6.9 earthquake last Friday, and lava flows into local communities (37 structures destroyed as of this writing). Those lava flows are at least partially responsible for draining of the lava lake in the volcano’s summit crater. Here’s some video from a couple of weeks ago, showing flows into the crater floor...

Fortunately all of the monitoring work resulted in evacuations before things got too crazy and so far I don’t think anyone has been hurt. So if you can spare a few of them, send some good vibes their way.

Last edited:
Baritone Retreat Workshop with Kimo Hussey - August 2018
Les Stansell, a fine luthier, is hosting a baritone ukulele retreat led by Kimo Hussey: the Pistol River Ukulele Retreat - Aug 9-12.

Les may be contacted at: stansellguitars@gmail.com

His website is: www.stansellguitars.com

Here's the info. I have so far. Les told me today that there are about 8 slots open at this point for additional participants. Linda

1st Annual Pistol River Invitational Baritone Ukulele Retreat and Kanikapila

August 9 - 12 (Thursday Afternoon - Sunday Morning)

Instructor - Kimo Hussey - (with a little help from his friends) "De-Mystifying the Baritone Ukulele”

Classes focused around the Baritone Ukulele with Occasional Spontaneous Kanikapila and Saturday Night Concert!

Note: Subject to a minor change or two if necessary.

Thursday August 9 - 3 to 5 pm Orientation/ "Meet and Greet”/Builders Display (Stansell/Roberts/Kinnard) at the Hall - 5pm Reception/Open House at Stansell Guitars & Ukuleles

Friday August 11 - 9 am to 12 noon . . . 2 to 4 pm Class/Instruction by Kimo - 6 pm Dinner Extravaganza/Kanikapila/Jam ‘till whenever.

Saturday August 10 - 9 am to 12 noon . . . 2 to 4 pm Class/Instruction by Kimo - 8 pm Pistol River Concerts Presents "Kimo Hussey & Friends”

Sunday August 12 - 10 am . . . Coffee/Discussion/Wrap-up/Aloha

25 Attendees @ $250 for Tuition + Friday Night Dinner (Spouses/Significant Others/Family Members are welcome to attend the Friday Night Dinner and Activities for $50)

Featuring Ukuleles by Les Stansell, Mark Roberts and Kevin Kinnard

Lodging available at Arcadia Vacation Rentals, Pistol River, Oregon - Contact Chontel Klobas

Hi guys!

I'm starting my first ukulele lessons for kids tomorrow. I have 15 kids signed up :eek: and I'm teaching them in groups of two. I think tomorrow we will learn how to strum and all that, and C and Am. (and maybe F if some of them are really fast learners) I'm very excited, but also a little nervous. Any last minute words of advice?

Hi guys!

I'm starting my first ukulele lessons for kids tomorrow. I have 15 kids signed up :eek: and I'm teaching them in groups of two. I think tomorrow we will learn how to strum and all that, and C and Am. (and maybe F if some of them are really fast learners) I'm very excited, but also a little nervous. Any last minute words of advice?

If you can get across half the sense of fun that you have in your own videos, you'll have no problem.

hey gang! still recovering from carpal tunnel surgery, still no feeling in my thumb and forefinger of my left hand...
it's been that way for six or so months also giant pain in my wrist...waiting for the "nerves to re-grow",,,,,
sucks getting old and falling apart! oops!
have lurked since this issue started...trying hard to get back into playing again....
not one to open up, just alittle FYI.
hope to join the seasons again soon! love to all, thesillydave

hey gang! still recovering from carpal tunnel surgery, still no feeling in my thumb and forefinger of my left hand...
it's been that way for six or so months also giant pain in my wrist...waiting for the "nerves to re-grow",,,,,
have lurked since this issue started...trying hard to get back into playing again....

Bummer - sure hope you can return to normal playing again soon. And i do miss your FAB contributions SD.

Daily playing is such an integral part of being me - I'd hate not to be able to do it.

Bummer - sure hope you can return to normal playing again soon. And i do miss your FAB contributions SD.

Daily playing is such an integral part of being me - I'd hate not to be able to do it.

Hope you get better soon. That sounds absolutely horrible!

All good wishes headed your way, Dave! Hope you'll be pain free before long and able to enjoy playing before long. Hugs! Linda

We’ve missed you, Dave! Recover well and look forward to more silliness when you’re able!

Hope you're on the mend soon Dave. This place needs some silly!

In other news, stumbled upon a near-perfect ukulele rack in B & Q today. Slightly too big for my sopranos and I need to make some modifications to ensure the all stay in place when I slide it in and out of where it's supposed to go but I'm pretty happy with it!

Not happy to discover the A string on my Dolphins gone though!

2d6tpv9.jpg

25re5j6.jpg

Edit: my living room is a mess. I know.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear Dave, you and your old time uke style is sorely missed here mate, you're like part of the furniture of these seasons.
Hope to hear you up and playing again soon.............or even adapting like a certain Mr. Reinhardt. Gawd bless ya

Brother Dave,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery :)

Gentle and frequent practice will likely do more for the nerve pathways regenerating than abstaining from playing, but please make sure to maintain the discipline of whatever physical therapy is recommended, even if it is as simple and/or silly as squishing a foam ball all day long...

But please pace yourself and try not to over-do it, as we need your music here.

There has been a chilling void during your absence, that needs to be filled.

Take your time, and when you are ready, we will all be very happy to see you up to speed once again when you are all healed.

Hope you're on the mend soon Dave. This place needs some silly!

In other news, stumbled upon a near-perfect ukulele rack in B & Q today. Slightly too big for my sopranos and I need to make some modifications to ensure the all stay in place when I slide it in and out of where it's supposed to go but I'm pretty happy with it!

Not happy to discover the A string on my Dolphins gone though!

What was that actually FOR, Ryan .... surely B&Q aren't really making racks for ukuleles?

Top Bottom