Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I'll be away next two weeks and unfortunately can't participate in Val's first Season and Robin's second Season. But I'm looking forward to hearing your songs when I'll catch up later.

My mother recently had to move from assisted living into a nursing home, so I was helping my sister pack things up at the assisted living apartment. The tchotchkes included souvenirs from many European vacations, and there isn't room for everything in the nursing home room. As a result, should I ever have to play "Don't Fear the Reaper" for a Season, I am prepared with MORE COWBELL!

IMG_4780.jpg

I'll be away next two weeks and unfortunately can't participate in Val's first Season and Robin's second Season. But I'm looking forward to hearing your songs when I'll catch up later.

Oh, Ylle ... so sorry to hear that! (But, presumably, you are going on holiday, which can only be good.) Assuming that's what you're doing, have a lovely time; if it's work related, then ignore the above!

Seasonistas advice please. Some of you are doing more than one video track on your videos, kind of overlaying an extra music track on top of your main video. Just been watching Pa's lovely 8 string/harmonica vid for Val's season. Is there any special secret to this? My set up, such as it is, is an iPad, and I have iMovie and Garage Band on it. That's it :anyone:

That there Garage band, is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), record one track then record the second, third , fourth, mix it in, save it to a file, put it with some pictures or a video in your iMovie, save it, & post it online. :)

That there Garage band, is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), record one track then record the second, third , fourth, mix it in, save it to a file, put it with some pictures or a video in your iMovie, save it, & post it online. :)
Thanks Uke1950. I have used GB to multitrack, but that's just music, nothing I've posted on YouTube. I did record a single track song on GB, then match it with some visuals for TCK's recent season, the Dogs one, but what I'd like to do is record a video, then maybe overlay another instrument, or a vocal harmony that syncs perfectly with the video I've just recorded, if that makes sense. Even have two or more synced vids showing together. Just wondering if my set up allows me to do that.....

Some have what they call 'click tracks', these help keep things in sync, else use a metronome for your timing.
Some people use headphones whilst they overdub, but I think it's a bit risky, unless it is to separate tracks.
A bit of trial & error goes a long way. ;)

Seasonistas advice please. Some of you are doing more than one video track on your videos, kind of overlaying an extra music track on top of your main video. Just been watching Pa's lovely 8 string/harmonica vid for Val's season. Is there any special secret to this? My set up, such as it is, is an iPad, and I have iMovie and Garage Band on it. That's it :anyone:

On my old Mac I can just drag the video from iMovie straight onto a Garage Band window.
That gives me an audio and video track - I usually delete the video track as I rarely try and sync a video of me playing extra tracks.
For some reason I can't trim the original file in iMovie as it just imports all the bits i had deleted so I do the final trimming later in iMovie.
I use headphones to record the extra tracks so the original does not bleed into the extra tracks.
Again for some reason I then have to save the file and send it to iTunes and THEN drag the iTune track onto my desktop before I can drag it back (from the desktop) under the original vid.
I usually remove the audio from the original track or at least turn it down. I then do the trimming in iMovie.
Newer versions of iMovie and GB and Macs probably behave better and a little sound quality is lost in some of these steps.

I believe you can record video straight into GB but I've never tried that.

Good luck!

Thanks Uke1950. I have used GB to multitrack, but that's just music, nothing I've posted on YouTube. I did record a single track song on GB, then match it with some visuals for TCK's recent season, the Dogs one, but what I'd like to do is record a video, then maybe overlay another instrument, or a vocal harmony that syncs perfectly with the video I've just recorded, if that makes sense. Even have two or more synced vids showing together. Just wondering if my set up allows me to do that.....

I thought you could do everything with Garage Band, but I haven't used it. Audacity is a free sound editor that does what you're describing. You just have to extract the sound from the video and use sound only to do the multitracks, then save all the tracks into a single file and sync it with the video, which is pretty easy even though it might sound hard. That's what I do. I use Goldwave to take the sound out of the video and save it as a wav file so Audacity can use it.

I thought you could do everything with Garage Band, but I haven't used it. Audacity is a free sound editor that does what you're describing. You just have to extract the sound from the video and use sound only to do the multitracks, then save all the tracks into a single file and sync it with the video, which is pretty easy even though it might sound hard. That's what I do. I use Goldwave to take the sound out of the video and save it as a wav file so Audacity can use it.

There is add on that you can get for Audacity that will extract the sound for you as well.

I found an interesting looking vintage uke going for a song on Gumtree today. I couldn't resist, so I contacted the seller only to find that I was the second person to do so. Oh well, such is life.

Just checked. Audacity is not available on iPad.

You should be able to do what you want in Garage Band. That's what it's for. I use a multi track audio recorder but you should be able to do what you want with Garage Band. You do need to wear headphones when recording second and subsequent tracks. In fact it's essential to prevent overecording the playback of the earlier tracks.

It might be worth checking the main forum, there are members there who use iPad for recording. Worth doing as they will be able to suggest extra hardware to make life easier and do a better job.

Last edited:
The atmosphere at Hampden Park was electric on the 10th of June 2017.
With one minute to go Scotland were leading 2-1 from 2 Leigh Griffiths
free kick that beautifully beat Joe Hart the english goalkeeper.
The crowd went mental since Scotland had not beaten England in an
international game for 32 years. 4 minutes of extra time were added
and Harry Kane for the auld enemy, broke many Scottish heart by scoring
a late equaliser in the last minute of the game. Oh that sweet delirium
when we thought we had won. A day to live in the memory.
The stadium was rocking with the Hampden roar. One lion did roar louder than three.

Just checked. Audacity is not available on iPad.

You should be able to do what you want in Garage Band. That's what it's for. I use a multi track audio recorder but you should be able to do what you want with Garage Band. You do need to wear headphones when recording second and subsequent tracks. In fact it's essential to prevent overecording the playback of the earlier tracks.

It might be worth checking the main forum, there are members there who use iPad for recording. Worth doing as they will be able to suggest extra hardware to make life easier and do a better job.

Thanks Geoff. I will indeed check the main forum. I am a cheapskate though, so if I can avoid buying extra hardware I will :cool:

Hi all, I haven't been around a lot as been rehearsing and gigging with a ukulele group among other things. I also have been writing and illustrating a book for beginners ukulele - hope I'm allowed to post the link here? (mods please remove if not!) I'm busy formatting it for a print-on-demand version, so for now it's just an eBook - the print version should be up on Amazon in a couple of days.

I saw so many people online asking the same questions over and over when they're first learning that I thought I'd try to answer those questions that seem to always crop up rather than writing a step-by-step book beginner's book (although I may now write one of those too!) Book is here if anyone's interested! Cheers : ) also on the UK Australia kindle store etc.

ukebook cover.jpg

Hi all, I haven't been around a lot as been rehearsing and gigging with a ukulele group among other things. I also have been writing and illustrating a book for beginners ukulele - hope I'm allowed to post the link here? (mods please remove if not!) I'm busy formatting it for a print-on-demand version, so for now it's just an eBook - the print version should be up on Amazon in a couple of days.

I saw so many people online asking the same questions over and over when they're first learning that I thought I'd try to answer those questions that seem to always crop up rather than writing a step-by-step book beginner's book (although I may now write one of those too!) Book is here if anyone's interested! Cheers : ) also on the UK Australia kindle store etc.

View attachment 100897

This is EXCEEDINGLY exciting stuff, Elena! I am very impressed and I don't doubt that I would find a copy very beneficial! Well done you!!!

Top Bottom