Fishing Line as strings Brands

Tenore76

Reaction score
This is a follow-up from an earlier post about strings:

I'm presenting to other music teachers on using ukuleles in the music classroom, and trying to give them options for economical options for instruments and strings that are still good. (For some reason, some of my colleagues at other schools have experienced a lot of broken strings on ukes...I have never broken one myself, nor had one of my 3-year-old classroom ukes get broken strings, with middle-schoolers playing them daily...)

Most posts mention Seaguar as a brand of fishing line that is good (and I agree, from my experience), and though that is apparently a premium brand, it still ends up being more than half of what a classroom teacher would have to pay for strings. What are some other brands that you've used with decent results that are not quite as expensive?

I "used" to be a proponent of fishing line. I never invested in Seaguar, except for a recent purchase because it was easier to get .0224 Seaguar Premium to use for A strings than it was to drive further to get complete sets and throw 3/4 away.

About 5 years ago I bought some off-brand fluorocarbon fishing line really cheap, but it was too much of a compromise. I was given some Seaguar from OldePhart and it works well enough, but I'm not interested in making the investment also I'm using Oasis strings (which work better for me) and Worth on a soprano.

I do know someone who uses Yo-Zuri and it will work well enough. Not well enough for me, but it may be what you are looking for. I don't know the cost.

John

I suggest that the fishing line alternative may not be the most beneficial for music teachers and students.

It would not surprise me if most broken strings by students occur due to poor tuning skills leading to overtension. Fishing line may prove too strong in unskilled hands, leading to bridge and/or tuner problems (much more expensive!).

There are folk on this forum who work for a couple of the major string makers. Perhaps they may offer suggestions on affordable alternatives (i.e., bulk buying, etc.).

Some information here...

From Got A Ukulele (link)...includes suggested string weight (pound) for each string. I have found buying bulk works for those strings that get broken more (high A on ukulele or high E on guitar). I also could see the benefit of having a spool of fishing line in the right weight as well.

There are folk on this forum who work for a couple of the major string makers. Perhaps they may offer suggestions on affordable alternatives (i.e., bulk buying, etc.).

Buying bulk is a good option, as the "bulk" (see what I did there?) of the cost usually resides in the labor and packaging area.

Depending too, I know some string companies - and ukulele companies as well - that will donate to school programs. Also, there are a number of "Music in the Classroom" type of large programs out there (on local and national levels) which also can help fund music classes.

Lots of options available.

Twice a year I visit family with in walking distance of a factory that manufactures fishing line. (and has a great pro-shop) I keep meaning to stop by.
Seaguar recommendations from "Got a ukulele"
30lb - Soprano / Concert A string
40lb - Soprano / Concert G string or Tenor A string
50lb - Soprano / Concert E string or Tenor A or G string
60lb - Soprano / Concert C string, Tenor E string
90lb - Tenor C string

Does anyone have recommendations for the Tennis racket strings ? I have a cheep uke with a flag on it I want to put Red White and Blue strings on

I use P-Line, 1 - 40lb, 2 - 60 lb, 3 - 80lb, 4 - 50 lb, it's half flouro and half nylon, sounds mellow and lasts. Other fishing line sounds cheap. This stuff is premium fishing line but that's still cheap for strings. In fishing stores I only see flouro in very light gauges, plus for me it sounds a little harsh. I like the mellow-but-golden tone of P-Line.

Sound sample - soprano ukes with P-Line:

https://soundcloud.com/user663189798/catherine-the-brave

Last edited:
I think I'll try some baling wire on my guitar next....

Fishing line just doesn't make sense to me, sure for $80 or so, you can have strings for the rest of your life. That is unless you don't like the sound, or want a different sound. Martins are a little over $5 at just about any music store and I love them on some ukes, not so much on others. I like experimenting with strings too much to be stuck with one mediocre sounding set for the rest of my life.

I live in Port Aransas, TX: "The Fishing Capitol of Texas"
And yes, I fish.

One suggestion about saving cost on fluorocarbon:
My main fishing line is braided but I buy small spools (25yds.) of fluorocarbon for my leader line.
I can get 25yrds of 20lb. test for about 5 bucks. That isn't bad.
Try to look for small spools of fluorocabon leader line to save money.

Good luck.

Fishing line just doesn't make sense to me, sure for $80 or so, you can have strings for the rest of your life.

For an individual, it probably doesn't make sense.

But for a school, where you might need to regularly restring 50 ukes, the math changes drastically.

Top Bottom