Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Some Clawhammer Banjo

I just found this rendition of When You And I Were Young Maggie that Al Kirby posted on his Banjo Hangout page.
Al and I recorded it with our friend, the late Zeke Mazurek on our Sittin' In The Kitchen CD. Al plays 3 finger banjo, Zeke plays fiddle and I play cl;awhammer banjo.
https://www.banjohangout.org/song/1153

Here's one that Maggie and I recorded back before the turn of the century. It's a very inferior copy of a cassette tape onto my cell phone.

I started this for Season 607, then remembered that overdubs weren't allowed, so I did it again and posted this one here.
Please Don't Talk About Me - Sam H. Stept & Sidney Clare 1930
Five Foot Two
- Ray Henderson, Sam M. Lewis & Joseph Widow Young 1925
Apologies for the poor balance and other clams and I promise that I wasn't trying to flip you the bird, just stop my uke from falling off my lap.

Last edited:
I picked up the saxophone at Easter, so here's a short unlisted video of where I'm at after 6 months.
I've found it rather hard to go back to playing at least 3 to 4 times a week. In fact today was the first day I took the alto out of its case.

This is the first piece in book 2 of 80 Graded Studies for Saxophone, by John Davies and Paul Harris.

That's impressive, Sabine! Do you play the clarinet?
Thanks, Val. I basically reverted back to my childhood discipline of practising 30 minutes a day until the summer holiday.
I'm thinking of documenting my progress videos on a USB for my mum. I think she'll love it. It's my dad's sax, and it's been in the family for roughly 50 years.

Not clarinet for me, no.
My sister and my uncle do, though.

the book of these wonderful photos with hilarious captions is great, Rob!
They reminded me of ID magazine....which I have not read for decades..
(especially the one of the dog with curlers....)

I keep songs that I'm learning on my music stand and I will play them through at least once a day. When I think I'm getting the song into my head, I turn my back to the music stand and try it without looking at the words. If I forget a line, I'll take a quick look then turn round again. I keep repeating this until I can sing the song through with confidence without looking at the words. At that stage, I'm ready to sing it out. I don't generally sing a song out until I have learnt it and can sing without words in front of me.

Learning a new Song well enough to sing out generally takes quite a long time, often a few months.

I rarely record a song without words in front of me even if I know the song and regularly sing it out. Pressing record has a negative effect on my memory.
That's why I overdub! It means more record buttons lighting up, but I have no choice.

Creaky chair! Buzzing uke! Worcester sauce!
A song by Robert @ukukeguy which he wrote based on or inspired by (?) this song I made up called Worcestershire.

Worcester sauce, from Worcestershire
Until they had it in Singapore
They didn't know what they were missing, that's for sure
Since 1837 when Lea and Perrins
Chose anchovies instead of herrings
The herrings were relieved and somewhat grateful
The anchovies were positively hateful
You don't know what you are missing, that's for sure
It's kinda fishy, sweet and savoury
And good in soups and stews and gravy
But the thing about it that I love most
Is to shake it on my cheese and toast
You try it once, you'll be back for more.

My original entry for @LimousinLil (Val's) SOTU 609, Food Glorious Food, which I deleted after I discovered my blooper, where I sang 1873 instead of 1837, me being a perfectionist an' all that. 😳 The song is all Joo's but my lyrics were inspired by the title of an instrumental, Anxious Anchovies, by Kari Maaren, who some of you may know posts as The Improvyssey on youTube.

"Anxious Anchovies" ... goodness gracious me! It is high time that the indispensable Lea & Perrins had its very own theme tune! Great job, Robert and Joo!

Top Bottom