Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I usually just use my cellphone camera. It's a really cheap phone too. I upload the video to you-tube directly from the phone. Usually I then go on to the PC, and in the browser in you-tube I edit the attributes of the uploaded video to allow comments (unless I don't want comments of course!).

The trick some kind seasonista mentioned to me when i first started is to keep the microphone (or cellphone in this case) as close to you as you reasonably can. I also make sure I play and sing reasonably loud too, which helps the the recording to sound ok even on the cheap cellphone.

I find it helps to put the phone on to a tripod. I use one of those tiny table-top tripods, and a selfie-stick head provides the mount for the phone which screws on to the tripod.

There are many ways to get a recording of yourself, I started by using my camera, transferred the video to my computer to upload to Youtube.

Many people use their phones, some use tablet computers, others use laptops. Presently I use my laptop with a USB microphone.

To start making Seasons videos, just use what you have, if too quiet, it can often be boosted with a music recording program such as Audacity, which can be downloaded for free. http://www.audacityteam.org/

Mobile phone cameras and mics are pretty good these days. Often better than the built in webcams and mics on a PC. If you have an iPad or Android tablet, you can use the built in mic and camera on those. There are often Apps that come with the device or you can find apps from the App stores which will let you do limited editing (cutting out you walking to and from the camera, for example) and enable you to upload to You Tube. You will need to set up a You Tube account but that's free and if you already have a Google account, you can do it through that.

If you use a phone or tablet, make sure you film in landscape orientation, the result looks much better. If you film in portrait you get a narrow window type view when it's played back.

Nothing to do with recording yourself for seasons discussion above, but this popped up on my suggested viewing on youtube and I thought the 'special sound' was a bit bonkers...There is a nice Oriental vibe from this particular trick and it sounds very nice around 1.05 mins with all four strings in use...but I suspect it might pull the strings out of tune. Be nice for an intro or end. Anyone seen/done this before??

Mobile phone cameras and mics are pretty good these days. Often better than the built in webcams and mics on a PC. If you have an iPad or Android tablet, you can use the built in mic and camera on those. There are often Apps that come with the device or you can find apps from the App stores which will let you do limited editing (cutting out you walking to and from the camera, for example) and enable you to upload to You Tube. You will need to set up a You Tube account but that's free and if you already have a Google account, you can do it through that.

If you use a phone or tablet, make sure you film in landscape orientation, the result looks much better. If you film in portrait you get a narrow window type view when it's played back.

I think a phone would be the easiest way to do it. Just record with the in-built software, and it should give you an option to upload directly to YouTube once you've created an account. Good luck!

I think a phone would be the easiest way to do it. Just record with the in-built software, and it should give you an option to upload directly to YouTube once you've created an account. Good luck!

I'll have to play around with my iPhone and see what comes of that. My daughters are a bit more tech savvy than I am and could probably help me with the YouTube part if I had any problems. Can you have a YouTube account, post to the Seasons but not have your videos viewable by the rest of the world? Maybe when I make a video I'll be so horrified at watching and hearing myself that pass on the whole ordeal! :D

Last edited:
I'll have to play around with my iPhone and see what comes of that. My daughters are a bit more tech savvy than I am and could probably help me with the YouTube part if I had any problems. Can you have a YouTube account, post to the Seasons but not have your videos viewable by the rest of the world? Maybe when I make a video I'll be so horrified at watching and hearing myself that pass on the whole ordeal! :D

That's exactly what I've been doing for a while. When you upload it, you have the option of setting viewing privileges to "public," "unlisted," or "private." The one you are looking for is "unlisted." That way people with the link to the video can see it (i.e. people on the seasons) but nobody else can. You can also change the settings later.

Lots of good advice here already from other folks...just my 2-cents without repeating what has been said before...

You said you have an iPhone already, and unless you have a 2012-or-newer Macbook, the camera in your iPhone is going to be MUCH BETTER video and audio quality than anything built-in to a WIndows laptop, or an older Apple laptop.

You can use the built-in camera app to get started, and then directly from the Photo Library on your phone you can upload to YouTube, either from the Photos app itself OR the YouTube app.

ALSO - There are TWO different YouTube official apps put out by Google,, one is just called 'YouTube' that is primarily for WATCHING videos, but then the YouTube CAPTURE app, will let you record directly, and then UPLOAD to your YouTube CHANNEL.

And yes, to UPLOAD videos to YouTube, you HAVE TO create a YouTube account, there is no other way.

ALSO - UU only lets you EMBED videos from Vimeo and YouTube, but nobody here really uses Vimeo for the Seasons.

Later on you can get involved with other equipment or other software, but none of that is required to make a standard video of yourself just playing/singing with your uke.

All you need to start is a phone that has a built-in camera that can do video.

K.I.S.S. principle.

We can help at any time if you have more questions, or just ask the kiddies, as the 12-yr-olds have a lock on how to use all the new tech these days...

Last edited:
We can help at any time if you have more questions, or just ask the kiddies, as the 12-yr-olds have a lock on how to use all the new tech these days...

Isn't that the truth about kids knowing new tech! My daughters aren't really kids anymore but when I ask them a question about how to do something it's often followed by a groan and/or eye roll and a pitying look! Thanks for the input! :cool::shaka:

Isn't that the truth about kids knowing new tech! My daughters aren't really kids anymore but when I ask them a question about how to do something it's often followed by a groan and/or eye roll and a pitying look! Thanks for the input! :cool::shaka:

Yeah,but ask them to operate a cassette machine or VCR and watch the look of hopeless terror slide across their face...lol.
As for a rekkid player !!

Nothing to do with recording yourself for seasons discussion above, but this popped up on my suggested viewing on youtube and I thought the 'special sound' was a bit bonkers...There is a nice Oriental vibe from this particular trick and it sounds very nice around 1.05 mins with all four strings in use...but I suspect it might pull the strings out of tune. Be nice for an intro or end. Anyone seen/done this before??

I've done this before but only messing around. Never thought of actually using the sound for a track. Has an oriental flair huh? thanks for sharing :)

Sounds like bashing tin cans with a spoon...... ;)

yes but maybe someday for that elusive but of something extra we might WANT oriental spoon bashing effect. Bonesigh I can't believe you messed with this...the thought had never occurred!!! :D I obviously haven't explored the full capabilities of my ukulele fully...!

You can use the built-in camera app to get started, and then directly from the Photo Library on your phone you can upload to YouTube, either from the Photos app itself OR the YouTube app.

ALSO - There are TWO different YouTube official apps put out by Google,, one is just called 'YouTube' that is primarily for WATCHING videos, but then the YouTube CAPTURE app, will let you record directly, and then UPLOAD to your YouTube CHANNEL.

When I asked about recording with my iPad, I was recommended a free app called MoviePro which I downloaded. I've only used it a couple of times but I've found it pretty intuitive. It has basic editing facilities and you can upload directly to YT. Just an alternative. It often pays to try two or three apps to see which works best for you.

There is a third You Tube official app called You Tube Studio. I have it on my iPad and Android phone. It's for managing you You Tube channel and I mostly use it to respond to comments but you can use it edit your videos and playlists as well.

When I asked about recording with my iPad, I was recommended a free app called MoviePro which I downloaded. I've only used it a couple of times but I've found it pretty intuitive. It has basic editing facilities and you can upload directly to YT. Just an alternative. It often pays to try two or three apps to see which works best for you.

There is a third You Tube official app called You Tube Studio. I have it on my iPad and Android phone. It's for managing you You Tube channel and I mostly use it to respond to comments but you can use it edit your videos and playlists as well.

Yes, thanks for mentioning those Geoff.

I have used both of those as well, and in fact almost ALWAYS use MoviePro because it has audio meters on screen so I do not need to wear headphones while recording to monitor if I am clipping. I omitted those options from my suggestions so as to keep things simple and not overwhelm a newbie to recording and uploading, so as to lower the barrier to entry as much as possible.

Trying to create OR find, the path of least resistance is a pursuit of mine in all aspects of life.

Last edited:
For Mikelz777, and any one else with trepidation...and just to prove that all kinds of fancy bells and whistles are not necessary for a good video...

Here is a perfectly good example of a 'no frills' video, that is simply done, and stands on it's own merit.

This is Grace VanderWaal, who was recently on TV on 'America's Got Talent' and wowed the judges with her performance...(albeit of a different song) and now another song she wrote herself, and at such a young age, a prodigy here? maybe :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gng2dYwiBdU

Thanks to Randy for the Aquila Reds... I just restrung my uke, and they sound great.
Thanks to Liz for the Amazon voucher... I bought a book called Seveneves (yes it's a palindrome) and I just finished reading it. It was really good.
Thanks to John for the T-shirt... I love it, but it's not quite T-shirt weather yet. I'll wear it in a video for the seasons as soon as I'm sure I'm not going to freeze.

I see the bullying continues.... almost every video of Lynda's still getting a thumbs-down, eventually.

It makes me very angry. Nothing more than victimisation. Someone on here is an A-class bully.

And I will not participate further in the Seasons until it stops. Bye.........

.... almost every video of Lynda's still getting a thumbs-down, eventually.
It makes me very angry. ... Someone on here is an A-class bully.
And I will not participate further in the Seasons until it stops. Bye.........

I'm very sorry to hear that - but is it someone on here!

Most YT videos are public, & there are some people out in the world who are very unkind, & take pleasure in this kind of petty action - but that is how I see it - Just some idiot that has nothing better to do than try to antagonise others.

Hope you don't leave the forum over this. :)

Top Bottom