Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Here's my mix-CD playlist for 2016. This is what it sounded like inside my head this year.

Maybird - Turning Into Water
Yeasayer - I Am Chemistry
Lucius - Madness
The Jayhawks - Quiet Corners & Empty Spaces
The Wind and the Wave - Grand Canyon
AHNONI - 4 Degrees
Aesop Rock - Blood Sandwich
M83 - Go!
Charles Bradley - Change for the World
Wild Belle - Dreamland
Drive-By Truckers - Surrender Under Protest
Imarhan - Tahabort
Joseph - White Flag
The Strokes - Oblivius
Sleigh Bells - I Can Only Stare
Death by Unga Bunga - Best Friends
Speedy Ortiz - Death Note
Quilt - Eliot St.
PJ Harvey - The Wheel

2016 Playlist

The album by The Wind and The Wave is very good. Over the weekend, I found this live video of "The Redhead in Aberdeen" with a much simpler arrangement than the album version, and I can't stop playing it.

Hey, guys! I'm new here & inadvertently posted a previously recorded video in this week's Season. (whooopsies!) Fortunately, the gracious host let me slide 'cuz I didn't know any better. But, I've been searching all over the forum for a "Season's guide/ rule book," and I'm coming up empty. Can anyone point me in the right direction - or just provide a quick "how-to" so that I don't make another snafu?

Thanks a ton, guys - especially for the warm welcome I've found here! :)

Hey, guys! I'm new here & inadvertently posted a previously recorded video in this week's Season. (whooopsies!) Fortunately, the gracious host let me slide 'cuz I didn't know any better. But, I've been searching all over the forum for a "Season's guide/ rule book," and I'm coming up empty. Can anyone point me in the right direction - or just provide a quick "how-to" so that I don't make another snafu?

Thanks a ton, guys - especially for the warm welcome I've found here! :)

The trouble with a definitive guide is that the rules vary from week to week. Turtledrum said that no old videos were allowed in her introductory post, but some hosts do allow them (a season by Ohmless a few months back comes to mind). I think your best bet is to read the introductory post for the season in question and ask if you aren't sure about anything. We've all made mistakes in the past (or at least I have) so don't sweat it.

The trouble with a definitive guide is that the rules vary from week to week. Turtledrum said that no old videos were allowed in her introductory post, but some hosts do allow them (a season by Ohmless a few months back comes to mind). I think your best bet is to read the introductory post for the season in question and ask if you aren't sure about anything. We've all made mistakes in the past (or at least I have) so don't sweat it.

Ah... That makes sense! So, it's a week-to-week kind of thing, based on the wishes of the host. Got it! I'll be sure to fall in line next time. ;)

Welcome to the Seasons, Silly Me. They've been going on with volunteer hosts for 255 uninterrupted weeks.

If you look at the top of the Seasons of the Ukulele subsection Under Contests), you'll see several stickied posts that talk about the way this is done, and the lists of hosts and themes. Also check out the Seasonista Anthem, a collaborative work of 50+ Seasonistas from across the world.

If you go to the Sign Up for Future Seasons III thread in the stickies, http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?119413-Sign-up-for-future-Seasons-III and scroll down, you'll find a general set of guidelines. These give the basics but each week's host is permitted to make their own rules so you then need to check the opening post of the current week for the particular rules for the week.

It is normally the case that you're asked to make a new recording for that week but hosts do vary the rules.

Silly Me, please don't worry one bit about this. I joined the Seasons in Season 190 and I am still learning about how things happen. As the weeks go by, you, too, may find yourself with different questions. Not ever to worry!

Most important about all the weeks is the sharing of a love for the ukulele and music. This never varies, no matter who is hosting or what the guidelines are. You're in good company here and I'm thrilled that you decided to use the vid you previously made as an entry to participation in the Seasons. It enabled you to get to meet us and see the great music that arises from our gathering weekly here. And your vid is very very much a part of Season 255's great music! Thank you! Linda

Silly Me, please don't worry one bit about this. I joined the Seasons in Season 190 and I am still learning about how things happen. As the weeks go by, you, too, may find yourself with different questions. Not ever to worry!

Most important about all the weeks is the sharing of a love for the ukulele and music. This never varies, no matter who is hosting or what the guidelines are. You're in good company here and I'm thrilled that you decided to use the vid you previously made as an entry to participation in the Seasons. It enabled you to get to meet us and see the great music that arises from our gathering weekly here. And your vid is very very much a part of Season 255's great music! Thank you! Linda

Awwww, thanks, Linda! You're so sweet.... And, I will indeed join you guys on Seasons to come. What a great, supportive group! And, such talent, too. :)

Welcome aboard Silly_Me. All the above advice is correct so there is no need to repeat anything. You are most welcome here in the weekly seasons challenge and we love having you.

I there a first name we can use?

I am out of commission because of this nasty blood blister! I don't know what to do without playing my ukes! That's like taking away my therapy.
View attachment 96686

RN rearing her ugly head here - please do not exceed 20 minutes with cold/ice- you risk permanently damaging tissue! You can try cutting a piece of a band aid specifically for blistershttps://www.amazon.com/Band-Aid-Adhesive-Bandages-Advanced-Cushions/dp/B000Y8W50G/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1483569536&sr=8-1&keywords=blister%2Bbandages&th=1
Or you could cover it with superglue!!! Neither will last long but it could give you a little bit of play time! Good luck!

Welcome aboard Silly_Me. All the above advice is correct so there is no need to repeat anything. You are most welcome here in the weekly seasons challenge and we love having you.

I there a first name we can use?

Yes, ma'am. It's Olivia ;) And, thanks for the warm welcome!

RN rearing her ugly head here - please do not exceed 20 minutes with cold/ice- you risk permanently damaging tissue! You can try cutting a piece of a band aid specifically for blistershttps://www.amazon.com/Band-Aid-Adh...3569536&sr=8-1&keywords=blister+bandages&th=1
Or you could cover it with superglue!!! Neither will last long but it could give you a little bit of play time! Good luck!

Good to know about the 20 min limit for the ice. For me it always seems to be melted by then any way.

Thanks so much for the info. :) and the link to the round BAND-AIDS...

Growing up I thought we were such a backwater with no decent touring acts playing here at all. Now, I just can't keep up. I just missed Nick Cave, which is a shame, but I'll be seeing The Cat Empire, Xavier Rudd, and Amanda Palmer in the next few months. It's getting a little bit crazy!

I had a thought today, yes a real one!

Choirguy is a teacher in Minnesota that teaches Choir and uses Ukuleles in his classes. I suggested he have his classes enter a SOTU week once a month or so as a way to teaching them to just play and sing. I realize that they may not be able to keep up with the theme each week, Heck I can't even do it yet. Given the range of ability in the Seasons I can't see any reason that they would be embarrassed to share their playing/singing. God knows that I can't play or sing very well but trying to keep up with the seasons has helped me a lot over the months since I started to post. I must say that you folks have helped me gain a lot of confidence by your feedback.

I think it's a good idea to help Choirguy, and his kids. So what do you guys think? Maybe we should havea special monthly Season like the island for this kind of thing? I think that if they were on the SOTU they would get more positive feedback to boost thier confidence though.

Choirguy is a teacher in Minnesota that teaches Choir and uses Ukuleles in his classes. I suggested he have his classes enter a SOTU week once a month or so as a way to teaching them to just play and sing. I realize that they may not be able to keep up with the theme each week, Heck I can't even do it yet. Given the range of ability in the Seasons I can't see any reason that they would be embarrassed to share their playing/singing. God knows that I can't play or sing very well but trying to keep up with the seasons has helped me a lot over the months since I started to post. I must say that you folks have helped me gain a lot of confidence by your feedback.

I think it's a good idea to help Choirguy, and his kids. So what do you guys think? Maybe we should havea special monthly Season like the island for this kind of thing? I think that if they were on the SOTU they would get more positive feedback to boost thier confidence though.

I like this idea very much and will assist in any possible way to the very best of my available time and ability.

Just let me know. :)

Just an FYI, my kids were saying that subscriptions were being deleted from peoples youtube accounts. Sure enough, I've had to resubscribe to some of you I know I was previously subscribed to! BEWARE!:confused:

FABULOUS idea!

Just an FYI, my kids were saying that subscriptions were being deleted from peoples youtube accounts. Sure enough, I've had to resubscribe to some of you I know I was previously subscribed to! BEWARE!:confused:

Probably not any malicious intent. Most likely it's just youtube screwing things up again.

Probably not any malicious intent. Most likely it's just youtube screwing things up again.
I agree. With the billions of folks using google services all over the world, which includes YT, I am surprised that they run as long as they do without visible issues.

Some google data centers might qualify for their own zip code because they are so large. One tiny missing character in a single line of code can ripple out and have a wide-spread, if not global effect. Most of the time they catch it and fix it before too many folks notice, and other times, it could take longer, and appear as the glitches we've seen here on UU with our own YT stuff. I'm not sure exactly of the depth or process of their auditing procedures...so really cant speculate.

Nothing we can really do other than file a 'bug report' with google, unless we just 'grin and bear it' and hope for the best...

Auni, thanks for sharing what you've seen of the issue. :)

Wow, I'm behind again on the seasons but this time it was due to a beautiful solid Rosewood and Cedar Uke. I got a new Ohana and wanted to play it for you all but I didn't like the strings that were on it and changed them, Wrong!

The Cedar top made every thing boom! After three tries today it finally got happy and even though it's C6 high G I'm going to try it. Hopefully I can harmonize with it.

Top Bottom