Page 3 of 150 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Tootler View Post
    I rarely record a song without words in front of me even if I know the song and regularly sing it out. Pressing record has a negative effect on my memory.
    Ha ha, Geoff! Pressing "record" has a negative effect on my memory too, AND on my finger dexterity!
    Thank goodness that we can still put less-than-great vids out there and get some encouragement form Seasonistas to keep working.

Quote Originally Posted by GinnyT11 View Post
    Ha ha, Geoff! Pressing "record" has a negative effect on my memory too, AND on my finger dexterity!
    Thank goodness that we can still put less-than-great vids out there and get some encouragement form Seasonistas to keep working.
    The "Red Light" or "Observed " effect ....it is wierd......it might even be weird ....or at this time of year ...Wyrd....lol.

The "observed" effect. That's why we're such wonderful singers in the shower!
    I should start practicing uke in there too.

BEVOMU does, in the bath...apparently...

Go for it!! Just make sure you use a plastic ukulele!

I'd run out of hot water!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    So does Mr. Yak!

Quote Originally Posted by Debby View Post
    So does Mr. Yak!
    Not Itty Yak ?

Does he...we might have to see about him and his taking out the trash ....lol

Count me among those that when that camera is recording, I have issues with a song I otherwise know well.

As far as memorization goes, I have a couple of methods that work for me. Obviously repetition. Repetition. Repetition. Yes, repetition.

OK - as far as fooling myself, I had an experience while playing with a group. There was not enough room for everyone to have their music stands with the song sheets. So I figured that I would just share, and stood behind a seated lady where I could see her book. Well, she got disoriented, and kept turning pages in the book to find the song, so it was no longer a resource. Guess what? I actually knew the songs. I kept playing. The world did not end. Yet, when I tried to play them from memory, on my own, I still failed. Having the group around definitely helped.

SO

I started a new idea. I practice at sunset. With the lights off. My song sheet is there, my crutch, but as the sun sets it becomes more and more difficult to read it. Eventually you can't see it and guess what? You can still play.

I do think if it's there, I need to look at it or I will get lost. If it's not there, I am anxious I will mess up, so I "need" it.

When I really must absolutely learn a song off-book, I just play it overandoverandoverandover. That works. My wife is not fond of that technique, as the songs that I have memorized are now ones that she is sick of. Oh well!
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Purple Kamoa GC-700, Kala Concert
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    lol!

bath's eye view of my uke

Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    Count me among those that when that camera is recording, I have issues with a song I otherwise know well.
    SO I started a new idea. I practice at sunset. With the lights off. My song sheet is there, my crutch, but as the sun sets it becomes more and more difficult to read it. Eventually you can't see it and guess what? You can still play.
    Innovative thinking here, Pueo!
    I can get that "sunset" kind of difficulty by taking my glasses off, so I'm good for practicing all day.

Thread Information