Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

having been checking out our page(s) on both discord and reddit, i must say i think the reddit layout is the most comfortable and the most similar to here on UU - you can't embed a video but you can post a link that takes you straight to the vid on youtube. you can embed a vid on discord, but the page is currently just one long continuous stream of consciousness, whereas the reddit page already has multiple threads - including one for the current season

the main seasons reddit page is here https://www.reddit.com/r/seasonsoftheukelele/

the discord page is here https://discordapp.com/channels/693553626446168187/693602582874292275

having been checking out our page(s) on both discord and reddit, i must say i think the reddit layout is the most comfortable and the most similar to here on UU - you can't embed a video but you can post a link that takes you straight to the vid on youtube. you can embed a vid on discord, but the page is currently just one long continuous stream of consciousness, whereas the reddit page already has multiple threads - including one for the current season

the main seasons reddit page is here https://www.reddit.com/r/seasonsoftheukelele/

the discord page is here https://discordapp.com/channels/693553626446168187/693602582874292275
Yep - totally agree with Lynda here! :)

Just to see what it could look like I have set up a new server on discord called Play That Ukulele.
It kind of shows what a seasons server could look like and is very usable.
Invite here
https://discord.gg/YrpudrQ
I have set up a couple of channels - one to bring your newly recorded blues songs and one to bring any uke songs recorded during April this year.

Last edited:
AND to change the subject completely (I can't even access Discord!); for those of you who haven't seen it, from a locked-down Britain, this is wonderful, cheering and inspiring ....

This is wonderful Val - thanks so much for sharing! :)

I can't load up the page, though ... it says it has gone to Discord in the top lefthand corner, but the rest of the page is black and it won't progress any further. I suppose it might be my particularly rubbish Internet, which is worse than usual at the moment with increased demand.

Hey there fellow Seasonistas!

Long time no see. How are you all doing with the social distancing and stay-at-home activities?

Since my mother passed on Feb 13, I am taking things day by day, and it is still very difficult as you might imagine. I hope to return to participating in the Seasons at some point, but not sure when just yet.

It is good to see that the Seasons are still going strong, and that there is discussion here about keeping them going even if UU morphs into some other format that is not as easy to use for some of us.

I've used Discord in the past (mostly for my previous day-job in IT), and mainly as a chat room to get tech support in real-time from hardware and software vendors (oddly, this kind of chat gets you in touch with a customer service rep, faster than wating on the phone in a queue for an hour), but am not sure this kind of chat-system paradigm will be effective for the type of asynchronous conversation that many of us are used to and comfortable with here on the UU forum.

I signed up for the reddit group and you may see my posts there. Facebook is no-go for me. This is for privacy concerns.

Whatever happens with the Seasons and it's new home, I hope we can all keep in touch and not lose contact. If you would like to exchange email, please send me a PM and we can do it that way because I'd prefer not to publish my email in the forum because mailbot harvester programs are always watching, and I already get too much spam email as it is.

Please take care of yourselves and your families in this time of chaos and dire health concerns for many of us.

Mahalo,

Booli :music:

Hi Booli, I too have other things pressing me away from the seasons but I do hope finding a new forum will happen. I like Discord. It looks most like the seasons and you can separate different seasons and other things like this Yakkity thread into different organized "sub channels". I do like that the vids embed on Discord. But, I am only one small unimportant voice here. I dont like that Val is unable to use it and if that is the case there needs to be a different venue like Reddit. Im sure the big dogs at UU are diligent in figuring out where we should go. I sure hate to see this place shut down. I hope it remains on the internet for all the valued information that has been posted over the many years it been around. That will be a shame to see that go if it does.

I am truly sorry to hear about your mother. Loosing your mom is the hardest!

Take care!
Linda

sorry about your loss Booli. I know I will be a wreck when the time comes for me to experience that. I certainly was when my father passed on in the early 2000's. Took me about ten years to be able to complete some songs without tearing up that were about father/son relationships. I hope your suffering isn't as prolonged and difficult as mine was.

I think Facebook Groups would definitely be the way to go. I know threre are some people who take issue with their business practices, what have you, but it's still the place where:
a. the good majority of seasonistas are already present, some of use quite a lot. Most of us are quite familiar wiht how it works.
b. One thread could be a season, or better yet, they have a "topic" tag function in groups. Just tag your post Week 424, and all the week 424 posts show up on one click.

c. The world speaks Facebook. Some people have a problem with English as a world language because of it's presence as a hangover of colonialism and imperialism. No one's suggestong we swtich to Urdu of Banti tomorrow.

Hay anyone seen Jon Duncan today?

So today I found out that trying to fish out a black string from the side sound hole of my ebony uke because of its through-body bridge is incredibly frustrating without a torch and a crochet hook.

I think Facebook Groups would definitely be the way to go. I know threre are some people who take issue with their business practices, what have you, but it's still the place where:
a. the good majority of seasonistas are already present, some of use quite a lot. Most of us are quite familiar wiht how it works.
b. One thread could be a season, or better yet, they have a "topic" tag function in groups. Just tag your post Week 424, and all the week 424 posts show up on one click.

c. The world speaks Facebook. Some people have a problem with English as a world language because of it's presence as a hangover of colonialism and imperialism. No one's suggestong we swtich to Urdu of Banti tomorrow.

I am on Facebook, but I like to keep my ukeing separate.
Until recently I went "face less" in my videos, to keep some anonymity. When I sing out of tune in a online ukulele group, I kind of like to not having the audience know my full name, where I work etc.

Top Bottom