Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Most of my music is held on the computer - I copy & paste chord sheets from wherever into some software called ChordSmith, which lets me change the key, and save them as .pro files, with the chords embedded in the lyrics. Currently holding about 600 songs which I have either done or seriously intended doing, plus another 640 which I have grabbed but not got around to doing.

I started using a similar program last year called SongBook. It uses the ChordPro format as well and I love it. I've only got about 140 songs on file there at the moment, and I'd love to have more. Those songs only take up 260kb and so it took a minute to upload here-> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-tOnaJxYPTdzJo4o8mvERyTDIPdA7k2R?usp=sharing

Steve, you're welcome to them. Could you send me some back?

BTW, did you know that at the popular site chordie.com when llooking at the default view of a song there, you can click on "View", then there's another button that says "ChordPro" which I imagine you can guess what you get next.

I started using a similar program last year called SongBook. It uses the ChordPro format as well and I love it.

I'm using this too, it's great. I've got it syncing via Google Drive which makes it easy to edit songs on my laptop too.

I've recently found this handy tool to convert Ultimate Guitar format into chordpro: https://ultimate.ftes.de/

I visited an old video on my YouTube channel today and was shocked when an ad played before the video. I have not monetized my account, and I thought surely there’s some mistake, but, apparently, whoever owns the copyrighted material has a right to place ads, if you cover their songs. Has anyone else noticed this???

I visited an old video on my YouTube channel today and was shocked when an ad played before the video. I have not monetized my account, and I thought surely there’s some mistake, but, apparently, whoever owns the copyrighted material has a right to place ads, if you cover their songs. Has anyone else noticed this???

To the best of my knowledge it hasn’t happened with any of my vids, but I’m hearing from others that it’s happening more and more, Liz. I’m not sure there’s much that can be done about it? :confused:

Yeah, some company has become much more gung-ho about asserting their copyrights, so a lot more of my videos are getting a copyright claim lately. The videos that get a copyright claim will get an ad placement. Hey, it's their song, if they get the one-thousandth of a penny for someone watching my video, they're welcome to it -- don't spend it all in one place.

over the many millions of years now that i've been posting uke vids on youtube for the seasons, i've lost count of how many times they tell me that the copyright owner has the right to put an ad on my vid. i dunno if they always DO, but they can. on occasions the copyright owner has actually muted the volume on my vid, it happened on a madonna cover i did. i was gonna delete the vid but i thought no, i'll leave it, and another time i revisited (i really only go back to old vids when someone comments or asks for chords or whatever) the sound was back up. so just be aware this is another fun option youtube offers :rolleyes:

I get that it's frustrating but it's a free place for people to host pretty much anything they like, as much as they like. Even if YouTube wasn't run by Google who just want to make money they still need to pay for a place to store it and maintain the site, and they've come up with a model that not only pays the content creators who drive a massive amount of traffic to their site but also pays the holders of copyrighted material for it, with zero cost to the actual customer. Its not perfect and the payment model is obviously massively skewed in YouTube's favour but it has allowed some very talented people the opportunity to make a career out of media and entertainment off their own hard work rather than just getting the right opportunity from the right gate keeper in the industry.

And as I said, while all this is happening it's free for the people who just want to watch videos or just want to put up some ukulele videos for their friends. I think that's worth a 30 second ad. I pay far more to watch football and get assaulted with far more ads while doing it.

I have gotten the message about copyrighted materiale perhaps a handful of times. I havent noticed ads actually being put on my videos, but I dont really check.
I'm just happy that they don't shut my channel down :)

Has anyone looked into how the Google analytics count the average view duration? If what they write is based on total views or last 28 days etc.
I would like to know the stats divided on youtube searches vs external/playlist. If everyone who findes my video through searches quit before 10s, and the only thing pulling up the statistics is the rest of you, perhaps I should unlist it all. I realize that a lot of people will click on stuff and change their mind, but it only takes a few who watches it all to change the average to more than 10% or so.

Last edited:
I have gotten the message about copyrighted materiale perhaps a handful of times. I havent noticed ads actually being put on my videos, but I dont really check.

Has anyone looked into how the Google analytics count the average view duration? If what they write is based on total views or last 28 days etc.
I would like to know the stats divided on youtube searches vs external/playlist. If everyone who findes my video through searches quit before 10s, and the only thing pulling up the statistics is the rest of you, perhaps I should unlist it all.

I'm not sure how useful the stats and analytics are for people who aren't making a living from YouTube. I think those pages are increasingly geared towards people who are on YouTube for the money and want huge amounts of views. but those of us that are just there for fun, to share videos with pals and any passing YouTube people, I just don't see that they're much use at all. the positive thing is the comment section, you can have some really nice chats there, but in terms of figures and numbers I just don't think it's useful for people on our scale. it's not like we're gonna change what we do just because we had a few less views or lower view time or a bunch of people unsubscribed because they didn't like our latest space rock power chord song, I just can't see the point of them - the stats I mean, not the space rock power chord songs!

A "copyright claim" only means they might post an ad. There's a few artists who won't let covers of their songs be posted at all. I once posted a Supertramp cover (which YouTube's own listing said was allowed to be covered in the U.S.). I immediately got a copyright "strike" against me, and my entire channel was put into quarantine until I watched a copyright re-education training video. I don't know if it works the same in all countries, but in the U.S. if you go some number of months without another strike the previous one will be deleted. BUT, if you get three strikes YouTube will delete your entire channel and all videos attached to it.

I would like to know the stats divided on youtube searches vs external/playlist. If everyone who findes my video through searches quit before 10s, and the only thing pulling up the statistics is the rest of you, perhaps I should unlist it all. I realize that a lot of people will click on stuff and change their mind, but it only takes a few who watches it all to change the average to more than 10% or so.

Mikkel, in YT studio on my iPad I can see that breakdown in the Reach tab of the Analytics section.

Mikkel, in YT studio on my iPad I can see that breakdown in the Reach tab of the Analytics section.

I can't find the view length stats there on my Android, but I just discovered that I can click on the stats and choose the time period. The first week or two will be people from this forum, the rest random people stumbling upon it.
It seems that some videos strangers will watch to some extend, while others they click and hurry away from.

Of the handful of times I've uploaded a cover that then got recognized by the AI as someone else's intellectual property, I am thrilled. That means I performed so close to the original that a machine noticed it!

I'm here also bring back old Season memories on the dawn of Liz's destinations week.
From 81 -

My entry for Season 479 is Sweet Home Chicago, which for reasons I'll explain later, needed to be performed live in front of an audience. Then I mistekenly pushed record twice and I ended up well... it's not quite as bad as bombing.

I know we have a few Seasonistas who are pretty good at multitracking and multi-videoing, but spare a thought for the poor soul who had to edit this one. I am in there somewhere - if you spot me, please let me know...

Speaking as someone who can barely get his videos to sync up with himself that is some mind blowing work.

This is April 21, 2021 in Port Hope, Ontario.
April 21, 2021 b.jpg April 21, 2021 c.jpg April 21, 2021 d.jpg April 21, 2021 e.jpg
The first three are my yard at about 9:30. Poor daffodil.
The 4th is the town park right after I came out of the dentist's office this morning with my mouth as frozen as the park.

It Paul bunyon & Bandshell.jpg

You may recognise that bandshell if you saw the movie IT, which was filmed in Port Hope. The Paul Bunyon statue only stayed there for a few weeks and there were American flags allover town, even on the town hall.

Last edited:
Thought you might be interested to see this fascinating short vid of Seasonista engravertom at work, engraving here a mandolin tailpiece by hand:

youtube vids have sound and video out of synch for me at the moment, on my android phone (everything is fine on my laptop) ... i think the sound is lagging behind the visuals. it's been a low level frustration for a little while now, but today when i was trying to jot down the chords from an old video of mine, it made the job even harder because the chord i was seeing didn't always match the chord i was hearing!!! anyone else having this problem? any idea how an ignorant technophobe might fix it?

youtube vids have sound and video out of synch for me at the moment, on my android phone (everything is fine on my laptop) ... i think the sound is lagging behind the visuals. it's been a low level frustration for a little while now, but today when i was trying to jot down the chords from an old video of mine, it made the job even harder because the chord i was seeing didn't always match the chord i was hearing!!! anyone else having this problem? any idea how an ignorant technophobe might fix it?

Umm..use your laptop ? Okay I'll get me coat................................................:rofl:

Top Bottom