Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I feel like the proverbial wallflower....no one even noticed my post. Never did hook up with anyone and I so wanted to. I did go to a Hawaiian restaurant and saw a UU person perform Hawaiian songs. Quick hello, ate dinner with family and left. I have such a horrible memory. I don’t even remember who I listend to ☹️

Janet -

Sorry you felt neglected here, and had a bad experience on your trip.

Please dont take it personally as I think it's not 'you', but rather that over the past several months it seems that there has not been as much activity in this thread like there used to be.

Not sure why.

I've not been active in the Seasons for a while, so I don't know, but maybe everyone is only spending time chatting in those threads instead?

Is anyone else having to log in every time they want to go on this site ... or is it just me????

Yes, Val, YT has had a change lately, That always messes things up. I have a separate page bookmarked for comments now and refer to it when I want to know who I need to reply to as the bell is inconsistent too. My emails stopped working long ago. If you go to your creator studio and then comments you can bookmark your page for easy access.

UU log-in - Yes, they broke that too :)

I thought it was my new computer but its the site. I was getting so frustrated having to log back in that I decided just to go check the thread without logging in AND, guess what? I was magically logged in. Now I don't bother logging in because apparently I am logged in. Go figure!
Try it and see if that works for you.

I feel like the proverbial wallflower....no one even noticed my post. Never did hook up with anyone and I so wanted to. I did go to a Hawaiian restaurant and saw a UU person perform Hawaiian songs. Quick hello, ate dinner with family and left. I have such a horrible memory. I don’t even remember who I listend to ☹️

Oh this makes me feel bad Janet. Im not in Cali but I did see the message.

Todd B has asked me to join his Folk/Traditional gathering once a month and Ive ignored the invitation.
Its not that I dont want too but I have a bit of social anxiety.
I know, I know! I should go. I just cant get myself to do it.

Many thanks, Linda! Yes, that thing of going directly to a thread here on the Forum works ... how strange! As to YT, I know where to find the comments in the creator studio, but I'm not sure they're all there and the "bell" is definitely not working; I DO wish they'd leave well enough alone!

Yes, Val, YT has had a change lately, That always messes things up. I have a separate page bookmarked for comments now and refer to it when I want to know who I need to reply to as the bell is inconsistent too. My emails stopped working long ago. If you go to your creator studio and then comments you can bookmark your page for easy access.

UU log-in - Yes, they broke that too :)

I thought it was my new computer but its the site. I was getting so frustrated having to log back in that I decided just to go check the thread without logging in AND, guess what? I was magically logged in. Now I don't bother logging in because apparently I am logged in. Go figure!
Try it and see if that works for you.

Many thanks, Linda! Yes, that thing of going directly to a thread here on the Forum works ... how strange! As to YT, I know where to find the comments in the creator studio, but I'm not sure they're all there and the "bell" is definitely not working; I DO wish they'd leave well enough alone!

I mostly check comments on my iPad/Tablet/Phone. I have downloaded the YT Studio app and that seems to keep me up to date. They've changed the YT Studio on the main site to more or less match the phone/tablet app layout and I've taken to checking the creator studio when I check on my laptop which is were I edit all my recordings and upload to YT/UU. Seems to work OK. I still get email notifications but I tend to ignore them and go straight to studio, except where they are replies to comments on other's entries.

Please don't jump on me for saying this. I am just talking about my personal feelings, which I'm sure many of you don't share.

Anyway, I find seasons with high song limits to be intimidating. I can't keep up with listening to other people's entries and I feel like my entries get lost in the crowd. I usually only manage 1 entry per season, no matter how hard I try. I think my record has been 4 in a season (possibly Jon's 2-chord song season?). Anyway, this is coming from someone who is reasonably experienced these days. I can't imagine how intimidating it must be for beginners. Personally, I would like to see more seasons with song limits of 3 or lower.

Please don't jump on me for saying this. I am just talking about my personal feelings, which I'm sure many of you don't share.

Anyway, I find seasons with high song limits to be intimidating. I can't keep up with listening to other people's entries and I feel like my entries get lost in the crowd. I usually only manage 1 entry per season, no matter how hard I try. I think my record has been 4 in a season (possibly Jon's 2-chord song season?). Anyway, this is coming from someone who is reasonably experienced these days. I can't imagine how intimidating it must be for beginners. Personally, I would like to see more seasons with song limits of 3 or lower.

While you certainly may feel intimidated, you are as much a presence on the Seasons as those of us who go hog-wild once in a while. I understand the feeling. I often feel woefully inadequate with my voice and with my playing level. But, I bring what I can with as much enthusiasm as I can feel, and it's all okay. I enjoy those who bring wicked skills here, and despite my self-consciousness, manage to enjoy the Seasons as much as I've enjoyed anything in my life. I would not think of holding anyone back. I want everyone to jump in and have fun. As much fun as they wish.

Similarly, there are some who greatly enjoy submitting every day, even several times a day. I enjoy their submissions very much. But I also enjoy those who only enter one or two a week.

I've never felt pressured to comment on everyone's entry. Quite the opposite. I comment when I can, or when I'm inspired to, and other times I just listen to the Playlist while reading. It's all good.

My big, long-winded, point is, I think everyone should play and sing and record as much as they wish. Each according to their ability, each according to their needs (to cop a phrase!). Please don't think I'm jumping at you, this is a terrific and timeless and worthwhile discussion for the Seasons, and there is no wrong answer. Your feelings and opinion are as important as mine. I'm just pitching in my two cents!

i am no stranger to doing a song a day. and in alphabet week i did 23 songs! that was crazy - in a good way! - and shed loads of fun! however - when people set a low song limit, i find it really focuses the mind. i start to think, if i can only bring three songs, or maybe even only one song, which one(s) will i bring? i think a lot more about the song choice(s). it also makes a season a LOT easier to keep up with, in terms of listening to everyone else's songs. if there is a strict song limit, there is nothing to stop more prolific uke-ers posting additional songs on the island - that was one of the reasons that thread was created. so, although i know it probably sounds a bit rich, coming from someone who does like to bring a gazillion songs a week, but i'm all in favour of low song limits, including one-song limits.

While you certainly may feel intimidated, you are as much a presence on the Seasons as those of us who go hog-wild once in a while. I understand the feeling. I often feel woefully inadequate with my voice and with my playing level. But, I bring what I can with as much enthusiasm as I can feel, and it's all okay. I enjoy those who bring wicked skills here, and despite my self-consciousness, manage to enjoy the Seasons as much as I've enjoyed anything in my life. I would not think of holding anyone back. I want everyone to jump in and have fun. As much fun as they wish.

Similarly, there are some who greatly enjoy submitting every day, even several times a day. I enjoy their submissions very much. But I also enjoy those who only enter one or two a week.

I've never felt pressured to comment on everyone's entry. Quite the opposite. I comment when I can, or when I'm inspired to, and other times I just listen to the Playlist while reading. It's all good.

My big, long-winded, point is, I think everyone should play and sing and record as much as they wish. Each according to their ability, each according to their needs (to cop a phrase!). Please don't think I'm jumping at you, this is a terrific and timeless and worthwhile discussion for the Seasons, and there is no wrong answer. Your feelings and opinion are as important as mine. I'm just pitching in my two cents!

I understand, and I'm certainly not advocating for low song limits every week, but a good mix is nice...

The number of songs we bring is entirely up to the host.
Being a one song a week seasonista is fine.
There are people here who obviously enjoy playing their ukes and sharing their songs - expecting them to be one song a week seasonistas is not quite so fine.
I no longer comment on every entry unless I'm hosting. I now sometimes just leave a like.
But I do still notice who brings a song/s along each season.
As I say (again) the number of songs we bring is entirely up to the host.

The number of songs we bring is entirely up to the host.
Being a one song a week seasonista is fine.
There are people here who obviously enjoy playing their ukes and sharing their songs - expecting them to be one song a week seasonistas is not quite so fine.
I no longer comment on every entry unless I'm hosting. I now sometimes just leave a like.
But I do still notice who brings a song/s along each season.
As I say (again) the number of songs we bring is entirely up to the host.

Really didn't mean this to be telling anyone what to do. Just saying that I personally find it overwhelming...

Really didn't mean this to be telling anyone what to do. Just saying that I personally find it overwhelming...

Sometimes I do too - but they wouldn't be bringing along so many songs if they weren't having fun. I don't think they mind if we can't keep up - I know when I bring lots of songs along I don't expect people to be watching them all.
I too like an occasional one song season - it does make you think much more about which song to bring.

I 'feel your pain', Robin, not having enough time to justify more than one entry per Season, but we're all different. :)

When I host, I'm doing it for the Seasonistas - so usually, I try not to put a cap on how many songs they can send, as I know some of them just live to play songs - some even enjoy doing silly songs - it's all good.

Keeping up with listening to all the entries can be a full time job though, so I'm happy if a few people have taken the time to listen to my entries, (which I admit are not often now), but I enjoy what I do, & I think that the prolific entrants are mainly doing it just because they too enjoy doing it. :cool:

You could start a topic where only one entry per week is allowed, if you want - but you'd need to nurture it along.

Personally, I'm still as bad as I ever was on the uke, but come the long nights, I may even have another crack at it.

Along side my harmonicas, whistles & flutes - there just isn't enough time in a day to do everything though - something has to give - & in my case, it was the uke - but I still regard myself as a Seasonista. ;)

I don't find the unlimited song limit intimidating but I do understand what you're saying about feeling like your song gets lost in the crowd. I know people that are bringing 10+ songs are doing it because they are loving what they are doing and they have the ability to crank them out. However, I don't believe your songs or anyone else that brings only one song gets buried in the pile.

I have noticed views and comments have gone way down over the last year for everyone. Maybe that is why you feel yours are getting lost. I think part of that is because there are more seasonistas now. More songs and more songs per person is too much for any of us to keep up with. The seasons are here for sharing so I don't have a problem with people going crazy. I've been known to do it.

I used to feel obligated to watch and comment on every single video. I can no longer do that. I try and watch at least one for everybody. Sometimes I will comment and sometimes I don't. The one thing I try and do now is make sure for every person that watches and comments on my video, I try and do the same for them if I havent already.

Last edited:

As a relative newbie to the seasons I totally understand where you're coming from here, Robin. Early on I felt an obligation to contribute more songs than I was capable of playing for some themes, and also an obligation to listen to everybody else's songs too. I just didn't have the time. I had a bit of a panic early on in Randy's alphabet season (if you go back and have a wade through the posts you'll see one I made to that effect) as I saw just how many songs were rolling in. But I was reassured by some of the replies to my post and I learned to completely relax about the whole thing - and I've enjoyed the seasons experience so much more since then. Taking away that pressure of obligation on myself totally freed me up. I fear that the way I judged my recent 'Let There Be Light' season may have contributed to your angst here - I'd always intended to make my judgement on quality, but in the end there were so many good songs submitted that I had to use quantity in conjunction with quality to differentiate between the winners and the runners-up. I'll try not to do that in future.

The beauty of the seasons is, I feel, the freedom that each host has to set the parameters for their week, and how that helps to shape and vary the music that we all love to play for each other. Do your own thing, Robin - try to relax and enjoy it - and don't feel under any obligation to change. You are as important here as any of us. :)

I get that a bit as well Robin. One of my seasons had 20+ each from Trent and Rex and at a certain point I couldn't give meaningful comments on them all but I wouldn't want to stop them. God knows how Randy coped on alphabet week.

At the same time I'll very rarely put up a bit after about Thursday unless I'm really feeling the theme because I know most people aren't going to get to it.

On the other hand I often have a bit of regret when I've used my three songs up by Monday night. There's a healthy balance to be struck I think.

I understand where you are coming from, Robin.

It's not the worry about how many songs I can bring. It will depend on the theme but I rarely manage to bring more than three. I did go a bit mad in Jon's short song week but I also went on a bit of a writing spree which has turned out handy as I can go back to those songs and flesh some of them out to make something more substantial.

The main problem, I find, is finding time to listen to the songs among the other things that I do. I actually go and play out twice a week sometimes more if there's a monthly event on that week and then there is family as well to consider. I used to be able to listen to every entry but I find that just isn't on these days so I try to go through and listen to something on every page. Even that doesn't always work. It is important to try and listen to and comment on at least some of the songs. It's important for general encouragement.

I used to feel obligated to watch and comment on every single video. I can no longer do that. I try and watch at least one for everybody. Sometimes I will comment and sometimes I don't. The one thing I try and do now is make sure for every person that watches and comments on my video, I try and do the same for them if I havent already.

Dare I say it but when someone replies to a video I have made and they say WOW or Amazing
I know they are meaning well, but I then find it hard to give a meaningful reply. When I do give replies
to other folks videos it is rarely ever just one word... what they might get is an oddball off the wall
comment that is a couple of sentences or more. I have had some wonderful flights of the imagination
with Val which feature Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers... completely fictional stuff... and done as a joke.
and I wish when people wrote comments they would be more creative and insightful, or even post
a link to some other bit of music. Often I will listen to someones performance and it will invoke a connection
to another piece of music, and I will share that together with a comment. I would take one quality comment
over one word quantity comments, any day. Having said that to get no comments on a performance is
worst of all, especially if you are new to the seasons since you have to wonder is their anybody listening?

Last edited:
Dare I say it but when someone replies to a video I have made and they say WOW or Amazing
I know they are meaning well, but I then find it hard to give a meaningful reply. When I do give replies
to other folks videos it is rarely ever just one word... what they might get is an oddball off the wall
comment that is a couple of sentences or more. I have had some wonderful flights of the imagination
with Val which feature Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers... completely fictional stuff... and done as a joke.
and I wish when people wrote comments they would be more creative and insightful, or even post
a link to some other bit of music. Often I will listen to someones performance and it will invoke a connection
to another piece of music, and I will share that together with a comment. I would take one quality comment
over one word quantity comments, any day. Having said that to get no comments on a performance is
worst of all, especially if you are new to the seasons since you have to wonder is their anybody listening?

I have to admit I have been guilty of the one-word comments.
Its kinda like a scratch on the public bathroom wall "lindalouden was here".
I want you to know that even if I wasn't clever enough to give you something you can chew on that I did take the time to listen and enjoy your music.
I'd rather do that than not let you know I was there.
Beleive me, if I tell you are Amazing it is sincere!

I always tried to add a comment to any new Seasonista's video, whether I was hosting or not.

I see it as a form of recognition, that they are also a Seasonista.

(I'm just sorry that I can't be around more, just too many other things I've got going on at the moment.)

Top Bottom