Season 197 - Forty years on, it's 1975

These were not the T-Rex songs that you were seeking my Padowan.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

no really, it's just someone told me those t rex songs contained a very secret message to me, from princess leia, is all.......................... ;)

ooooooooooooooooooh abba! :bowdown:

that is really great, but the irritating twit in me feels compelled to point out that we shouldn't really be posting until it becomes sunday in hawaii, which is still about 4 and a half hours off, i have this page bookmarked it gives me a clock that shows hawaii time http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/honolulu

the reasons for this are shrouded in mystery and indeed history

just set that time machine of yours ahead by about 5 hours and you'll be fine ;)

Oh, I do, I do, but do you really want to hear it again? I know how much all of you love it :)

Yeah, I did it once, and have no desire to ever do that song again.

Unless, of course, I am tempted with obscene amounts of money...

That moment when all the songs I know from the list were done are WAY out of my ability to play (cough cough Queen cough cough)

I think I've found one or two that I could manage. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to try to learn some new songs that I've never listened to.

I know we aren't posting our videos yet but, would anyone be saddened if I posted David Cassidy and the Turtles dancing and singing a disco-er yet cover of "Darlin'"?

No?
Okay!!!

It says Loving You peaked at only 49 and was on the chart for one 1 week? Is that right? I thought it was a lot more popular than that.

Nevermind. Apparently I don't understand how this chart works because I thought the peak positions and weeks on chart seems to change.

Not too sure where you are seeing that for Loving You, but just to clarify...the weekly top 50 charts give the highest position that song had reached up to that week. So if Loving You came in at 49, that weeks chart would say highest position 49, weeks on chart = 1. But then the following week it could Go up to 30, so those numbers would change to 30, and 2. The book says it peaked at 2 and was on the chart for 10 weeks, so in the Great Obscurity Stakes it would score a measly 2 points. But hey, it's a great song, so someone needs to do it...

Last edited:
(CJ mode) So not only will we not be seeing your face, but as compensation we will be seeing your knees... (/end CJ mode)
lol!!!!!!!! oh...................... i do love CJ mode!!!!!!!!!!!

re the weekly charts thing, it's fascinating - for me! to look at them week on week and see a song climb and then fall... i'm having a shed load of fun just looking at the weekly charts, and experiencing extreme nostalgia, and picking out my fave songs that i remember and fancy maybe trying for this week.

if you want to go down the obscure songs/low charting songs route, to get that obscure songs prize, then yes you need to really do your homework and look at songs that just bubble away at the bottom of the top 50, and don't climb higher. a quicker way would be to pick out songs you fancy, maybe from a title or band name that appeals, and then check wikipedia and see how high it charted. if you're not too bothered by wanting to be in with a chance of the obscure prize, just immerse yourself in the wonderfulness of those 100 top selling songs for the whole year. i'm not biased just 'cos i love the seventies............................ well not MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................. but that top 100 is awash with amazingness, if you just wanna have a good time, and not get bogged down with weekly chart research, just check that top 100 out.

:2cents:

^
that's two new pence ;) the UK had only just gone decimal, in 1971, so everyone was probably furrowing their brows every time they went shopping, and going, what's that in REAL money??????? :confused:

"ding-a-dong"

originally performed by teach-in, this song won eurovision in 1975 for the netherlands. the song then peaked at number 13 in the UK singles chart. yeah baby!

WHAT a great time this was for eurovision! the previous year, abba had won with waterloo, and the following year, brotherhood of man won with save your kisses for me. of course........................... i think any time, is a great time for eurovision :uhoh:

The no brained FB algorithms found this video too offensive to be on their otherwise pristine site. What do you think?

Last edited:
What a great start! Take the dog out for a walk, come back, there are already four time machines, ready to whisk me back to the school radio station studio. OK then, the stationery cupboard.

Birds eye view of my ukulele : ding-a-dong. Right in there with a Eurovision classic. Who’d have expected that? But blimey, what a faultless performance. Even those hard chords up on the nosebleed frets. Nice one!

Wee ginga yin: I only have eyes for you. Oh yes, beautifully played, and it really suits that voice of yours. And then it gets a second go! The ska version. Madness, they call it madness. And equally as good. Thanks!

Decaturcomp: the black superman. Great version of one of those novelty records which deserves to remembered. (Johnny Wakelin did have a follow up – another Ali themed song about his fight in Zaire - but that was about his lot I think) But play it well, sing it well, and you have a great song. Thanks for remembering it. And I love the crowd sounds at the end.

Xommen: imagine. Yes indeed – nicely played, and sung. You really bring something to this song. Love it. And I can’t quite believe that it only got to number 6 in 1975. What were we thinking?

This is my favorite kind of theme! I got the day off tomorrow*, and I look forward to spending the day working on something from 1975!

*technically, I haven't actually taught a class (I'm an ESL teacher) for the last six weeks, but that was because of back surgery and the recovery. Tomorrow is the first day I am available to teach, but I have no classes scheduled.

Steve and friends - this has always been one of my favorite songs off the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack. And what do you know, it's from this particular year. The soundtrack as a whole is glamtastic - original versions mixed with covers by Thom Yorke, etc. I dig it, you might dig it too.

Top Bottom