Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Linda's post reminded me of another thing that has immensely helped me with the memorizing of words, and that is, making sure I understand the story of the song really, really well. That makes it easier to remember the words that tell the story, and the order of the lines, and what comes next.

If I don't fully understand the story from reading the lyrics, I google it ... there are many explanations online for most well-known songs ... or I make stuff up (add my own details) that helps me remember the trickier transitions.

Listening to the phrasing of a song and then learning what words I change chords on helps me memorize songs.

AND bonus points if the word you change chords on begins with that chord! (e.g. change to a G chord on the word "gate")
Of course that doesn't work very often. But it's essential to know what word you're singing when you're changing chords.

Linda's post reminded me of another thing that has immensely helped me with the memorizing of words, and that is, making sure I understand the story of the song really, really well. That makes it easier to remember the words that tell the story, and the order of the lines, and what comes next.

If I don't fully understand the story from reading the lyrics, I google it ... there are many explanations online for most well-known songs ... or I make stuff up (add my own details) that helps me remember the trickier transitions.

I find story songs easier to learn than lyrical songs. Knowing the story thoroughly helps you to remember what comes next.

I do have a folder of solid faves that challenge me that I take when traveling with a suitcase.
I appreciate all your thoughts on this.

I am glad that we can play for the Seasons with a songsheet next to the camera.

Lol, sometimes I have a hard time memorizing songs that I wrote myself! I find it easier to memorize songs that follow a sort of linear story-line, so the lyrics progress logically in the way a story does. But I would recommend picking out just a few songs to practice until you get them memorized, and then once you get them memorized, you have to keep playing them occasionally so you don't forget them. How occasionally? That depends...

Once you get three or four or five songs memorized, then pick out another one to add to your repertoire. It might also help to pick out fairly short songs so you don't have remember too much at once. I found "Five Foot Two" very easy to memorize. People often want me to play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World." I memorized the second part easily but I still have trouble remembering the first part because it's just a series of observations that don't really have a narrative flow, and some lines are repeated and I can't always remember which ones are repeated.

I usually have to memorize only the lyrics, because I can hear the chord changes coming ahead of time and I just kind of play through them. So unfortunately I don't have any helpful hints for remembering chord changes.

Sometimes I wish I had a teleprompter so I could look as if I'm looking right into the camera instead of somewhere else at a lyric sheet.

That advice about keep going when performing - that is gold.
I was performing for a large family gathering and I had stagefright real bad. I made some errors and thought I had really messed it up BAD. I kept going though. Someone took a video of it and it was not that noticeable, it was much worse in my head. That helped.
Ralf's advice about singing without playing is another thing I do. I have a long commute, and I will often spend the commute singing the lyrics over and over for songs I am trying to learn.

I do that, too. It takes me about 45 minutes to drive home from work.

Very true. That's what I was told. There's a couple of folk at folk clubs I go to, songwriters, who will say say something like; "Here's my new song, if I can get it right". My response to that is usually along the lines of; "It's your song, we won't know if you've done it right or wrong and we'll enjoy it anyway."

What a wonderful sentiment. If I awaited perfection before posting, I wouldn't have done anything here.

Interesting thing about the memorization of a song...

Some folks have no problems, others, well...

A duo I see whenever they are in the area, Lou and Peter Berryman, keep a book with their music on a stand when they play. I take my cue from them.

Then I saw a video of a Billy Joel concert... He has monitors on the stage with the lyrics, so he (and whoever is playing along with him) can refer to them.

Then I thought back to seeing photos of Operas, with the prompter in the box at the foot of the stage - the concept has been going on for a while, it seems!

When I play Open Mic nights, I bring a music stand and my lead sheets, and a lot of other people end up borrowing the music stand.

-Kurt

perfection is not the goal of the Seasons, participation is!
For sure---I've never posted a "perfect" video to a Season.

Sometimes perfect participation is the goal of a few .... :biglaugh:
I haven't missed a Season yet. I still wouldn't describe my participation as "perfect", though. Maybe "constant"? ;)

Then I saw a video of a Billy Joel concert... He has monitors on the stage with the lyrics, so he (and whoever is playing along with him) can refer to them.
A lot of acts have tele-prompters down by the monitors these days. The best is Bruce Springsteen. If you have seen him recently you will know that he grabs signs from the audience with suggestions for obscure songs or cover versions on them, and then does them a few minutes later. Just long enough for a roadie to look up the words & chords on the web and get them onto the screens for him...If it's good enough for Bruce, I don't mind having a sheet in front of me.

I agree with the cheat sheet. If we couldn't use them I have a hunch the seasons would have died out a long long time ago. I used to print out everything. Now Ive figured out how to read it right off my computer. I have two sets of glasses. One pair is vision of about 4 feet away which means I can't see my Uke clearly. Thats my excuse for my simple playing ;-)

A frustration I have is that I can't memorize uke music. I need song sheets to play for anything. I keep batches of them on music stands both upstairs and downstairs, so I can sit and start playing at any time. I add new ones whenever I find a song I want to learn to play.

This limitation keeps me from taking a uke somewhere for jamming or sitting at a park or passing time in a hotel room. I'm tied to those song sheets. How can I be a more casual player?

Hi Ginny, and everyone!

What a great idea for a thread! Glad to be here - Ginny thanks for thinking of making this thread. :)

To your question above...

When I want to learn a song I simply listen to it with uke in hand, over and over and over, and get completely immersed in the song, and along the way, try to figure out the scale, and thus the key, by ear.

Then with listening and playing, get a feel for the root note, 5th and the overall chord progression. As part of the study of the music I will then improvise along with the recording, really getting lost in the song, sometimes I end up in the relative minor key/scale of the actual song.

After that time spent above, and ONLY after, I will then look at the sheet music or chords, which typically come pretty easy since I've already become intimate with the melody and structure from hearing it. I am not yet able to pick out all the chords by ear, so for that I do need some kind of reference.

For me, music is as much listening as it is playing, and I've always felt stifled by 'classical' sheet music and much prefer the Fake-book type of reference, which allows you to interpret the 'song' for yourself. 'The Daily Ukulele' books are similar to the fake-books, but with more structure and I find them a great reference too. (link in my signature below)

Study in this way allows me to make connections in my mind between different songs, and even different genres of music without needing the music sheet to play them. At this point though, I've learned and forgot so much music as it all kind of blends together, so I will still occasionally look at the music sheet to refresh something I had learned previously, but since it's been implanted so deeply without a visual and instead an auditory reference, I only need the music sheet at the beginning, and can look at it if I forget how a section goes or otherwise need to refresh my memory.

Nowadays, I can play for a little more than an hour of songs all from memory, without needing any sheet music.

Some may say the initial 'figuring out by listening' is a waste of time, but I beg to differ, since for me, that is the true joy of discovering the music, since music is experienced by both the player and listener by HEARING it. I truly enjoy this method, and for me there's never time wasted, but occasionally it can be frustrating if the song is in an unfamiliar key or has modal changes, like from harmonic minor to melodic minor, or from a pentatonic scale to a lydian scale...

When I was a wee lad, and had piano lessons for 3yrs, my teacher spent lots of time on ear training and teaching me how to recognize intervals and to hear the difference between major, minor and seventh chords, as well as to try and learn to recognize different keys by ear. That was over 35 yrs ago, but I have always tried to keep the study going on my own since then.

It is too easy for many folks to forget to LISTEN, but as a player, as a musician, I find that listening is a skill that is as important, if not more important than one's playing proficiency or technique, especially if you play with other musicians.

Ginny, maybe you can adapt some of these methods to help you memorize the music and to internalize it so you do not need the music sheet as much?

Hope this helps :)

Booli, thanks for explaining your very intentional process for learning a song. I know it depends on the song, but in general, how many hours or days are you in this development? The point is to get it laid down permanently, so spending this time is definitely worth it.

It seems that you are primarily an audial learner. I'm a visual learner, with kinesthetic second, and my audial operating system a distant third—with my music application attached via an external processor (it's not embedded).

Since a lot of the songs Craig and/or I do are older, there are many recordings to listen to as the first step.

For sure---I've never posted a "perfect" video to a Season.

I haven't missed a Season yet. I still wouldn't describe my participation as "perfect", though. Maybe "constant"? ;)

Your attendance has been 100 % and your performances constantly a delight ....It's damned close to poifect.....

Cheers

Last edited:

Oh, swear not by th'inconstant moon! Swear by ever-constant Ralf of Portland, Mathematician to Communitas.
He WILL have a song for every Season!

Last edited:
I don't memorize anything, auto scroll is my friend ........I'm as blind as a bat too hence why my vids are so close up and I sometimes make up my own words !! :)

Ginny -

I thought this was true, but just tested it again. No matter what, when the camera is rolling, flop sweat appears. I did the same song twice with no camera, and cool as a cucumber. Turn it on, and waterworks.

Wonder what would happen if I played live? I have ton probably thousands of presentations, and I have some of the same symptoms, but I doubt if anyone ever notices.

Ginny -

I thought this was true, but just tested it again. No matter what, when the camera is rolling, flop sweat appears. I did the same song twice with no camera, and cool as a cucumber. Turn it on, and waterworks.

Wonder what would happen if I played live? I have ton probably thousands of presentations, and I have some of the same symptoms, but I doubt if anyone ever notices.

Playing live and recording create different stresses.

With playing live, you know you only have one chance to get it right each time and that if you make a mistake, you just have to keep going. It's hard at first but after a while, you do get used to it.

With recording I feel there is a pressure to get it right and that if anyone listens to a recording a few times they will start to become aware of your mistakes so you feel the pressure to get it right. At the same time, you know that if you mess up, you can have another try. After a bit, though you learn which mistakes to worry about and which you feel you can get away with.

In both cases make sure you have the rhythm right and don't worry too much about wrong notes or words.

I've been told by more than one person that whatever you do keep the rhythm and don't worry about wrong notes. If the rhythm or your timing goes wrong, it will become obvious sooner or later (usually sooner :mad:) but wrong notes are quickly passed and forgotten (unless you mess up completely but then the timing has usually gone to pot as well.)

I've been told by more than one person that whatever you do keep the rhythm and don't worry about wrong notes. If the rhythm or your timing goes wrong, it will become obvious sooner or later (usually sooner ) but wrong notes are quickly passed and forgotten (unless you mess up completely but then the timing has usually gone to pot as well.)
This reminds me of a conversation I had with Phil Doleman last year and we were talking about when you're in the middle of a song and you just have a blank moment where your concentration just goes and he was saying that he remains on the last chord and does some fancy strumming with it until he re-composes himself.
It seems the less attention you give to a mistake the less obvious it is to the listener.

Last edited:
Top Bottom