Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh tell us what you got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went for the Snail Ebony in the end. Sounded the best out of the ones I played (apart from the Koaloha I cheekily had a look at) and looked even better in person AND was about 30 quid cheaper than I thought it was gonna be too! Probably won't have chance to do a vid till the morning though because I'm cooking my mum dinner as a thank you for putting up with me

vy1lyc.jpg

I love the grain on it. Really light and comfy to hold too.

Last edited:
anyone have a memorization technique for the diminished chords? I am seeing a pattern but it isn't fitting together in my brain...

Every diminished chord is a 7th chord with the root removed. G7 with the root removed becomes B dim. C7 with the root (C) removed becomes E dim, and so forth. In almost every case, they both serve the same harmonic function (because in the diminished chord, both half-steps are preserved). Which is why many uke players substitute an F#dim for a real D7, because the F#dim is easier to play.

Only one slight problem I have with it. The side sound port is entirely useless because my man boob plugs it perfectly (and I need to file the nut down a little because it digs in a bit) but other than that it's amazing!

looks like i won the auction and it only cost me 30 dollars with shipping! there is some cheap stuff at shopgoodwill.com (where I got it). I can live with the spinet having a few bits of road wear from some kid having fun with it before I got it.

piano.JPG

a bit bummed out today because of the massacre and Tom Petty dying too young. :uhoh:

a bit bummed out today because of the massacre and Tom Petty dying too young. :uhoh:

I feel ya brother. Both events so very sad. Music and ukulele will help ease the pain. :music:

looks like i won the auction and it only cost me 30 dollars with shipping! there is some cheap stuff at shopgoodwill.com (where I got it). I can live with the spinet having a few bits of road wear from some kid having fun with it before I got it.

View attachment 103395

Wow, when you said "toy piano" I was picturing something like Schroeder plays, not a big upright like that. Really cool!

it's smaller than you think as you need to sit on the floor to play it still. just happens to be an upright style. 3 full octaves! :cool:

oh, in addition there is another songwriting contest on the site I previously mentioned with a "month of spookiness" theme. many of the originals this week would be great for it.

For those that might have noticed in my Season 294 vid, why yes, that is a new ukulele. I was getting nervous bringing my Martin to the field, so I sprung for a Bonanza HPL. They call this pattern 'tutti frutti'. This is one of their pear shaped sopranos. It came strung with fishing line, which sounded a little dead to me and had much different feeling tension on the low-G, so I swapped them out for a set of Aquila's. Still low-G, but feels a lot more even. I've had it for a couple of weeks, but needed some practice on the smaller neck (Martin's a concert) and wanted to wait for the strings to settle a bit more. First field test this weekend in Owens Valley in the eastern Sierra.

IMG_3062.jpg

Top Bottom