Roland Microcube GUITAR Amp and U Bass?

ohiopicker

Reaction score
Has anyone used a U Bass and the guitar microcube with decent results? I am looking to buy a microcube to use with a guitar, concert uke and the U Bass. Given that the Microcube RX Bass amp is five watts, i don't see much difference between the two amps. Again, I am looking to hear from someone who has run a U Bass through a guitar microcube, and your impression.

Thanks!

The microcube will be fine with the guitar & uke, but not the UBass.

Has anyone used a U Bass and the guitar microcube with decent results? I am looking to buy a microcube to use with a guitar, concert uke and the U Bass. Given that the Microcube RX Bass amp is five watts, i don't see much difference between the two amps. Again, I am looking to hear from someone who has run a U Bass through a guitar microcube, and your impression.

Thanks!

Any small guitar amp will be marginal with the U-Bass. I do sometimes use a ZT Lunchbox Jr with my U-Bass. It can be powered by any one of a number of those phone charging external batteries (or by their external battery pack). I don't like the Roland Microcube guitar or Bass RX. I sold my Bass RX. I don't like the Yamaha Thr series with bass.

My go to portable bass amp is the Phil Jones Double Four with an external battery. It is excellent, but pricey. But it is a real bass amp and sounds great with a fair amount of power. If I just need a little bit of amplification and extreme portability I use the lunchbox Jr. The guitar microcube doesn't really have a speaker to handle bass, but the bass RX does and still sounds bad.

My problem is I don't want to wrap up more than $150.00 for a battery/ac amp for it. It will be played with a Roland AC33 (guitar or uke) in either a campground setting or line in to a stick PA . That is why I thought a low power amp might be sufficient (even if barely).

The biggest problem I have with the Roland amps is that they tend to have a diffuse sound and don't have any "cut" to them. My experience with them outdoors is that the sound diffuses so much that when you turn it up loud enough even to hear the bass (not even to have the bass loud) that the sound distorts so horribly that it can't be used. I find that the lunchbox junior has more "cut". My problem with the Yamaha is that the sound tends to break up on the bass notes. A lot of people have used the Pignose outdoors so that might be OK.

Any time you run an instrument which produces lower frequencies (ubass, electric bass, keyboard, drums, mic'd tuba, etc) through a guitar amp, you risk blowing the speaker. The electronics can usually handle the lower frequencies just fine, but the speakers were designed for frequency range of the guitar, which does not go that low. So the result is that the electronics can produce low frequency volume that the speaker can't handle. No doubt, plenty of people will tell you they have done it without problem (I do it frequently, but I keep the volume down, and I'm using a crappy amp that I won't care if I damage), but it is a serious risk. Plus, the sound will usually be pretty lame. You really need a bass amp for quality sound.

When I frist started playing bass uke about a year ago with a Gold Tone GT MicroBass, I used my Crate Limo combo amp that I bought for my guitars 15 years ago for $350; 50 watts, lead acid battery, two inputs and effects. It was fine for smaller gigs, but had it's limitations for bass. I then went with a Phil Jones Double Four, as Katysax mentioned, more expensive but great. The other bass player in our group uses a Kala U-Bass, Pyramid strings, with a Pig Nose Hog and as long as he does not push the volume, it's pretty good.

Last edited:
With modern speakers, the lower frequency should not damage them. You'll damage any speaker if you push it too hard. However, guitar amps aren't made to handle the low frequencies so they just don't sound that good. Some do better than others, but to get the full spectrum of sound you need a bass amp.

With modern speakers, the lower frequency should not damage them. You'll damage any speaker if you push it too hard. However, guitar amps aren't made to handle the low frequencies so they just don't sound that good. Some do better than others, but to get the full spectrum of sound you need a bass amp.

I hear what you are saying, but based on my hearing samples of amplified Ubass, I does not appear that there is much "depth" to the notes. That is the reason it seems hard to believe a Ubass would damage a guitar amp. Conversely, it seems hard to believe a bass amp would make a huge difference in producing both the fundamentals and the harmonic overtones of a Ubass.

The reason there's no depth and harmonic overtones is because your playing with the wrong amp and a cheap one at that. If your Ubass is an older model it's a passive pickup. Passive pickups usually need a preamp to boost the impedance. It's changes the whole sound and power of the bass. Newer ones have an active pickup with the preamp built it. I personally like the passive pickup, it seems to have more of a standup bass sound.

Because of the great advice I got from the guys posting now,I recently upgraded my amp to a Phil Jones Double4 with a computer battery and Baggs preamp.. It weighs 8.9lbs.and puts out 75watts of pure bass thumpin sound. It changed my Chennel Bass from one of kind of whimpy to the best bass I think I've ever played in all my years of playing. the added Baggs preamp made a big difference in depth for the pieazo pickup.

If you want a portable amp that'll do both instruments, a bit higher budget would make a big difference in what you're looking for. Played thru the proper amp, the Ubass rocks bigtime and cleans up the clarity of either instrument..

It blows me away how a 75 watt amp can weigh that little and put out the clean sound and power it does. My Fender Rumbler30 weighed over 35lbs with 30 watts of muddy sounding wattage. If you don't need to go portable there are more options in your price range. If you're like a few of us in here, this won't be your last amp anyway; kind of like UAS.

=

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying, but based on my hearing samples of amplified Ubass, I does not appear that there is much "depth" to the notes. That is the reason it seems hard to believe a Ubass would damage a guitar amp. Conversely, it seems hard to believe a bass amp would make a huge difference in producing both the fundamentals and the harmonic overtones of a Ubass.

a ubass is HARD on the fundamental. I find it pushes my little amp much harder than a steel stringed short or long scale bass. Farting out happens at a much lower volume.

As soon as that Pig Nose Hog gets pushed a little too much, it farts like crazy. The Phil Jones Double Four is clean all the way. It really is amazing how it producers a bass sound so well, and so incredibly small.

PhilJones DoubleFour300.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your contributions. Kohanmike's response made the most sense to me. In response to Patrick Madsen's comment, I am just getting started with this and have only heard samples. I have not played the Ubass through any amp, cheap or otherwise.

Amplifying a bass, Ubass or otherwise, is all about moving air. In order to make it loud(er) you have to move a lot of air. There are two ways to do so. The first is with the volume of cone area - the bigger the speaker, the more air it moves. The second is with the travel of the cone - the further it can move back and forth, the more air it moves.

Most small, portable amps use fairly small speakers due to space limitations. This leaves you with the need for a longer travel in order to move a sufficient amount of air. Unfortunately, most of the are spec'ed with shorter travel speakers which more accurately meet the frequency requirements of instruments which play in higher registers than the bass. The ones which are capable of the longer travel are generally quite a bit more expensive due to the tighter manufacturing tolerances required, the result being that a small, efficient, good-sounding bass amp is generally as expensive as normal sized bass rig if not moreso.

This leaves us with the option of increasing the cone area, either by using larger speakers or more of them, both options which preclude smaller speaker cabinets. FWIW, the fullest, richest bass tone I've ever been able to achieve was with an Ampeg or Acoustic 8 X 10 cabinet. However, moving those things from gig to gig requires an amount of effort I am both unwilling to put forth or pay someone else to do. :D

As far as amplified Ubass sound, I've found them to sound extremely full and detailed, given the proper amplification gear. At shows where I've used mine with electric cigar box guitars and even a when performing with a heavier alternative band, comments from audience members have provided similar observations. As a matter of fact, my little Rumbler has literally stolen the show a few times even when sharing the stage with some of the finest handmade custom CBGs.

FWIW, the fullest, richest bass tone I've ever been able to achieve was with an Ampeg or Acoustic 8 X 10 cabinet. However, moving those things from gig to gig requires an amount of effort I am both unwilling to put forth or pay someone else to do.

If you haven't seen my post earlier about the Carvin amp I bought, here it is in a nutshell; using the Double Four in a room with a small audience works great, but when I tried to use it outdoors with our leader on a PA (which I couldn't hook into), and an audience of about 200, it did not cut it.

I have nerve damage in my neck and shoulders, so I looked for the best power to weight amp I could find. It turned out to be a made to order Carvin MB15 combo bass amp, 200 watts 8 ohm and a 15" neo 400 watt speaker. It weighs 24.6 lbs 12"D x 17"W x 18"H. I was so impressed with it, I ordered the matching extension 115MBE speaker, 22.3 lbs, which brings the amp up to 250 watts at 4 ohm with two 15" speakers, both $810 out the door, I mean it is KICK BUTT! When I use that amp with or with out the extension, I will use the Double Four as a monitor for myself and the band because I roll around the Carvin in an old lady shopping cart sitting in front of me with my music stand and bass hanger attached to it.

Carvin 1 front cart.jpg
Carvin 2 front cart.jpg
Carvin 2 Back of cart.jpg

Last edited:
A cool rig indeed. I am just starting out with uke bass so this is well beyond my ability and means at present.

Top Bottom