Pono Seconds?

JustinJ

Reaction score
I saw a second in the marketplace without a 2 on the label. I thought in the past they put a 2 on the label.

Has this changed? If it has changed, how are they marking seconds?

Maybe it wasn't marked as a second at the factory.
Sometimes they miss things, and get returns or rejects from stores.
HMS rejects lots of ukes that are not up to their standards.
I would guess those would be sold as seconds without having been marked originally as a second?

One of my absolute favourite Ukes is a Pono 2nd. It is a RTSH Spruce top with unreal sound. A bit of glue.

If you get a good one, I wouldn't care if it was a second.

I've bought a refurb 6 string tenor Pono from Paradise Ukes....great value. Couldn't locate the problem.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago I was checking the labels on a bunch of instruments and don't remember seeing any obvious markings.
The one I bought is not marked, but it's a solid body.
My impression was that the instruments are checked once they arrive here, in HI(there were literally stacked cartons of ukulele there), and certain instruments that don't pass muster are not allowed to move up the food chain.

I did a quick check of most the instruments and I found obvious flaws on only two. The others I would think one would be hard pressed to find anything wrong, and I'm pretty picky. I think you could equate most flaws as typical of an instrument that sits out in a showroom.

I'm not sure how/if/where they are marking the instruments. On the example I bought, only my honesty identifies it as a 2nd.

They must not be marking them as seconds anymore. I'm pretty sure they use to put a 2 on the label. Does anyone remember these Pono with a 2 on the label?

My only worry is that some people may not be honest when they resell the instrument. I think you should tell someone it was a second.

I agree about 2nd instruments. I do not care about few marks if it sounds good. Usually you get a great deal. I'm the same way about buying refurbished electronics from the manufacturer. You save half and get the same model. I can spend my money on other things.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight...
someone could buy a Pono seconds and resell it here, on Reverb, The Flea Market or the Bay and no one would know they were getting a seconds?

I would think Pono would want to identify seconds before they enter the market so consumers know if they are getting a seconds or not in the resale market.

Would this not also have some effect on the value of the Pono MTD that I want to sell in the near future?
Or for that matter, any Pono for sale.

I assume this is talking about my Pono 2nd in the marketplace. In 1st pic there is a "2" in the middle of the sticker but it's not clear because of the light reflection, but if you look harder, you can see it.

I've sold several(not many) ukes in the marketplace and I'm pretty honest about the ukes I sold since they are all babies to me.

I assume this is talking about my Pono 2nd in the marketplace. In 1st pic there is a "2" in the middle of the sticker but it's not clear because of the light reflection, but if you look harder, you can see it.

I've sold several(not many) ukes in the marketplace and I'm pretty honest about the ukes I sold since they are all babies to me.

Please read the comment by the flat tire. Post #5.
That is what concerns me.

Pono 2nds have a stamp on the label - "2". Almost always it's a very minor cosmetic issue so it's nothing to be concerned with anyway.

Pono 2nds have a stamp on the label - "2". Almost always it's a very minor cosmetic issue so it's nothing to be concerned with anyway.

I agree with Andrew. Tremendous value. Fabulous tone on my second. People would be hard pressed to find the issue.

Top Bottom