Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I love Tom Rosenthal ... thanks for posting this, Rob!
I have been watching his Volgs with his children Bess and Fenn and amidst all the clutter of their little lives I find them very heatwarming in their innocence. The series is finished with his children in boxes and a unicorn in the sea. Taking a risk with love gives the biggest gains.

Hey guys, long time no see! Been busy working on my second album which has taken up a lot of my uke time and resulted in me neglecting this place a bit.

But as part of that I managed to wangle a spot on local radio to talk about said album and pick songs for an hour. The host suggested I pick songs that influenced me, presumably meaning artists I love who influence my sound. But I decided to go another way and showcase musicians who helped me on my journey. A few local musicians from open mics but also the good folks of the Seasons, without whom I would never have felt comfortable writing and sharing my own songs. With the blessing of all involved I gave some airtime to a song written by our own Bobby King and then produced and put on an album by Del and Lynda of Yazuke.

You can find a recording of the show here, I start talking about UU about 34 minutes in but the whole show is worth a listen.

(And the album is very nearly finished so hopefully I'll be able to rejoin the fray soon)

I just went into a real live music shop, and they had a Yamaha GL1 guitalele, and I played around with it for a bit then accidentally bought it. Oops. This is either going to be loads of fun, hugely frustrating, or, more likely, both. Place your bets!

I just went into a real live music shop, and they had a Yamaha GL1 guitalele, and I played around with it for a bit then accidentally bought it. Oops. This is either going to be loads of fun, hugely frustrating, or, more likely, both. Place your bets!
Well, despite not really knowing what to do with the two extra strings (but still sort of fumbling around and making an occasionally pleasing noise) I'm having a lot of trouble putting this thing down so far...

Well, despite not really knowing what to do with the two extra strings (but still sort of fumbling around and making an occasionally pleasing noise) I'm having a lot of trouble putting this thing down so far...
I tried a guitalele and simply couldn't cope with the wide neck - but that was, undoubtedly, just me - hope you'll enjoy yours, Edwin!

you need a book of guitar chords as the two extra strings will require fretting.Is the Yammy tuned A to A ? If so a guitar G will be a guilele C, C shape will be an F ,and the guitar D chord will be a G ......confused yet ...I am and I wrote it !! In fact, to get your guileshapes,use guitar shapes BUT count up 6 frets...so G chord gmajor-1-58b973113df78c353cdc3ae2.pngshape played on the ukeleguitar 6 string in exactly the same place becomes C.....so all your guitar chord shapes will play as shown ,(obviously) but just count up 6 semitones (half step US) to get their ukugit name . So C (gitar) shape count:
C (1)Db(2) D (3) Eb (4) E(5) F (6)...all chords will do this or my name isn't CeeJay. I'm going for a lie down now.

Last edited:
Hi all. Elena here. Not been on this forum for a couple of years I'd say, although it and the Seasons were formative in my musical beginnings. I kept having issues logging in and gave up. But sorted now finally I hope, so hopefully I can do a Season or two again soon :)

Also, after starting out on ukulele I began to learn guitar, (with a view to playing cover songs in bars) and then started writing songs on it, so was focused on that among other things,Yay! Then I ruined my main uke by trying to install a pickup and every time I tried to play live it sounded terrible. Boo! So I focused on guitar mostly. Yay (kind of yay)! Then covid hit, everything closed, all my hard work learning dozens of cover songs on guitar was for n'owt : ( boo! But then I did an audio engineering course, and started recording my songs, yay! Then noisy neighbours moved in next door and prevented me recording anything. Boo! But now they have some periods of silence, so I'm back recording my songs. Yay! AND I bought a new, fancy ukulele that sounds good live, so am back to being able to use it for composing and live stage. YAY!

Now suddenly life seems to be - I don't want to jinx it, but dare I say - getting a little back to the way it was BC (before covid). I was awarded a Ukead (my new profile pic) recently by James Hill and thus am part of his experiment to include dozens of ukulele players on his album he's currently recording. I'm playing on a new stage 'The Eblana Cabana' at the Ukulele Hooley in Dún Laoghaire, Dublin in a few days on the 27th - if anyone is in Dublin, Ireland then, do come! Ticketless event, all welcome. The Ukulele Hooley is the longest-running and biggest ukulele festival in Europe! So I'm super happy to be playing there solo for the first time.

I'm working on an album of ukulele songs right now. The plan is to release the album with a songbook with chords and instructional videos on how to play them how I play them. First single from it is just out. It's called 'Mine Oh!' you can listen to it by clicking any of the streaming service links here 🤟:)

Borfus and I will be playing an hour long set of Brian Eno songs for our "Blue August Moon" Driveway concert number 5. August 28 at 7:30pm west coast USA time. If you're in town, come on over... if not, watch it on zoom (zoom meeting 622 972 7495 password is "eno")

eno driveway.jpg

A frustration I have is that I can't memorize uke music. I need song sheets to play for anything. I keep batches of them on music stands both upstairs and downstairs, so I can sit and start playing at any time. I add new ones whenever I find a song I want to learn to play.

This limitation keeps me from taking a uke somewhere for jamming or sitting at a park or passing time in a hotel room. I'm tied to those song sheets. How can I be a more casual player?
GinnyT11- Though the "pat" answer is probably, "it's all about muscle memory", I've found that I can only memorize tunes I've improvised on my own after allowing the sheet music / chords with lyrics tablature to get me started on the progression. The same was true of 5-string banjo. Even then, I find myself occasionally reverting back to the sheet / tablature to refresh my memory.
The best example of this is Billy Joel's "I Love You Just The Way You Are". I approached it in small bites. I tend to start with the verse. When I have that down pat, I work out the chorus and, last of all the bridge, intro and outro. I'm presently working on Skynyrd's "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" (Key of E) which sounds surprisingly good on my DIY high G soprano. I'm pleasantly surprised because I fully expected it to sound like $^#@ due to the plastic frets and lack of bass-note options.
Back to your original point, how anyone memorizes/ improvises long and varied arrangements like "As My Guitar Gently Weeps" is what separates the rest of us mortals from the virtuosos who (by the way) generally have the luxury of allocating MANY HOURS of each day to mastering these skills.

Hi all. Elena here. Not been on this forum for a couple of years I'd say, although it and the Seasons were formative in my musical beginnings. I kept having issues logging in and gave up. But sorted now finally I hope, so hopefully I can do a Season or two again soon :)

Also, after starting out on ukulele I began to learn guitar, (with a view to playing cover songs in bars) and then started writing songs on it, so was focused on that among other things,Yay! Then I ruined my main uke by trying to install a pickup and every time I tried to play live it sounded terrible. Boo! So I focused on guitar mostly. Yay (kind of yay)! Then covid hit, everything closed, all my hard work learning dozens of cover songs on guitar was for n'owt : ( boo! But then I did an audio engineering course, and started recording my songs, yay! Then noisy neighbours moved in next door and prevented me recording anything. Boo! But now they have some periods of silence, so I'm back recording my songs. Yay! AND I bought a new, fancy ukulele that sounds good live, so am back to being able to use it for composing and live stage. YAY!

Now suddenly life seems to be - I don't want to jinx it, but dare I say - getting a little back to the way it was BC (before covid). I was awarded a Ukead (my new profile pic) recently by James Hill and thus am part of his experiment to include dozens of ukulele players on his album he's currently recording. I'm playing on a new stage 'The Eblana Cabana' at the Ukulele Hooley in Dún Laoghaire, Dublin in a few days on the 27th - if anyone is in Dublin, Ireland then, do come! Ticketless event, all welcome. The Ukulele Hooley is the longest-running and biggest ukulele festival in Europe! So I'm super happy to be playing there solo for the first time.

I'm working on an album of ukulele songs right now. The plan is to release the album with a songbook with chords and instructional videos on how to play them how I play them. First single from it is just out. It's called 'Mine Oh!' you can listen to it by clicking any of the streaming service links here 🤟:)
Good to hear from you Elena. Your new single is playing in the background as I type this - sounding good!
Look forward to your Seasons comeback soon🙂

Edwin currently hosts a season about books...
here to share a lovely film from a wonderful channel on YouTube called Green Renaissance...
Just because the gentleman in this film takes care of a bookshop or library, and has a dog called Mojo Manooga.
hope everyone is doing well today. <3

Top Bottom