Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Wierd. I haven't had any issues at all. I wonder if its because I use Chrome. Usually I'm on the forefront of complaining about change but in this case it hasn't affected me.

Chrome is Google's own browser, so you shouldn't get problems with it, or Youtube, as that is now owned by them too. Google are trying to kill off Firefox, that's why we FF users keep having problems since they bought YT.

Sorted out my trouble by re installing with my old O/S - thanks for wasting two days of my time YT!

Keith, you could have just removed Firefox and purged, and then re-installed, without having to do a full wipe-and-reload...

Not sure if Devuan us Debian/apt-based but if so:

1. sudo apt-get remove firefox

2. sudo apt-get autoremove

3. sudo apt-get purge

4. sudo apt-get install firefox

would have replaced the corrupted Firefox with a fresh install, while leaving your settings intact

Also you could have opened Firefox with extensions disabled by holding down the SHIFT key when you click the icon to launch it, AS WELL as creating a NEW profile, which by doing so will let you see if it is something in your preferences (which a new profile is blank/default set of preferences) or in fact some corruption with Firefox at a system-level...

Wiping and reloading the OS seems to be an extreme measure and would be used only as a last resort. Hopefully you have a backup or your home folder on another driver or partition so you did not lose any files...

In my experience, I've been able to install most Debian variants from the net-install or 'mini.iso' in under 40 mins to a full desktop boot, and I have scripts that reload my apps, and there is a program called Aptik, which will allow you to backup and restore all important apps, settings, 3rd-party repos, and your home folders, all with a single click. I used it in combination with rsync for backups and migrating or upgrading...

see here:

http://www.teejeetech.in/p/aptik.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

FYI: On my main computer, I have a 250GB Samsung EVO SSD as the boot drive where Xubuntu 16.04 is installed, and then I have a second hard drive, (2TB) that has my home folder and swap partition, and all are backed up daily to USB external drives via a cron job that runs my rsync script. Weekly backups are also run via cron job and rsync script to my server, which the server then backs up nightly via tarsnap (to the cloud)...

https://www.tarsnap.com/

Chrome is Google's own browser, so you shouldn't get problems with it, or Youtube, as that is now owned by them too. Google are trying to kill off Firefox, that's why we FF users keep having problems since they bought YT.

I agree and inferred as much in my above wall of text re: Mozilla vs. Google

FYI:
Wikipedia said:
YouTube is an American video-sharing website headquartered in San Bruno, California. The service was created by three former PayPal employees — Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim — in February 2005. Google bought the site in November 2006 for US$1.65 billion; YouTube now operates as one of Google's subsidiaries.
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube

Wikipedia said:
Google Chrome is a freeware web browser developed by Google. It was first released in September 2008, for Microsoft Windows, and was later ported to Linux, macOS, iOS and Android.
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome

Hi Booli, re installing only takes me about 30mins. :)

I reuse my home folder if it's something like this where it is program related, not system/OS problem.

Yes, I have a recent back up of my files on an external drive, just in case - never needed it yet, but you never know. ;)
(I also have my bookmarks & the .mozilla folder.)

It is just so damned annoying when YT does this kind of thing, (I think I lost sound the last time they changed stuff). I do try to sort it, but if it's taking too long, it's just quicker in the end to do a re install, I find.

Anyway, I'm good - it just got me annoyed. :cool:

Hi Booli, re installing only takes me about 30mins. :)

I reuse my home folder if it's something like this where it is program related, not system/OS problem.

Yes, I have a recent back up of my files on an external drive, just in case - never needed it yet, but you never know. ;)
(I also have my bookmarks & the .mozilla folder.)

It is just so damned annoying when YT does this kind of thing, (I think I lost sound the last time they changed stuff). I do try to sort it, but if it's taking too long, it's just quicker in the end to do a re install, I find.

Anyway, I'm good - it just got me annoyed. :cool:

I'm glad you got it sorted quickly and easily.

Google treats us users of YT like we are lambs being harvested for the slaughterhouse, and thankfully, Mozilla is aggressively fighting back, as is the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation), for without them, we'd have no choice other than Chromium on Linux but Midori, Dillo, or Konqueror browsers, WIndows users would only have Microsloth's Internet Exploder, or Chrome, and Mac would have only Safari or Chrome really, so I am thankful for Firefox, even if it does take them some time to catch up to what Google does...

Many areas of internet functions are near to, or are already controlled by either a monopoly company or in a tech-mono-culture, and neither of which are good for us end-users...

I came over here to complain about the new YT layout and things not working properly and see that Im not alone! I am using Safari.

I sure hope it doesn't give me grief this week!

:mad:

After reading this weeks theme I dug out all the songs I think I can play ( there is some debate about my ability) and found I had 12 songs by Willy Nelson, Johnny Cash and John Denver that "I CAN play/sing." Amazing!

I generally get so wound around my axel that It's Sunday before I have a song that I beieve is creditable. But this week I'm going to record all 12 and pick the best five to enter.

You have been warned!

Jack that is exciting news. I love it when that happens to me. Im with BEV. Cant wait to hear what you bring :)

Jack that is exciting news. I love it when that happens to me. Im with BEV. Cant wait to hear what you bring :)

Yeah, I've been practicing City of New Orleans and still having trouble with the Bb in the chorus. But I'm working on it. The reason I put up my first post is to challenge myself to actually get going on this. Sort of putting my moaning where my mouth is! ;-)

I've done some of these songs before with Gary, but this week I want to go solo. When we play/sing together I depend on him to keep my strum in check and mask my off key voice. Gary just got a new concert and I'm hoping he'll use it this week. I've got a new Sopranino Pocket Uke coming and I hope it makes here it this week. It was in LAX customs Saturday so Maybe!

Keith already did my Amazing Grace but maybe I'll do a vocal of it as he just played an instrumental.

Don't ever worry about repeats. Truly they are never repeats as no-one does a song the same way. Thats what I love about the seasons :)

Looking forward to it Jack!

YaHoo my newest littlest Zebra showed up today and I took it up to have it set up and the right strings put on it. I'll get it back tomorrow and see how well it plays in gCEA. The strings it came with would only tune to aDF#B. I have just about learned to play in C and G tuning, learning another one would get me even more confused! I also figure out the problem with my mic so I can probably get the Sopranino's to record well.

I'm wondering how Johnny Cash will sound on a pocket uke! :p

at a rough guess, fabulous!

I just tried Amazing Grace on my littlest Rubin and found I couldn't hang onto it, so I guess I'll have them put a button on it's bottom and the new one too when I get it tomorrow. I may have to play them with a pick to get the sound right for recording. Good grief they are small!

See the Pic on my NUD post on Uke Talk. ;-)

That is a good looking little baby Jack. Yes, the little ones are hard to hang onto. A button would be a good idea :)

Top Bottom