Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I try to comment as much as possible, but sometimes It's difficult. When I'm listening through the Playlist, I'm most often reading, sketching, or otherwise occupied and the song's just about over before I think to comment. Still, I listen to every song, every Season, and I comment when I can. Sometimes it's a simple word, sometimes it's as little as a ":)" symbol.

I have noticed that there are a very few people who never, or at least very rarely, comment on others' songs. I take that as a signal that they prefer not to be bothered themselves, and I rarely comment on their entries.

dare i say it but when someone replies to a video i have made and they say wow or amazing
i know they are meaning well, but i then find it hard to give a meaningful reply. When i do give replies
to other folks videos it is rarely ever just one word... What they might get is an oddball off the wall
comment that is a couple of sentences or more. I have had some wonderful flights of the imagination
with val which feature fred astaire and ginger rogers... Completely fictional stuff... And done as a joke.
And i wish when people wrote comments they would be more creative and insightful, or even post
a link to some other bit of music. Often i will listen to someones performance and it will invoke a connection
to another piece of music, and i will share that together with a comment. I would take one quality comment
over one word quantity comments, any day. Having said that to get no comments on a performance is
worst of all, especially if you are new to the seasons since you have to wonder is their anybody listening?

​wow!!!!!!!!!

(This is me NOT being imaginative!)

Last edited:
I try to comment on every video I listen to. I'm not very good on lengthy comments but I do try to add something constructive even if it's just "I enjoyed that". I reckon another way to deal with videos you've listened to but don't have much to say beyond "I liked that" or similar is simply to check the thumbs up symbol. At least that's a marker that you have listened to every one.
The trouble with listening to every one even of you don't comment, at least for me is that the times when I could be listening, I'm sat with my family and the telly is on so it would be impolite to start listening and annoying those watching the TV by having competing noises going on. I do occasionally put headphones on but that seems somewhat anti social to my family so there's a tension there.
I do sometimes envy those whose partners share their musical interests but we can't have it all ways.

I try to comment on every video I listen to. I'm not very good on lengthy comments but I do try to add something constructive even if it's just "I enjoyed that". I reckon another way to deal with videos you've listened to but don't have much to say beyond "I liked that" or similar is simply to check the thumbs up symbol. At least that's a marker that you have listened to every one.
The trouble with listening to every one even of you don't comment, at least for me is that the times when I could be listening, I'm sat with my family and the telly is on so it would be impolite to start listening and annoying those watching the TV by having competing noises going on. I do occasionally put headphones on but that seems somewhat anti social to my family so there's a tension there.
I do sometimes envy those whose partners share their musical interests but we can't have it all ways.

I relate to this a lot and it's a big part of why you don't see me comment much.

Dare I say it but when someone replies to a video I have made and they say WOW or Amazing
I know they are meaning well, but I then find it hard to give a meaningful reply. When I do give replies
to other folks videos it is rarely ever just one word... what they might get is an oddball off the wall
comment that is a couple of sentences or more. I have had some wonderful flights of the imagination
with Val which feature Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers... completely fictional stuff... and done as a joke.
and I wish when people wrote comments they would be more creative and insightful, or even post
a link to some other bit of music. Often I will listen to someones performance and it will invoke a connection
to another piece of music, and I will share that together with a comment. I would take one quality comment
over one word quantity comments, any day. Having said that to get no comments on a performance is
worst of all, especially if you are new to the seasons since you have to wonder is their anybody listening?

Worse than no comments is no views. Although I've never had no views the number of views have decreased quite a lot in recent months.

I fear that the way I judged my recent 'Let There Be Light' season may have contributed to your angst here - I'd always intended to make my judgement on quality, but in the end there were so many good songs submitted that I had to use quantity in conjunction with quality to differentiate between the winners and the runners-up. I'll try not to do that in future.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Like Pa said, you are free to judge based on any criteria you like and I never have any expectation of "winning" anything when I enter.

Ubulele:

While I agree with a lot of what you said in your deleted post I do wonder why you bother continuing to come back here to take pot shots at the community here, or sneering at the latest theme with no intention of taking part yourself. Seems like there are better ways you could spend your time.

Ubulele:

While I agree with a lot of what you said in your deleted post I do wonder why you bother continuing to come back here to take pot shots at the community here, or sneering at the latest theme with no intention of taking part yourself. Seems like there are better ways you could spend your time.

Well said. I regard Seasonistas as friends. Some are very close friends. I like to feel that I - or anyone else - can express opinions and receive helpful feedback. It's very discouraging to have to second-guess every word for fear that someone is going to be sniping. It kind of takes the wind out of my sails. But I guess that's what trolls are after.

So, I’m relatively new here. I really enjoy it. I’m here, primarily, to have fun playing new songs and sharing the experience with like-minded people. If in the process my playing improves, which it has so far, all the better. I don’t want it to be any more serious or heavy than that. There are lots of very talented ukulele players here who have made me feel very welcome - I’m very grateful for that. It works for me.

EDIT: I posted this in response to a second post that ubulele had made that was again very critical of the Seasons. He/she has since deleted this post and another that was made in response to Randy’s post. Confusing!

Last edited:
I didn’t see ubulele’s post so can’t comment. FWIW I love the Seasons, I love the variety of it. I love the inclusivity of it. With each season you look forward to contributions from the old campaigners, and newbies alike. It’s inspiring and it’s made possible by the fantastic bunch of people on here. I’d call it a community even, although, as with any community, there are those who are right in the thick of it and those who are more on the fringes. It’s all good. I try and comment on other’s songs though I know sometimes I apply myself to this better than at other times. It doesn’t bother me if someone comments on my songs or not. For me, the “worst” thing about seasons is that I can’t just pop round for a jam with other Seasonistas owing to the world wide spread of us all :D

I should add, by the same token it’s obviously lovely to get positive comments from other Seasonistas, but if some chooses not to comment on my songs, that’s fine. Re number of songs put up by people, I love that some folk, mentioning no names obviously Trent, Rex and Alan, put up lots of songs. Have never felt intimidated by that, too busy enjoying their input. Only have time to put up one song? Great. Have time to do one a day, or several a day even....Great too :D

Ubulele:

It must have been up and removed pretty quickly but he has a habit of doing that. Putting up a post then removing it. Often the only way you know that he's done it is because there is a reply to a non-existent post. He also has a habit of making sly digs. No one is forcing him to join in the seasons and if he doesn't like what we're doing well, that's his problem but there's no need for the sly digs. I find it very irritating.

Otherwise, I agree with Randy but sly digs like that can put off newcomers who might then prove valuable additions to our community.

It must have been up and removed pretty quickly but he has a habit of doing that. Putting up a post then removing it. Often the only way you know that he's done it is because there is a reply to a non-existent post. He also has a habit of making sly digs. No one is forcing him to join in the seasons and if he doesn't like what we're doing well, that's his problem but there's no need for the sly digs. I find it very irritating.

Otherwise, I agree with Randy but sly digs like that can put off newcomers who might then prove valuable additions to our community.

I saw the post and it was pretty preposterous. It's a shame that he feels it necessary to alienate people the way he does. I do remember he actually DID put up a couple of videos not that long ago and they were really good ... I think I said as much to him; but they were taken down again in short order. As you say, Geoff, no one is forcing him to join in anything and it's a pity he feels the need to comment adversely; especially as he is not taking any part in the proceedings himself. This community is a pretty supportive one - I have certainly found it so - and there is really no place for that sort of attitude.

I have only just caught up with this discussion, and have nothing much to add which hasn't been said by several already, but...

...the idea of Seasonistas everywhere adding
"lindalouden was here"
to lavatory walls all over the world really appeals to me.:cool:

But what I really came here to say was, if anyone wants to collaborate on a song for my 365UkeSongs challenge, please hurry on down to the thread in the main Seasons section.

I have a comment about this week's theme of four seasons. We here in the tropics don't experience seasons the same way you folks in temperate climates do. We don't have 4 seasons here in Myanmar, we have 3. There's the hot season (summer, I suppose) from February to the end of April. Then there's the rainy (monsoon) season from May until October. It dwindles to insignificance with just an occasional shower by late September . November to January is the sweet cool season which rarely gets to the 30C mark.

When I'm bored I go through old video lookiing for what I posted on this day X numbers of years ago...
I found it was 6 years ago today that I posted my first Seasons video.

I have a comment about this week's theme of four seasons. We here in the tropics don't experience seasons the same way you folks in temperate climates do. We don't have 4 seasons here in Myanmar, we have 3. There's the hot season (summer, I suppose) from February to the end of April. Then there's the rainy (monsoon) season from May until October. It dwindles to insignificance with just an occasional shower by late September . November to January is the sweet cool season which rarely gets to the 30C mark.

When I'm bored I go through old video lookiing for what I posted on this day X numbers of years ago...
I found it was 6 years ago today that I posted my first Seasons video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z15iasXWsCA

I said in my intro, I don't want to be rigid. Someone has already posted a song about going direct from Winter to Summer (or the other way round, I can't remember which). The important thing is your song is about changing seasons, not what the exact change is. If you have songs that reflect the changes in the tropics, that's great. Everything is good.

Top Bottom